PDA

View Full Version : Water injection Q's

CollapsedNut
03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Trying to learn. Could someone draw up a simple daigram of the componets and what not?
A: Do you inject only a WOT kinda like nitrus?
B: What kinda pressure do you inject at?
Im sure Ill ask more.

Mafix
03-24-2011, 07:17 PM
why do you need water injection. as quoting corky bell, " water injection is a bandaid for an exsisting problem" and later "it has no place in a proper turbocharged setup"

CollapsedNut
03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I personally dont. People like it, people spend money on it, I like money.
I dont see how its not a good thing tho, seems to me lower chamber temps and reduced chance of knock are good things.

Luni
03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Corky Bell was smart, and all, but his opinion of water injection I believe was partially jaded/misinformed.

There are many benefits to WI and not really any drawbacks. You can even design it so theres a failsafe so if your WI system fails, you revert back to a "safe" boost level so you dont blow your engine.

Theres a lot of things you can do. I strongly disagree with Mr. Bell on that front.

However, Im not sure if Id run it in an NA car to be honest. Cause if the WI system fails, there isnt really anything you can do to save yourself. The main thing youd get from it on an NA car is the ability to advance timing and make more power before the knock threshold, but if you have a problem, you cant magically retard your timing back to a stock point.

To be honest, on an NA car Id be more inclined to get a J&S safeguard assuming your car has a knock sensor on it. If you have a KS, a safeguard will let you advance your timing and run higher octane and make more power, but if it detects knock it will start to retard timing indivudially per cylinder where the knock was experienced. Pretty slick.

On a turboed car, WI and a J&S is always a good idea, but thats a lot of coin for blackbox type electronics/hardware.

Mafix
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
personally (opinion here) i agree with mr. bell. any time you need to add something (including NOS, which i do use), it's an excuse. there is no reason you can't turn up the boost, change an intercooler, add cams, ect. i like to do things in a more permanent fasion.

Luni
03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Theres nothing NOT "permanent" about using water injection. Its just a modification like adding cams, a bigger turbo, etc. You can say what you want about it, but the truth is, if you dont like it, thats cool, but dont be ignorant of it and say its not permanent, or its a bandaid mod.

You could be running JUST fine, and add WI and gain power on the dyno. Its a proven fact. Ive seen it personally. Get a FMIC, Cams, etc, dyno. Then add water injection, dyno, the WI dyno is good for ~20-30hp over without it.

How is that a bad thing? I just dont understand peoples aversions to it.

CollapsedNut
03-25-2011, 01:39 AM
I like how clean it keeps a motor lol. Thats enough reason for me. I donno if I view it as a power mod, but more of a reliability increaser.

ChrisD
03-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I have personally had great success with it. I don't consider it a bandaid at all. From a tuning perspective, it allows you to run more timing than you would have otherwise been able to run. And since you will almost always hit detonation before you reach peak power when advancing timing, this is just one method of achieving the end goal.

I also like the in-cylinder cooling benefits, and it's ability to slow the flame front as well (which is something an intercooler can't do).

More recently it has been proven to be used effectively pre-turbo, eliminating the need for an intercooler altogether. That's pretty interesting too.

But I understand there will always be people who would rather not. And that's totally fine.