PDA

View Full Version : How to repair this?

Doowstados
03-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I went outside last night just as it started pouring here in what is supposed to be sunny San Diego. When I got outside and went to grab some stuff out of my trunk, I noticed some rust beginning to creep out from under the paint just underneath the rear window weather strip. Knowing that it was about to rain I tried to put some sealant on it (in this case, super glue which was all I had... :amuse: )

With hardly any pressure the rust gave way and now I have a small, pea sized hole just under the weather stripping. Inspecting it further, I discovered a good two - three inch long, 1 cm thick rust spot. Obviously I'm going to need to cut the cancer out and weld in a new piece of metal but I'm not sure how to go about this since it is so close to the window. Maybe Bondo? I hesitate to use that crap...

I have a piece of aluminum foil blocking the hole until the rain stops.

DudeMan
03-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Proper way would be to remove the glass and its trim, cut out the rust, weld in new metal, apply body filler, prime, paint and finally reinstall the window.

Kind of an odd spot for rust to form.. Coupe?

You have the right idea though, try to keep moisture/rain away from that spot. If I was in your shoes and needed a quick fix to prevent it from getting worse, I would grab some actual automotive sealant.

Just remove any loose paint, rust, crap from the area, give it a light sanding and apply some of the sealant. This will look ugly but should at least slow down the rust process until you have the means to fix it properly.

Could always try getting a few quotes from body shops.. A small spot usually doesn't cost too too much but glass removal/installation has always been a pain in the ass for me.

Keep in mind whatever sealant you use as a band aid will have to be removed one day.

Doowstados
03-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Proper way would be to remove the glass and its trim, cut out the rust, weld in new metal, apply body filler, prime, paint and finally reinstall the window.

Kind of an odd spot for rust to form.. Coupe?

You have the right idea though, try to keep moisture/rain away from that spot. If I was in your shoes and needed a quick fix to prevent it from getting worse, I would grab some actual automotive sealant.

Just remove any loose paint, rust, crap from the area, give it a light sanding and apply some of the sealant. This will look ugly but should at least slow down the rust process until you have the means to fix it properly.

Could always try getting a few quotes from body shops.. A small spot usually doesn't cost too too much but glass removal/installation has always been a pain in the ass for me.

Keep in mind whatever sealant you use as a band aid will have to be removed one day.

It's a fastback. Thanks for the advice, I was hoping I could manage to fix this without the window removal but I guess it is unavoidable. I think when this semester ends I'm going to just garage it and do an entire body inspection for rust and maybe get started on my 3SGTE swap. The rainy season is almost over for San Diego anyway.

Night_Wolf
03-22-2011, 05:07 AM
You could always just get a new hatch

Facime
03-22-2011, 06:06 AM
http://www.keltyautoparts.com/

This place shows a green one from a 93 for $150 (though shipping would suck)

try searching http://www.car-part.com/

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-22-2011, 06:39 AM
I learned about car-part.com from a CarQuest manager in Cincinnati. Since then, I have always trusted them.

UtahSleeper
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Fiberglass could also work. Just a thought.

CollapsedNut
03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Duct Tape

Murgatroy
03-23-2011, 02:30 AM
You could always just get a new hatch

I think we have a winner.