PDA

View Full Version : I can't find a real resonator? Also, is 2.25 big enough?

Doowstados
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Been doing a lot of searching for the past two days for a real resonator, not a muffler that wishes it was a resonator. Anyone know of any websites that sell these? Also, the exhaust I'm installing is going to be 2.25". In a few months when I do my swap, will this be large enough to allow adequate air flow for the 3SGTE? California law won't let me upgrade my front cat beyond the stock 2". I'm planning on just taking out the front cat after I pass smog but I don't want to need an entire new exhaust system that needs to be switched out everytime I smog it after the swap. Hopefully that makes sense

Galcobar
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Resonators aren't expensive and they aren't sexy -- at least not real ones -- so finding them aftermarket usually consists of hitting up the local exhaust shop.

Doowstados
03-31-2011, 04:51 AM
Resonators aren't expensive and they aren't sexy -- at least not real ones -- so finding them aftermarket usually consists of hitting up the local exhaust shop.

I called a good muffler shop down the way from where I live. Gonna have them install everything for me and run some quality mandrel pipes.

Should 2.25" allow enough flow for my eventual 3S-GTE swap?

Hookecho
03-31-2011, 05:10 AM
I would go no less than 2.5in on your exhaust if you plan on swapping.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-31-2011, 05:10 AM
I called a good muffler shop down the way from where I live. Gonna have them install everything for me and run some quality mandrel pipes.

Should 2.25" allow enough flow for my eventual 3S-GTE swap?

Get a price from them. I like using tested places...

Doowstados
03-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Get a price from them. I like using tested places...

I have a few family members who have used this place before and the reviews online are excellent. I'll be getting an estimate either tomorrow or Friday.

Ed Hanson Muffler in San Diego.

I would go no less than 2.5in on your exhaust if you plan on swapping.

Will do. What to do about the front cat? Isn't it only 2"? (The one that bolts to the header on 5th gens)

Galcobar
03-31-2011, 05:55 AM
Pulled up Car Sound's website (parent company of MagnaFlow) and they actually have a separate catalogue for Cali-spec emissions. They list the direct-fit, which is the one which bolts up to the manifold. They also list a universal cat for the same section of the exhaust, and it's a 2.25-inch in/out. Makes sense given the stock direct-fit acts as the collector for the manifold and the front pipe is bigger than the rest of the exhaust (probably to accommodate the loss of area due to the pipe being bent). For that matter, the stock exhaust on a 3SGTE Celica is 2.25.

Doowstados
03-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Pulled up Car Sound's website (parent company of MagnaFlow) and they actually have a separate catalogue for Cali-spec emissions. They list the direct-fit, which is the one which bolts up to the manifold. They also list a universal cat for the same section of the exhaust, and it's a 2.25-inch in/out. Makes sense given the stock direct-fit acts as the collector for the manifold and the front pipe is bigger than the rest of the exhaust (probably to accommodate the loss of area due to the pipe being bent). For that matter, the stock exhaust on a 3SGTE Celica is 2.25.

I apologize. The rear is the 2" cat, not the front. I was looking at the same cats a couple of days ago. I can't legally make these equivalent to the diameter of the pipe, which I think is going to cause problems. Again, I hate California.

ALL California vehicles will no longer be based upon G.V.W. (Gross Vehicle Weight) and engine size. The Application look-ups below are the ONLY approved method for determining the correct part number for ALL California Vehicles. It is illegal in California to select a catalytic converter for installation based solely on vehicle weight, engine size, physical shape, size, configuration or pipe diameter.