PDA

View Full Version : Alternator pulley

lalojamesliz
03-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Does anyone kno. What pulley I can swap on to my alternator for it to spin a bit faster? When I'm at 800 rpm I want my alternator to spin like if I'm at 1000 rpm. I have a stock 70 amp replacement for my all-trac

klapa
03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I thought you had a 140 AMP replacement?

Is there a difference between the diameter of the pulley on your replacement verses the old stock alt?

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 12:56 AM
I got my overdrive pulley from Summit. BARELY fits on there. Like, barely. No complaints so far...

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 01:36 AM
I thought you had a 140 AMP replacement?

Is there a difference between the diameter of the pulley on your replacement verses the old stock alt?

i did but when i installed it, it had a harder time keeping up the voltage on my battery with loads than my current 70 amp alternator so i returned it :(

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I got my overdrive pulley from Summit. BARELY fits on there. Like, barely. No complaints so far...

do you remember the part number?

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
I want to say it was this one. It has an extra grove, which, is not at an issue. The potential issues are, the pulley is deep, barely clears the heat shield on the alternator and has a thick base. I can get about 4/5 threads of the bolt that locks it on, which isn't an issue for me, because the pulley goes in the correct direction to perpetually tighten it. You could likely find a different nut to lock it, which is what I should do.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-115/

$7.95 to get another 20-30 amps is worth is IMHO.

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 01:55 AM
do your lights ever dim with this pulley? thank you for the link. ill buy this right now :)

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 02:08 AM
do your lights ever dim with this pulley? thank you for the link. ill buy this right now :)

My lights don't dim because of the pulley, my Big 3 upgrade, my high-output alternator and good grounding. They do burn out though, just like normal. I need to replace the passenger bulb...

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 02:11 AM
do you mind telling me where you got your alternatr at?

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 02:17 AM
i still want a upgraded alternator but i dont know were to get a actual good one :(

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 02:18 AM
do you mind telling me where you got your alternatr at?

Yes, it's a family secret!

I got it off of eBay. 160-amp Reman Denso (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-TOYOTA-CELICA-HIGH-OUTPUT-160AMPS-ALTERNATOR-2-2L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25607ac497QQitemZ16053 2448407QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_1190wt_941). It had the round plug, so I had to find a Camry at the junkyard to get the right pigtail end.

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 03:06 AM
this is the one i bought and will return sometime this week. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190503995896&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT he sent me two of them because the first one was crap and couldnt hold the voltage under loads and the second one i just removed yesterday was better but my 70 amp alternator held it better still while driving. my battery + post has a voltage display and i could see the voltage changing in my rear window. to be honest now my 70 amp alternator is having voltage problems while idleing and the headlights are on and im pressing the brakes but once my rpms go up my battery voltage goes up also. i messed with my power wires a bit yesterday http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?52009-Big-3-upgrade-question&highlight= and now when i turn the key it just clicks and after a couple times it will start. dont know why its doing this but i think my battery is just low. i want to try out that pulley and if i still have problems then ill try the alternator you have. im sure my A2W fan (a/c fan) and pump always on are NOT helping me at all on this but thats why i want a alternator that puts out more amps at lower rpm's but like i said ill try the pulley you posted a link to. i should have it by the end of the week. perfect because i have a 3 day weekend :)

UndaGrwnD
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
does the other pulley realy helps ?

i also want that my alternator spins faster..

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
The overdrive pulley does work, it is simple physics. It increases the ratio between the drive pulley and your alternator pulley. You alternator will spin faster, and it will have a shorter life. Life is based on revolutions. I don't mind sacrificing maybe 6 months of life for higher output. I also trust my hood scoop and vents to handle cooling it with the heat that it creates.

lalojamesliz
03-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't mind also because my next atlernator will have a lifetime warranty ;)

lalojamesliz
03-11-2011, 04:00 AM
got it today :) i did have to remove some material from my alternator to make this fit without rubbing but its on now. the original pulley has a slight groove in back that clears the alternator surface and this one was flat. i havent tested it yet on the road. ill find out how this works on my way to work tonight. i have a 240 mile round trip and 6 diffrent places to go tomorrow morning so i hope this works and the pulley doesnt fall off lol i tightened it with my 3gallon craftsman air compressor and a impact gun my friend gave me a while back (i used these to remove the pulley as well. took a few times of trying though :( ) so i dont think its too tight lol the stock pulley on my carquest/southern auto parts measured a diameter of 54mm and this one is 49mm (belt surface)

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-11-2011, 04:04 AM
I've got thousands of miles on my pulley, still on there. Mine barely cleared, so I believe there is a washer in there. If I had an amp gauge, I could tell you what she's cranking out. I'm just happy that it was an $8 part. Let us know what you think.

UndaGrwnD
03-11-2011, 11:36 AM
yea let us know how it is.

and where can i get the pulley from? ebay or..? give some info about the pulley.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I posted the link from Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-115/

If anyone overseas is interested, I could send them international, as I don't see Summit does international shipping, including off of their eBay store. I'm sure there is a decent option in Europe that I am unaware of.

UndaGrwnD
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
oh yes, but its plug and play...? i got an RC engine...with the alternator scoop...do i need to remove to get the pulley to fit or..?

lalojamesliz
03-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I had to remove my alternator to get the pulley of with a impact gun. I had to remove some material from my alternator but Im using a aftermarket replacement though. So I drove it last night to work and normally my voltage would drop to low 12's when I stop at a red light and I have my headlights on and I'm pressing the brakes and I'm at 800 rpm bur last night with the same conditions I was staying at 13.5+ volts and didn't notice my lights dim like they normally would. I still had starting problems when I was leaving my job but I only drove it 7 miles so I know my battery still needs to charge up with more driving.

UndaGrwnD
03-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Hmmm sounds good, got any pics?

UndaGrwnD
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
can somebody help me out, order the pulley and then send it to me ? i contacted car_barn_bandit, but he doesnt respond...

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
can somebody help me out, order the pulley and then send it to me ? i contacted car_barn_bandit, but he doesnt respond...

Waiting to hear back on a shipping quote that isn't $87.

lamont
03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Try US Postal Service flat rate boxes, international is a bit more expensive, but very reasonable IMO.

acidice333
03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
http://cpgenerator.com/overdrivepulleys.html
ITEM# 32-8024

Little more expensive, but the OD is smaller.

That will work, but you will need a spacer because if u don't, then the pully will just rub against the alternator body. I've had this one for years now on my 5SFE 140amp alternator with no problems. I'm just waiting to make another order for my 3S alternator.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-18-2011, 07:38 PM

PS your inbox is full making them PMs hard to send...

I placed the order yesterday. Should get it fast, then it'll go in the international mail. As long as we don't get a ton of radiation from Japan, it should sail smoothly through customs in 6-10 days after I send it.

I'll dig around for some pics. Suppose I should offer a little write up, huh?

CBB

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Here is the pulley after a year of service:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/4/1/6/pulley1.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/4/1/6/pulley2.jpg