PDA

View Full Version : Messed up my rotor

klapa
04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I had some problems with my wheel bearing on the passenger side of my '91 Alltrac - I decided to swap the knuckle from my '93 GTS parts car to be sure the wheel bearing was the problem.

So that was all fine when I exchanged the knuckle but I found when I took off my Alltrac caliper that it had some really "hack" looking bolts from Lowes with many washers packed on the end of them attaching the caliper to the torque plate. So I changed those bolts with the ones from my '93 parts car - confident that I was doing the right thing.

I put everything together and spun the wheel - all things seemed alright.

Yet - when I rolled it down the drive and just drove around the local cul-de-sac I had this AWFUL grinding noise in time with wheel rotation that would go away if I put on the brakes or was turning left.

As it turned out - it was that the upper bolt mounting the caliper to the torque plate was long by maybe 1/32" - and while the wheel spun fine up on the jack stands the slightly protruding bolt that I did not notice dug into the inside of the rotor when the weight was put on the wheels.

So - I messed up my rotor on the inside side by cutting about a 1/4" wide by 1/32" deep groove in the very top of it.

I can still drive around town with it - but when comes a time I want to stress the thing I will need to change it.

T-spoon
04-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Ouch. +1 for putting the parts intended for the car on the car, regardless of what one thinks might interchange.

Really though, that does suck. Hope it wasn't a brand new rotor.