PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this exhaust set-up.

Doowstados
04-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I went down to my local muffler shop (Ed Hanson's) and got an estimate and Ed's opinion on what I should do to prepare my exhaust for my swap. He recommended a 2.5" system and said he can modify my catalytic converters to make them 2.5" and legal by cutting them back. I'm getting a 22" resonator and he's going to let me try on several mufflers so that I can pick out what I want.

Charging me $395 for the header back including cat modification, muffler, resonator and all mandrel bent piping. Sound fair?

Murgatroy
04-03-2011, 08:33 AM
For that amount of work and customer service, sounds fair enough to me.

I had one made several years ago, 2.5" with a cherry bomb and fart can for $200, from header back, but there was no customization work, we ditched the cat and it wasn't in Kommiefornia. I already had the cherry bomb and fart can too, so I was already into it for $100 before the exhaust was hung.

$400 isn't bad as long as you are cool with it.

Doowstados
04-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I'm definitely happy with it. They only stock high quality mufflers and legitimate resonators so no fart cans for me. Also, all pipes are either 304 stainless or powder coated. I'm excited to hear how it turns out and hopefully feel some power gain prior to my swap which is still a year away. I've been driving around with a 2" hole in my resonator for a couple of months now so I'm tired of hearing what equates to nails on a chalkboard every time I try to listen to some music. Thing sounds horrible on the freeway.

Realistically, can I expect a noticeable power gain over stock exhaust on a 5SFE?

Galcobar
04-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Short answer, no.

Doowstados
04-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Short answer, no.

Long answer?

Murgatroy
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Long answer?

You won't make power. Short and simple. There is no longer answer, just technobabble explaining why you won't make more power.

You might have better fuel economy, improved throttle response. But you won't get more than 3% or so power increase. That works out to around three and a half ponies.

Doowstados
04-04-2011, 01:14 AM
That's what I figured, murg. I'm pretty sure I'll see more than normal gains though, my current exhaust setup is smashed just behind the intake manifold with only about 1" of breathing space. Either way, this is more for swap prep than anything so I'll be more than happy with whatever comes if it.

Anyone have any specific recommendations for mufflers? What should I try out while I'm there?

4thgenceli
04-04-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm digging how the flowmaster 40, 44 and 80 series sounds. I may be getting either the 44 or 80 series.

Doowstados
04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm digging how the flowmaster 40, 44 and 80 series sounds. I may be getting either the 44 or 80 series.

I'll definitely give those a try when I'm there. I'll let you know how they sound.