PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Problems...

willkenni05
03-13-2011, 05:12 AM
I have a 96 celica gt that needs its rear brakes replaced...So I walk into my local napa looking for brake pads... They tell me they changed the part #s for the pads for them in the middle of production so they needed my manufacture date... thats fine, whatever... I get the pads home the next day, go to install and come to find out they're about twice as thick as I believe they should be... I've done many brake jobs before, so I have some knowledge but this is my first toyota, and it may be a different ballgame so I figured I'd ask the professionals before I jump to conclusions!

Thanks,
Willie

KoreanJoey
03-13-2011, 05:48 AM
So... what exactly is the question?

bloodMoney
03-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Probably a dumb question, but did you compress the pistons before you tried fitting the new pads? Usually, they don't change much when a modification is made in the middle of a production run, especially on brakes....

willkenni05
03-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I guess it would be helpful to actually ask a question here... Is there a difference in brake pads for the 96 model year, and if so is it possible that one is that much thicker than the other? I can get the brakes assembled on the hub, but they're so tight the wheel won't even spin!

willkenni05
03-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Well I ended up stopping at advanced auto today for some things and they had some pads in stock as well, so I asked to see them... Exactly what I needed! So I don't know if the lady at carquest just grabbed the wrong box or what happened there... but anyway all is resolved!

Thanks again,
Willie

KoreanJoey
03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Glad it got resolved.