PDA

View Full Version : New member (ST162 Owner)

shidima
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Hello Ladies,

I'm Harry, and i've always been a 4th gen fan. Was reffered here from GT4RC thought i'd come check this site out, im usually at st162.net. :wiggle:

Never owned an alltrac before but am looking for a ST165 in decent shape. Always liked the 4th gen st162 and st165 but could only get my hands on the st162. Now that my engine is dying soon I was left with only a few options. Either swap it for the gen 1 3sgte and build a halftrac which required more work than i could afford. Rebuild the stock 3sge for a pretty penny at yamato powertrain. Or just drop this money into a st165 chasis alltrac. There is one local here for $2,000 which requires a new transmission and power steering leak fix. It'd still be cheaper than the 3sgte fwd conversion but a tad more expensive than the rebuilt 3sge(but not much gain in performance for that amount of money).

Anyway, just saying hello.

CollapsedNut
03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Welcome. Your in the place that has 6th gen all tracs and you dont own one?! I like the st16* better anyways. Rebuild your 162 for a DD!

manda
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Welcome. Your in the place that has 6th gen all tracs and you dont own one?!
If I had that option, I would soooooooo own a 205 or two...

oh, and Welcome!!!!

ChrisD
03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Welcome! Hell I have owned all 3 gt4's and I still like the ST165 the best! :D

If the 165 chassis is decent then it could be a good pickup. They are becoming so rare these days. But then again, the cheapest option would probably be to get your 162 on the road...all a matter of how much time/money you've got to play with.

shidima
03-28-2011, 11:53 PM
My st162 is running, it just has an oil leak and gear grinding. Its coming up to about 320,000KMS. So i'm not sure how much life it has left!

a jdm 3sgte gen 1 costs about $900 shipped, but all that custom work is going to be a headache for my mechanic(plus he'll charge me an arm and a leg).
Other than the engine the car is fairly decent.

The cost of this replacement/upgrade would almost be as much as a running alltrac! So i'd rather get the alltrac if possible of course.

grimmythereaper
03-29-2011, 01:07 AM
have you thought about getting the bottom end of a 3sgte for the lower comp. ratio and using the head of the 3sge then boosting that? that may end up being the cheapest in the long run if u put together urself, but then again im not sure what kind of power you are looking for. just an idea.

And welcome to the site:)

UtahSleeper
03-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Personally I would say rebuild your motor and fix what's wrong. It's good to have a DD that has low maintenance costs and gets good gas mileage.

If you have the space I would say by a spare motor and rebuild that yourself and try to learn to work on them yourself. I only say that cause most trac's you find now will need ALOT of work done for neglected maintenance and you could easily pay a shop as much, if not more, then what you paid for an alltrac, to get the car up to date.

And welcome aboard.

Siyx
03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the forum :D now go get a GT-Four LOL

Rick89GTS
03-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Most AllTrac owner are fairly handy with a wrench, or better be willing to learn b/c these cars will need regular maintenance.
Paying someone to do the work (that they're usually not familiar with) will put you in the poor house fast.
Keep (and fix) the 162 as a DD and pick up a 165 that has fewer issues - it'll be worth it.