PDA

View Full Version : Accident repair questions...

ricochet1490
03-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Alright - So a few months ago I was driving to work (I was working at Honda.... I know I know....) and hit a deer doing about 70 on the interstate. My 94 celica took it like a champ for the most part, 1 headlight, the hood, double airbag pop(and consequently the windshield) are the only things broke on the car. Found a parts car to fix most everything, and here are my questions,
1) Is there anyway to remove the passenger side airbag without taking off the dash? I haven't found one and am using this as a last resort.
2) is the radiator core support bolted or welded in? does anyone know? It looks like it might be bolted in, but if not, I was going to try and bend it back to where it should be vs. cutting out and re welding the other core support from the other car.... either way, not a fun thing to do.
3) My celica currently doesn't have any mods done to it whatso-ever, but I was thinking about maybe making a CAI for it while I had the nose off and the hood gone. Any suggestions aside from what I can find on other forums?
4) the last question I had also regards upgrades, the parts car I bought(400$) came with a manual, mine is an AT. Should I take the time to do the switch? I love driving standard and I wish my celica was standard, but it seems like a lot of work for a car that otherwise runs flawlessly.... opinions?

thanks!
Trace

4thgenceli
03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
What's wrong with the parts car?

Why not just swap your motor into the parts car and whatever else the parts car needs from your crashed one and call it good?

4thgenceli
03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
What's wrong with the parts car?

Why not just swap your motor into the parts car and whatever else the parts car needs from your crashed one and call it good?

ricochet1490
03-26-2011, 01:21 AM
The body on the parts car is TRASH. Rusted out on both doors, left rear quarter panel, nose is broke at the bottom(mine is still good). The interior is destroyed too, the drivers seat is broke, and there are cigarette burns in the rear seat. To top it all off its the coupe version, not the hatch like mine... so namely, I don't like it as much. it really should only serve as a parts car and then maybe in a 4 cylinder dirt track race and then the crusher ( given that i am going to take out the glass and the airbags anyway.)

ricochet1490
04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Alright, I'm bumping this and asking a question. Has Anyone EVER changed the passenger side airbag in a 6gen? This is looking like its really bad and I'm having a hard time with it. Any advice or quick tips would be great. Drivers side done in twenty min. 3 hours on the passenger and I still don't have it.... plz help.
Thanks
Trace

ricochet1490
05-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Alright, so update. Everything is almost changed over now! airbags, hood, headlight. Windshield will be up next wednesday, then I "should" be on the road! . I'm going to do a write up on it I think about how to go about changing the airbags and taking off the dash. My only concern is the one thing that's left. I changed the bags and the control module, but the air bag light is still on. Is this just the computer needing reset? or is this something more complicated. I didn't change the actual sensor because it wasn't damaged.... and to be frank I haven't been given an answer that has said that I either have to or don't have to change the sensor. Some have changed it,others have not. I'm at a loss. But I'm praying that it's just a computer reset. Does anyone have any advice on that?
Thanks
Trace

T-spoon
05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
regarding the sensor and whether or not you can reset, I once knew the answer to that but I don't remember, unfortunately. It's possible that the sensor is actually damaged or misaligned - how have you checked it?

ricochet1490
05-11-2011, 04:08 PM
well, I guess I haven't actually tested it, but it wasn't physically impacted. the deer hit above and it is pretty well protected by the core support. There is a chance that the internals are busted and I just don't know it i guess. But from outside appearances its fine. It's the one just to the left of the radiator if you are looking at the windshield from the front of the car. I have the parts car where I got everything else and could pull that sensor, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the old sensor off(I tried already) - That is why I'm hoping for a computer reset, can't get the dang thing off. I guess I could take the other one off and plug it in to see if the light goes off, but if I could have it reset in twenty min. vs. having to spend 2 hours trouble shooting it would be worth my time. I only get saturdays to work on it so that's why i'm asking instead of just doing.
Thanks for the quick response btw

T-spoon
05-12-2011, 12:24 AM
I think the senor may just be an accelerometer which if "triggered" is a one-shot deal. Again, I can't recall for sure but I think it's the case. There may or may not be additional computer resetting (don't think so?).

85gtsblackman
05-12-2011, 05:54 AM
my 6th gen was in a deer wreck too, i was able to bend the supports back where they are supposed to be and buy the nessasary front end parts, bolted up fine

i have no airbags though

ricochet1490
05-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I think the senor may just be an accelerometer which if "triggered" is a one-shot deal. Again, I can't recall for sure but I think it's the case. There may or may not be additional computer resetting (don't think so?).

that was my fear. My problem with the used sensor is that the bottom torx head that holds that thing in is in there so tight it bent the lips on my torx driver. Maybe I'll pull the other sensor and plug it up to my car to see if the light goes off. I'll report back when I can get to it this saturday and let you know. But that sounds reasonable.

ricochet1490
05-12-2011, 05:17 PM
my 6th gen was in a deer wreck too, i was able to bend the supports back where they are supposed to be and buy the nessasary front end parts, bolted up fine

i have no airbags though

Yeah that is exactly what I did to mine, bent everything back to where it was supposed to go. My parts however came from a separate car, so I had everything I would ever need (including airbags) - can't beat the price of 400$ for the whole car lol

ricochet1490
05-17-2011, 07:57 PM
update, changing the sensor that I thought should have been the one to trip didn't turn the light off. Couldn't get to the one on the drivers side as i couldn't get the a/c condenser unbolted from that side. gonna hit it again tomorrow and try to change that one out. It's looking like a computer reset might be in order though.