PDA

View Full Version : Amp installation under passenger seat

4thgenceli
04-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Any worries with doing this? ie. over heating, etc?

I'm looking to install a lil' pioneer 760w amp under the seat (shorter battery cable, easier to run all the wiring from the center to under the seat instead of all the way back, etc).

Any suggestions for doing this? I have some 1/8th in steel bar I'll use to mount it to and then mount the bar to the seat rail to secure it.

187flatliner
04-16-2011, 05:03 AM
kinda a tough fit.......have you thought of behind the glovebox? i know kevin over on st162 has one there.....im gonna mount my second one in the rear quarter panel hide-away when i get to it......my cross-over is going behind the glovebox.

alltracNyx
04-16-2011, 03:06 PM
How's the clearance between the seat and the top of the amplifier?

The Captain
04-17-2011, 05:07 AM
An amp with a cooling fan or a class D amp would be best. I wouldn't rely on convection type cooling under a seat. But that's just me.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Both my amplifiers are under my seats. Free heating!

I want to mount them on a flat base, so the carpet doesn't act as an insulator. Never had an issue.

Luni
04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I dont like putting amps under seats cause you have to drill holes through the floorpan for them. I dont like drilling holes in floorpans. I usually mount them on the BACK of the rear seats.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
I drill nothing. They just sit under there and get moved when I need to vacuum or find lost change.

4thgenceli
04-18-2011, 06:49 PM
It would of fit, but I was concerned with cooling & the wires. it would of been a tight fit and I didn't want to short anything. I ended up putting it in the cargo area with the box.

Now on Jasmine, I'll install my fosgate 200a4 under the passenger seat.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-18-2011, 07:34 PM
To be fair, both of my amplifiers aren't rated higher then 50amps. The Panasonic has fans that vent it well enough (it drives my subs) and the Alpine never gets warm enough to be of any concern. It sits next to my HD Radio receiver on the pasenger side.

187flatliner
04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
i have nothing but cobwebs under my seat.

Galcobar
04-19-2011, 01:08 AM
I dont like putting amps under seats cause you have to drill holes through the floorpan for them. I dont like drilling holes in floorpans. I usually mount them on the BACK of the rear seats.

Felt the same way about drilling holes -- so I pulled up the carpet and epoxied bolts to the floorpan upside down. No damage to the interior, but having it under the seat adds significant time to the task of removing/stealing it. Not a big gain in safety, but some, and saves me from having to deal with the amp when I need to drop my seat backs.

Luni
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Good idea.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
...but having it under the seat adds significant time to the task of removing/stealing it...

I may actually invest time into locking my amplifiers down this time around. I had thought about using a cable around the floor pan seat braces. Hmmm, security...

Luni
04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I used Velcro on BabyBears in his STI. It works ok. But wish they were more secure. I really dislike putting amps under the seats. That's where he wanted em tho.

Galcobar
04-20-2011, 06:27 AM
Well, mine's a tiny 250W two-channel, so heat's not much of an issue and there's plenty of clearance.