PDA

View Full Version : How important is this:

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
I was comparing my oil pan to the one I pulled at the yard.

How important is the top piece in the pan I pulled of my motor, vs. the one I got without. New pan is on left, old pan is on right.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/4/1/6/oilpans.jpg

Honestly I have never seen the piece on the pan before. How much am I going to miss it?

UtahSleeper
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Think its a baffle to limit oil splashing around. What vehicle did you pull it from?

4thgenceli
04-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Think its a baffle to limit oil splashing around. What vehicle did you pull it from?

What he said.

Should be able to move it to the new oil pan without an issue. On the 3sgte I tore down the baffle was connected by iteself to the block assembly. IT keeps the oil from sloshing around away from the pickup and killing the motor.

Terracar
04-01-2011, 11:18 PM
My guess would be a 3sfe camry.

The top portion helps prevent the sloshing of oil onto the rotating mass (crank rods etc). As for how it would impact your engine - couldn't tell you - maybe a 1/4hp loss?. Why not reuse your existing oil pan? (or is this just a question of the purpose of said part?)

-Terracar

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm replacing a rusted through pan with a bad gasket. It came off a 91 Celica at the yard.

I've ran without one on my first celica with no known issues. I don't see how this would interfere.

The bolt holes are there for one to be mounted on. The one in my pan just happens to be tack welded in there.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-02-2011, 12:17 AM
So now the mystery has been solved as to why the pan failed.

I'm assuming at some point, the flex pipe at simply rusted out so the car was taken to a custom muffler place where they did a cheap job fixing the pipe. They banged the pan up to get the pipe to clear probably resulting in the two pinch holes in pan that were cemented closed.

With the new pan on, the pipe does not want to clear, so I will have to go to the freaking yard tomorrow morning and find a suitable flex pipe. Unless someone in the LA area has one I can borrow...

Hookecho
04-02-2011, 01:01 AM
I've still got my my whole 5sfe stock exhaust system laying around. It's from a 90 GTS. You need the flex pipe? I even have the oil pan that has the baffle.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-02-2011, 01:08 AM
I've still got my my whole 5sfe stock exhaust system laying around. It's from a 90 GTS. You need the flex pipe? I even have the oil pan that has the baffle.

I may take you up on that offer. I am leaving town next week, so if I dont have a running car till then I may be alright. The exhaust won't be worth the trouble to ship unless I can't find one tomorrow morning. Can you quote me on the pan? If I don't find the baffle tomorrow I will take you up on the offer for the pan. Thanks!

jaydog82
04-02-2011, 03:44 AM
i have a flex pipe i could cut out and send you, just pay shipping.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-02-2011, 03:48 AM
i have a flex pipe i could cut out and send you, just pay shipping.

I'll let you know if I don't get one tomorrow from the yard. At least I solved another mystery.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
So to wrap this thread up:

The shield in the pan helps cylinder 3 and 4 get oil. The pan is very shallow there to allow for exhaust clearance. With a flex pipe, you can swing the extra depth but risk rubbing. Without one, you're SOL. I got the proper pan and fitment is no longer the issue.

So much work to get a tall engine into a small bay.