PDA

View Full Version : Muffler decisions

4thgenceli
03-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Trying to decide on a muffler for Jasmine. She'll have a full 3" exhaust, flex pipe, no resonator. I'm hoping that I can get away without the resonator and not have that ricey sound.

I'm torn between the Flowmaster 40 series, 44, or 80.

Not sure which one this is, but it's a Flowmaster according to google search..
UR5M8Dqt3_E

40 series on a stock 5th gen GT
WrmLJ_UNw0I

Here's the 40 series on the Bel Aire. Kinda sounds like the celica just a lower tone by a hair.
om1tiuaVIBY

44 series on a charger
DS0D7LhoVjs

80 series on a mr2 spyder
jwlS144zxc0

I'm leaning more towards the 44 or the 80. I think with a larger exhaust (3") it won't have that ricey tone.

Thoughts?

Galcobar
03-30-2011, 03:36 AM
Get a resonator -- just make sure it's actually a resonator by design, and not a straight-through round-body muffler that marketers like to pretend is a resonator.

They're not expensive, won't impair your exhaust flow, and will get rid of the signature buzz of a badly done exhaust.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Use a resonator. Then call Borla and get their advice on a muffler.

http://www.borla.com/products/universal.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjDPhG_y8Kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRsTrUbQ-U

bzdweezy
03-30-2011, 06:45 AM
I like the way the 80 series sound, nice and deep. I would put that on my car

bloodMoney
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
I've got a 40 series on my 6G and I love it.

+1 on the resonator though.

Hookecho
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta on my Celica and it sounds great. I don't have a resonator and it doesn't have the slightest bit of a raspy tone. Just the deep and throaty sound that flowmaster is known for. I do have a resonator that I am going to install to help decrease interior resonance.

I had a Borla before that and the Flowmaster is better hands down imo. I also had that same Borla on my 5sfe before the swap and it did sound better on the 3sgte.

Btw, you really can't judge the sound of a muffler by only listening to a car revving. Especially in a video. It needs to be under load and running through the gears.

pintoBC_3sgte
03-31-2011, 12:30 AM
be like me and get a good ol fart cannon :) lol i dont think it sounds bad at all. dp back 2.5" exhaust

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/pintocrazy/celi/th_IMG_0873.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/pintocrazy/celi/?action=view&current=IMG_0873.mp4)

bzdweezy
03-31-2011, 01:18 AM
No video pinto...would like to hear it tho

pintoBC_3sgte
03-31-2011, 03:00 AM
No video pinto...would like to hear it tho

hmm.. try now.. changed privacy setting to everyone

pintoBC_3sgte
03-31-2011, 03:53 AM
wtf stupid facebook.. uploaded with photobucket

bzdweezy
03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
That doesnt sound bad pinto. Is it straight pipe to the muffler?

pintoBC_3sgte
03-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Yup

lalojamesliz
04-03-2011, 06:29 AM
What resonator do you guys suggest? I like my vibrant 3" straight through muffler because it looks stock but its still too loud for me inside my car so I need to add a resonator also or just a good quiet muffler that flows good to my 3" exhaust. Right now I have a glass pack also installed but that didn't quiet it down as much as I wanted. Sorry to thread jack (again) but I don't want to clutter up the boards with mire exhaust ?'s

Galcobar
04-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Glass packs are 1950s technology -- they're an early version of a straight-through muffler. Trouble is that fibreglass can break down and blow out, meaning your insulation-based sound suppression has no insulation. The other issue is that glasspacks invariably use a louvered inner pipe, which means all the little holes between the gas flow and the insulation have small projections to guide the gas into the insulation. Those louvers, however, disrupt the exhaust flow by projecting into the stream, creating turbulence -- kind of like sticking your finger into the stream from a hose, it loses directionality and velocity, both of which are necessities for proper exhaust flow.

A modern, quality straight-through muffler uses a smooth perforation of the inner pipe, and wraps it with stainless steel wool to keep the insulation -- good brands use a ceramic mat -- from blowing out. They offer minimal flow impairment, and you can tune how much sound suppression you want by how long the muffler stretches. In round-body form, these are what you'll often see incorrectly advertised as resonators.

As for an actual resonator, it won't really reduce volume -- at least not as much as a muffler. Resonators are about smoothing the tone, which can make it less intrusive and therefore subjectively less loud -- you don't notice it as much. Both resonators and mufflers affect volume and tone, it's just resonators are more intended to fix the latter while mufflers are better at reducing the former.

Real resonators aren't expensive or sexy, so the usual place to find them is the local exhaust shop.

lalojamesliz
04-04-2011, 02:15 AM
So I just need to get a different muffler and remove that glass pack huh :(

METDeath
04-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Tim, just wait until Dragon, you can hear my car with a 40 series for yourself.

bloodMoney
04-04-2011, 02:41 PM
^+1