PDA

View Full Version : Cali smog issues with JDM st185, need to trade my JDM head for your USDM head

shreddr69
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, so does anyone have a 3SGTE st185 USDM head they will trade me for a JDM head? I cannot see how to drill holes for the egr valve ports I need for california state SMOG certification. The angles are too extreme. I'm just getting into the mechanical of this car and the smog situation has put me at a screeching halt so if anyone has any way they can help, it would be much appreciated. Also, would it just be possible to use my old head from the st165 or would I lose horsepower by doing that?

shreddr69
04-12-2011, 02:32 AM
Nevermind, I think I figures out how and where to drill the holes. There is a threaded plug. I will just take the head to a machine shop. Correct me if I am wrong but I think I was just missing the signs. Thanks....

alltracman78
04-13-2011, 04:43 AM
If you are actually trying to make the EGR work, that's going to be hard [not impossible] for the shop to do.
If you're just sticking the pipe on there, just weld the end of the pipe closed and glue two bolt heads to it.

shreddr69
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Why would it be hard ? I have a USDM intake manifold. As far as I can tell it is two holes in the head leading into the exhaust port. What am I missing?

alltracman78
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Drilling the hole from the top of the head to the exhaust port is the hard part. It has to be just right or you'll damage the head.

Carolina91GT-S
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I think I have a USDM 2nd gen 3SGTE head and intake manifold for my spare engine in my shop I might even have an EGR. I can let you know within a week. what I have exactly. PM me if you are interested in doing that trade and we can discuss it more.

~Chris