PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on under-drive pulleys?

Doowstados
04-13-2011, 05:29 AM
Worth it? Not worth it? Why?

I'm under the assumption that the 5FSE does not make enough power in the first place to provide significant gains with an under drive pulley. What do you think?

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-13-2011, 05:41 AM
You're better off deleting your AC and your power steering pump if you want to "notice" anything. It will be minimal at best.

T-spoon
04-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Keep in mind this will underdrive all belt driven accessories, including the alternator. You can work around that, but in my experience it can end up adding complications for very little benefit.

aye87
04-14-2011, 05:39 AM
do they make light weight pulley? my timing belt and water pump way over due for change

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-14-2011, 05:55 AM
do they make light weight pulley? my timing belt and water pump way over due for change

You pulley acts as a harmonic balancer. Get an OEM if it needs replacing so as not to mess with the balancing of your shaft or rods. DON'T try and lighten it. You can get lighter pulleys for your other accessories, but they likely won't come cheap for what minimal gains you will get at best.

v8killer
04-17-2011, 01:34 AM
listen to him ----^

v8killer
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
i have actually been wanting to build a N/A stroker

H8PVMNT
04-25-2011, 03:47 AM
I have one on my 5S and nothing has exploded or worn out prematurely. The gains are noticable but very minimal. I just put on an aluminum flywheel and I notice the difference with that way more than the underdrive pulley.

I'm thinking that gearing would be the best practical, noticable bang for the buck with theis engine. That lower geared trans out of a 6th gen, the "S54", is suposed to be a good fit and provide a better launch, ect. I mess with alot of Toyota 4x4s and re-gearing makes a huge difference in street and off road performance. They are very much like a 5SFE Celica, because you can't do much in the way of performance that you will notice to the 4 bangers without spending too much money. I'm begining to think it would be fun to change the gearing om my car too. My wife has a 6th gen with the lower geared trans, when we get it on the road I will know for sure and if it feels better I'm shopping for that tranny from a wreck somewhere for my '91.