PDA

View Full Version : What to do with trunk and rear seat area?

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 03:13 AM
I dont plan on putting the rear seats back in, and I would like to make some sort of cover to blend the trunk with the two "pockets" where the rear seats were. I saw a pic of someone who did this with cubby holes for his amp and a tool kit I think. Just wanting some input for my drawing board. I wanna be able to access the spare tire as well. Maybe a two piece panel with hinges for access to the spare? Gimmi ideas

T-spoon
03-16-2011, 03:24 AM
I think the idea of pulling seats out and replacing them with equally heavy but less useful items is pretty funny. Sorry I don't have anything really to contribute, I just don't see the point in removing seats unless it's for weight reduction.

grimmythereaper
03-16-2011, 03:36 AM
i used that space for amp and sub area. i took out the seats and fiber glassed the area making a false floor from the backseat started and going all the back

alltracNyx
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I agree with T-spoon. The amplifiers can be mounted on the back of the seats, or something else creative could be done. I just don't see the benefit.

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I took the seats out cause I have no use for them, I never have more than one passenger, ever.
I may just carpet the area leave it alone cause Im lazy. /shrug

Mafix
03-16-2011, 02:33 PM
fill it with a roll cage

bloodMoney
03-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Agreed. Cage it. At least that's somewhat useful.

kungFUBAR
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.aaroncake.net/misc/rebuild/537%20-%20Rear%20Carpet%20and%20Storage%20Bins%20Installe d%20Front%20View.jpg

Given, that's not in a Celica but you get the idea

Mr. Babb
03-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I saw a pic of someone who did this with cubby holes for his amp and a tool kit I think.
I think John did that with Princess

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
fill it with a roll cage

Thats something Ive been throwing around. I have access to everything I need to fab and install one, and my uncle has years of experiance building cages for dragsters. I think thats something Ill do later down the road tho.

Terracar
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
93CC did it in his Alltrac as well. Not sure the details, but I believe it was done with MDF then covered with carpet (redid carpet for trunk/rear seat area) It looked good, then again everything on Don's car looks good.

I have to ask, is this on the ST? If so it will look like ass since it is not open like a liftback. Either way your choice.

-Terracar

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Nah. nothing ever happens to my ST, its my DD. Anything I ever talk about it MudHoney

Facime
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I know a few people who have done that in mk3 supras.

If you want it to be really sweet, build it out of fiberglass with a couple rings for subs.

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I would love to do that, but Ive never glassed before...

Terracar
03-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I would love to do that, but Ive never glassed before...

Well, now is as good as any to learn. Stop making excuses and start making solutions. NAO!

-Terracar

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Only problem is, fiberglass stuff will cut into the new suspension fund. Ill have to figure up how much itll cost.
Thanks for the input guys

Facime
03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
One of the great things the internet provides is a nearly unlimited supply of information on any given subject. If you have the cash for the materials and the time then the rest is easy.

You need at least some woodworking skills to build the framework to stretch the appropriate fabric over, then start layering. There are how-to's on youtube. Once you have the principles down, the rest is up to your imagination.

As for the idea of ditching the backseat I dont see a problem with it. I did a back seat delete on a 1st gen celica coupe because I NEVER used the backseat for anything other than storage and the seats were junk. I turned mine into a speaker box with hidden storage. Some people obsess about weight, but imho, unless you actually race your car against a clock or other cars...then who gives a fuck about a few more lbs?

CollapsedNut
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Agreed. Im just looking to make the space more usefull and custom. I know the basics of fiberglass, but I learn best doing hands on. I think Ill just lay some pyl wood and carpet it for now, Ill try my sub box in fiberglass to get a feel, then decide. I tihnk it would be cool to have my sub in one of the old seat pans and amp in the other, then I get to keep full trunk access and room.

ChrisD
03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?50997-93cc-1993-Celica-Alltrac&highlight=93cc