PDA

View Full Version : Do you work with or without help?

4thgenceli
03-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Curious as to how everyone else works on their vehicles.

Personally, for large jobs (transmission or engine installation/removal) I tend to like a second set of eyes for safety reasons.

For smaller things, I usually am better working on my own and thinking things through. Just yesterday I changed the oil and had my wife out there with me and I forgot to replace the stupid drain plug gasket and ended up dripping oil out like crazy.

Facime
03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
another person that likes to talk and isnt diving in doing their own thing distracts me. I have some non-mechanic friends that have tried to help in the past but I find myself babysitting more than anything. On the other hand, I have a buddy who is more like me and will simply find a way to dig in and be helpful and not a distraction because hes a car guy himself.

My remoteness however leaves me doing the vast majority of things alone including motor swaps and transmissions. For safety reasons I would love to have another body around just for safety reasons now and then, but it doesnt happen often.

4thgenceli
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
another person that likes to talk and isnt diving in doing their own thing distracts me. I have some non-mechanic friends that have tried to help in the past but I find myself babysitting more than anything. On the other hand, I have a buddy who is more like me and will simply find a way to dig in and be helpful and not a distraction because hes a car guy himself.

My remoteness however leaves me doing the vast majority of things alone including motor swaps and transmissions. For safety reasons I would love to have another body around just for safety reasons now and then, but it doesnt happen often.

I find the same thing.

Hookecho
03-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I work alone on my cars. It is simply a way to relax for me. I get to be alone and in control. Whenever I work on friends cars I go into instructor mode. That way I can focus on the job at hand and still be have a conversation.

ChrisD
03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
If I've got someone to help, it's definitely helpful to me. Nice having someone there to shoot the shit with, and helps me stay motivated while out there (especially when it is cold....) However in most cases I roll solo since I work whenever I have spare time.

Mr.Rift
03-27-2011, 09:29 PM
I tend to try by myself and do what I can. Then make a mess of it and then a friend or friends comes out and shakes their head look at me like I belong in a home for the mentally challenged. Then they make suggestions to what I need to do and how to do it. (laugh lots) then tell me if I canít get it working or changed to let them know. They will come back and help me. (if beer is involved).

klapa
03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I would like a second set of hands - and I do have my 6'5" Ukrainian step-son to help on occasion -but for the most part - it is just only me going it alone.

T-spoon
03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Typically alone, because that's how it is. I do prefer another because I'm not a super solitary person, but only if they are as or more competent than I am. I don't live near any of my longtime (IE, from Highschool) friends and HATE asking anyone else for a hand.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-27-2011, 11:08 PM
When I have the opportunity, I work with my younger brother and teach him what I know.

Otherwise, its me, my music and a beer.

Facime
03-27-2011, 11:26 PM
... and HATE asking anyone else for a hand.

same for me. I rigged up a block and tackle pully system hooked to the quad just to pull the f250 back into the shop rather than get a second body to help push it, lol. I sometimes go to extraordinary lengths just to figure out how to do something all by myself that would take two people half a minute to do, like take a hood off a Camaro, lol.

And I also agree that my shop time is time to be alone with my thoughts...but then again, since I live alone in the middle of nowhere, thats pretty much all the time anyway.

Doowstados
03-28-2011, 02:22 AM
I wish I knew someone as interested in cars as I am who is actually willing to help out. I don't live near anyone from any Celica forums and none of my friends even know how to change their own oil, nor do they want to learn. Useless.

Luni
03-28-2011, 03:32 AM
I usually have someone with me. To be honest its usually cause someone wants to learn something, but sometimes its cause I dont like being a loner, its nice to have someone to talk to and a toolbitch.

djmurphix
03-28-2011, 03:48 AM
It's just me cuz everyone else don't like either getting greased up or don't want to bother, but when they need an oil change or inspect the car yet I'm the first to called on..

Grot
03-28-2011, 04:24 AM
I work solo, unless i just cant do it alone.

bloodMoney
03-28-2011, 04:38 AM
I used to work alone, but that was before Stacy and I learned how to get along while working together......

alltracNyx
03-28-2011, 04:45 AM
:uplaugh: It did take us awhile to find that groove.

jaydog82
03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
i work alone most of the time, when i have spare time. i do have a good friend(1not2listen) who helps with bigger projects, like motor and trans installs.

CollapsedNut
03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I work alone cause I have no friends who know anything about cars.

UtahSleeper
03-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I tend to work solo cause I do it when ever I feel the need or urge.

The last job I asked someone for help was my corolla and there was a shit ton of little things that it was overwhelming. He is one of those guys that you just tell him what to do and he will try and get it done.

MCcelica
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
I work alone cause I have no friends

This is me.

