PDA

View Full Version : Time management...

4thgenceli
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
How the hell do y'all do it?!

People here pulling motors/transmissions doing clutch jobs or full engine swaps in a day. Granted I know I can pull the engine/transmission out of either car in a weekend with some help.

Case in point:
This weekend I have the following tasks ahead of me.

Oil change on the mazda.
Air filters on both cars
Replace valve cover gaskets on Stormtrooper. (hopefully that is the reason for the burned oil smell and the leaks around the distributor)
Upgrade grounds & alternator wiring on Stormtrooper
Install remaining audio equipment (amp) in the 'trooper

On top of that, I would like to finish installing the axles on Jasmine (passenger side is giving me a hard time), complete the intercooler pipes and close up the front end (also get the power steering cooler line reattached), and install the fuel pump/tank back on the chassis.

I'm about to pay someone to come out and help me knock all this shit out. Now I know why it's taking me a fucking year (almost 2) to finish this fucking swap. I don't have time to work on it :(

alltracman78
04-13-2011, 04:40 AM
If you were closer you could pay me. :D

Oh, and to make you feel better, I can take a Tacoma [or Tundra], drive it in the shop, remove the body, strip the frame, install all parts on new frame, reinstall body, and align.
All in one day.

MCcelica
04-13-2011, 04:51 AM
For me it comes with the amount of repetitiveness of what I'm doing. My body project is taking forever. Because the only thing I've done with body work before is one rattle can job, and I painted someone's spoiler before that. Also rattle can. So my whole project is also a learning process. I know a couple guys around the board drop engines out like it's cool... because they've done it 4 or 5 times on their own vic's, or in Jeremy's case, done it on a lot of vics. As for me, it only took 15 mikes to get the fenders off that I sent to Joe. Cause I've done it about a billion times already. That's what makes the big difference to me, just cause I don't want to screw stuff up, so I take more time.

187flatliner
04-13-2011, 07:43 AM
might as well add a dizzy seal when you take off the value cover too.

Luni
04-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Theres shit I can do in a day. Theres shit I dinky dilly dally my way through cause I like to take my time. Your problem Tim is you keep falling asleep on the job you lazy bastard.

bloodMoney
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
^Seriously.

Stacy and I can get the engine out of any of our cars in about 3 hours. We do take our time getting it all back together though, but that's because I hate feeling rushed while I'm working on them. That's when mistakes happen.

The Captain
04-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Ah, turn off the xbox?

Hookecho
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Snort some meth.

Terracar
04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
No Meth - then Mudhoney would be 4 different colors with the exhaust cut off and a hole cut in the hood. Then you would cut the springs and rattle can your wheels lime green. Say no to Meth!

To answer your question - it really comes down to prioritizing and making the time.

It also helps when you have done it several times as the others have said. Example - I can pull the engine in my Alltrac in an hour and some change - putting it back in ready to fire maybe an hour and a half (I have dropped that motor at least 5 times now) as I have it down to an art with manuevering around the PS pump and everything. But I just helped a friend replace the head on his 2zz and put the motor back in the car (motor was already pulled and prepped for the head (that is what she said)). It took us 6 hours. I had only worked on the engine once before, about a year ago so it was much slower going.

For lists like yours - I always find that doing all the quick easy things first then the larger tasks help keep me on track - and if chit hits the fan I still feel like I have accomplished something. (Yes I am an instant gratification person)

-Terracar

CollapsedNut
04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
No Meth - then Mudhoney would be 4 different colors with the exhaust cut off and a hole cut in the hood. Then you would cut the springs and rattle can your wheels lime green. Say no to Meth!

Im confused. Are you infering my car is riced and I do meth?

T-spoon
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
It's all about tools and experience. If you don't have the best of either or both of those, it takes time. I know, because that's how it usually is for me. The tools part of it is not mentioned enough IMO. The right tool can be the difference in fighting with one fastener for 2 hours or having it out in 5 seconds.

alltracNyx
04-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Well, besides what everyone else has said, you also have a houseful of kids and animals, and color blindness. Even with the best of planning and intentions, small distractions make everything take ten times longer.

4thgenceli
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah.. i need to win the lottery.

Then I can stay at home, and do everything I need with no worries of time or money :)

Just sucks though that I get distracted easily. Case in point, I was doing the intercooler pipes, and saw some bolts on the ground. Spent an hour tracking where then went only to find out they were from my bolt bucket :(

Doowstados
04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah.. i need to win the lottery.

Then I can stay at home, and do everything I need with no worries of time or money :)

Just sucks though that I get distracted easily. Case in point, I was doing the intercooler pipes, and saw some bolts on the ground. Spent an hour tracking where then went only to find out they were from my bolt bucket :(

:laugh: :11doh:

Terracar
04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Im confused. Are you infering my car is riced and I do meth?

Well I suppose if the shoe fits.

No just basing off a methhead who lives near my friend's place who had bought a early-mid 90s T-bird in pristine condition. I look at it now... there are even chunks of wood randomly attached to the car.

-Terracar

ChrisD
04-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Focus! haha.

For me things are usually quick until that one obstacle that manifests itself in every job in the form of a rusted/seized bolt.

4thgenceli
04-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Focus! haha.

For me things are usually quick until that one obstacle that manifests itself in every job in the form of a rusted/seized bolt.

Rust is a 4 letter word that doesn't exist in Arizona. Rice is though...but not rust.

subspec
04-16-2011, 09:26 AM
as stated above if you have the right tools you can get it done quicker. if a bolt breaks its nice to have easy outs to remove the bolt/stud and replace it with a new one. i cant tell you how many times ive broken bolts in my 91 but it only takes 3 min to remove it if its a pain in the ass. theres always the right tool for the right job.

ChrisD
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe no rust, but I'm sure bolts still seize!

But if thats the case, you have NO EXCUSE!

4thgenceli
04-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Fuck you Chris.

You jinxed me. She started up and I pulled her up closer to the garage. Testing resistance around some wires for the alternator... then went to check voltage around the battery/etc terminals. Forgot to take the unit outta ohms, and then touched the red to black and vice versa. Ended up shorting out my starter relay :doh: Gotta replace it now lmao.

ChrisD
04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
:D

alltracNyx
04-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Fail.

4thgenceli
04-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Meh, new one is ready to swap in. Fucking OReilly phailled at ordering my part so I have to wait till next weekend now to the valve covers.