PDA

View Full Version : Installing a sunroof

4thgenceli
03-07-2011, 04:00 PM
How involved of a job would it be to install a sunroof? The '87 I recently purchased has a sunroof, but it was replaced with a piece of sheet metal and pop up vents were installed. From what I can see, I'll need the panel and tracks, maybe a motor (I don't know where the motor is at on this thing).

Would it be better to buy the seals from toyota new or are there aftermarket replacements available?

93celicaconv
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
So your '87 was factory-equipped with a sunroof, but someone along the way removed it, and now you want to put in an original factory panel, tracks, etc.?

If so, I would think you could get all that from a salvage yard (including the switches, motor, etc.). The wiring harness was hopefully left intact, so you should have all you need to put the connections back together again.

On my 5th Gen, the motor is just above the switch panel, at the front center of the sunroof panel. Not sure how the 4th Gen's are designed though.

Goldfish
03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry, but that's about the funniest thing I've heard done to a car in a long time. I don't even know what to say to that.

To answer your question though, there are plenty of aftermarket sunroof kits. If the wiring is all removed, maybe just get a pop-up moon roof or something?