Actually thats only half true. I'm doing my current body project myself cause I want to. But when it came to wiring up foglights I had a buddy come over and tell me what to do since wiring isn't really my strong point and he's an electrical engineer. I mean I hate asking for help too, but I recognize when I have a weakness that could prove disasterous. That being said it depends on the job. Small stuff I'll knock out no problem. But I might ask for a hand when its time to drop the engine and tranny out of the 7th gen.

Dr Mojo
03-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Changing a 6th gen gearbox in a carpark by yourself with only 2 stands a trolley jack and assorted hand tools isn't fun but can be done!! Takes alot of grunting and cursing though.

Usually solo for me, and not always cuz I break down at a distance that it is cheaper to sell the car than tow it. There are other fun solo jobs too, like removing and engine bay from an engine without a hoist ;)

Think I'm with Facime, sometimes the ingenuity is part of the fun, and conquering something that should be able to be done.

Luni
03-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Im all about sharing with someone. Sharing my moment of victory, or sharing my pain and frustration. Sharing my knowledge, or just the banter that goes with working on cars with people. I couldnt be a loner. I dont like working on my car alone. I like being around people, friends, and to me, sharing a project like that is one of the best ways to get closer to someone, or reinforce that closeness.

But I dont have friends and best friends really. If youre my friend, youre my best friend or not my friend at all. I guess I sound kinda cheesy saying this, but I dont care. Working on cars with your buddies is a special thing, and all you loner fags (read: Facime) are missing out by doing everything alone.

Facime
03-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Hey man, if I could get some people to come out and turn wrenches or tool monkey or just hang out and keep me company now and then I would be all for it.

But no one likes me enough to bother.

Luni
03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
If I lived by you Im pretty sure Id be all about bugging your old hippy ass all the time :)

187flatliner
03-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I have a buddy who helps when I need...and he's my car audio expert so I do the same for him...

Borinal
03-30-2011, 09:24 AM
With someone, you get a lot more done when you stroke eachothers cawks.

But I do think that you can have too many hands. Sometimes one person is all that can effectively do a specific job. So you can trade off or just keep company, observe/learn, or delegate your knowledge. Usually I am the one being schooled.

alltracman78
03-31-2011, 01:56 AM
I work alone [at work], except for when and engine/trans is coming out, or I have something heavy to move. And usually when I do a truck frame replacment we work in pairs.

At home, usually alone. If I work with a friend I talk too much. :P

Once my daughter is old enough I'm going to put a wrench in her hands. :)

klapa
03-31-2011, 02:24 AM
I work alone generally because I have to - there is nobody to help.

terryd
04-03-2011, 02:40 AM
I enjoy working on my car with my son. Great father/son time. Not only do we get to "hang out" but he also gets exposure to mechanical work. Also gives another set of eyes for safety - just in case.

The Captain
04-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Once my daughter is old enough I'm going to put a wrench in her hands. :)

She will grow to be the perfect woman! Best-Dad-evar!

stephen_lee
08-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Curious as to how everyone else works on their vehicles.

Personally, for large jobs (transmission or engine installation/removal) I tend to like a second set of eyes for safety reasons.

For smaller things, I usually am better working on my own and thinking things through. Just yesterday I changed the oil and had my wife out there with me and I forgot to replace the stupid drain plug gasket and ended up dripping oil out like crazy.

same here

allTRACway
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
usually work with someone else mainly because i dont always have the motivation to get out and do what needs to be done. ill drag the wife out for the little stuff and once our daughter gets old enough she will be helping me as much as i can get her out the house she already is attached to my ancle everywhere i go so it shouldnt be to hard

temperacerguy
08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I work with someone as a gopher. "Hey, Gopher this" or "hey gopher that" I do it mainly because when you are elbows deep under a car, it makes the job so much easier for someone to hand you tools.

If they get annoying at a really stressful point, I always send them for some obscure tool that I know is on the bottom of some tool box, hidden away somewhere, to get them out of my hair for a while.... Then when they come back, Miraculously I have done the job without that tool.

I finally had one buddy ask me. "are you sending me because you need the tool, or do you just want me to go away for 5 minutes" I said "just go away" he was cool with it, and came back 5 minutes later and helped me with the next step in the project, even brought me a coke (sealed... he didn't spit in it) LOL

D-cat
08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Have been in the mechanical business for more than 50 years. Don't have the patience to put up with someone that doesn't already know what we are doing. Even when I do charity work for others, I generally send them away until I am done. I do occasionally take on an apprentice, & teach them what I can, before I send them out on their own.

underscore
08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Holy thread bump batman.

I work alone cause I have no friends who know anything about cars.

Same here, I've got a bunch of friends who are "car people" but really don't know shit about working on cars. I recently came to the realization that I don't really have any friends interested in the same hobbies I have. Which is why I quit rock climbing and do damn near everything else solo. For my own safety I should probably find someone to do some of this stuff with but I hate meeting new people.