PDA

View Full Version : 77 gt engine swap

19winsstonsmith84
03-09-2011, 12:20 AM
I've got a bone-stock 77 with a 20r that was running 7 years ago before I garaged it. I want to build a good weekend driver with 200+ hp. I was thinking of doing an engine swap but everything I have seen done has required cutting the body or firewall (2jz, 7mgte, Lt1, ford 5.0, etc.) I was curious if anybody had seen any good swaps that didn't require cutting the car or any good mods for the 20 that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
I have a 94 5sfe complete and a pull a part near that doesn't have any shortage of toyota but most of them are 85 and up.

METDeath
03-09-2011, 02:49 AM
22RTE swap shouldn't require cutting... but good luck finding one, they only came in some of the older trucks, never in a Celica (at least, not that I'm aware of).

You could also go with a 22RE for a bit of a power increase over the 20R.

bloodMoney
03-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Why not do a blacktop beams 3s-ge?

It came in the JDM altezza, so it's already setup for RWD, plus it's only a 2L so you should still have plenty of room in the bay....

Although, its not quite 200hp IIRC.

WALKER
03-09-2011, 05:57 AM
As far as I can tell you should be able to fit a 5M or 7M without cutting the firewall. Having a '77 (Gen 1.5) you gain extra length in the engine bay over a '75 and earlier model. People have done 3S-GTE swaps into 1st gens, and I don't believe any cutting would be required. Your easiest would be to find a 22-RTE though.

19winsstonsmith84
03-09-2011, 07:37 PM
hmmmm..... hadn't seen the 3sgte/3sge swaps might have to check into that thanks guys. Walker, what were your plans for your 77?

Hookecho
03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Just stick with the 20R or do a 22RE. You would spend thousands on swapping any other motor. The 3sgte would fit but it's a tight fit. Lots of wiring would have to be done along with some custom fabricating. Which we can do no problem. Plus you have to have things to to the RWD conversion like a 3s to w5X bell housing (bellhousing from a 2s or 1s), 2s rwd oil pan, 2s rwd oil pickup, tranny input shaft bearing, 2s reduction starter, custom waterneck (the 3s is too long and will hit the firewall)

That is what I've gathered from some research at Classic-Celica.com

I've said it before. Leave the classic Celica as it is because it is a beautiful car. Just get it running. We'll bring it to the shop and spend our time going through it.

Of course, after we swap the 3sge into your 6th Gen. That is gonna be a cool project. Gotta love PaP finds.

METDeath
03-09-2011, 09:53 PM
For the 3S-GE look for the one that was in the Lexus, it's already RWD and is a BEAMS black top (I think on the color). Not sure if there are RWD 3S-GTEs though... but you could do the same sort o thing. However, with the 3S swaps you will probably have to move your motor mounts.

UtahSleeper
03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
I would say go 22re and build it up.

WALKER
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
hmmmm..... hadn't seen the 3sgte/3sge swaps might have to check into that thanks guys. Walker, what were your plans for your 77?

My plans are short term get the 20R running smoothly and drive it stock. Possibly do a 20R head /22R block hybrid.

I am honestly on the fence if I want to keep it stock and restore it, or I would like to put a 1UZFE into it and get the V8 muscle car Toyota should have built in the '70's. That won't be an easy task at all and would require a ton of work. I am actually starting to research a 5M swap. Basically at this point I don't have any real plans. You can follow my project thread if you want to see (link in my sig). Good luck with your research and plans.

WALKER
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM

My plans are short term get the 20R running smoothly and drive it stock. Possibly do a 20R head /22R block hybrid.

I am honestly on the fence if I want to keep it stock and restore it, or I would like to put a 1UZFE into it and get the V8 muscle car Toyota should have built in the '70's. That won't be an easy task at all and would require a ton of work. I am actually starting to research a 5M swap. Basically at this point I don't have any real plans. You can follow my project thread if you want to see (link in my sig). Good luck with your research and plans.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Restore it and go Ford 302.

http://www.toyotacelicas.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t16855.html

WALKER
03-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Restore it and go Ford 302.

I do not like cross breeds at all, definitely not my style. I think that is a waste of a nice celica, especially a domestic transplanted into a Toyota. Stick with all Toyota.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
It's clean, affordable, and there is almost no end in parts.

There are also an almost infinite number of configurations to get you where you want to go.

If you wanted to keep a lot of Nippon/Denso action, you could always go with the Mopar 318.

VikingJZ
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
You can put a 7M in the car. You need 5MGE engine mounts from a Celica Supra. After that it bolts in.

Search 1stgencelica.com for the guy that did a nice one.

They also make a bolt on supercharger for the 20R. Its $2,500 for everything you need.

85gtsblackman
03-13-2011, 02:34 AM
just build a 22rte with a decent turbo setup and megasquirt and you will see over 200hp with a 22rte

Grot
03-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Do a supercharged Chevy 3800 v6.

Out of many 2000+ cars.

Facime
03-13-2011, 04:53 AM
Having owned more 1st gen celicas than most people...

3SGTE? Terrible idea unless you have a huge budget and are a good fabricator. Almost everything you need to make it work would have to be custom made.
4AGE/20v? if you can work out the distributor issues thats a really cool swap, but probably wont make your power goals in the end.
22RE? Bleh...boring.
22RTE? good luck finding one, but if you could thats a slim possibility
5M? ummm...no
7M/1J/2J? not a bad swap, been done several times but its gonna require suspension and rear end upgrades to make it work. Would be overkill in alot of ways if you all you really want is 200HP. Will destroy the cars handling charactoristics though.
Ford small block swap? GTFOH!
GM 3.8? Join the GTFO club!

depending on budget and your fabrication skills this is what I would do:
low budget, low fab skills = 20/22R hybrid on dual carbs.
decent budget, low fab skills = 22RZE utilizing LCE's street runner kit
low budget, lots of fab skills = 4AGE/20V converted to COP
lots of budget, lots of skills = 2JZ (or at least a 1J)...and melt faces!