PDA

View Full Version : Help: Headlights don't light up??

Okctrd
03-06-2011, 07:21 AM
My brothers 93 celica headlights don't turn on, only the high beams light up.

When ever he flips the switch to turn on the regular the high beam signal lights up on his dash cluster and the lights don't turn on.

When he pushes the switch back for the high beams the dash signal stays on and then the lights turn on.

he had some autopal h4's and i thought it was prob the bulbs so i took them out and put in some sylvania silverstars and it didn't fix the problem.

i also checked the fuse box located near the battery and the fuses looked fine.

any ideas what it could be?

thanks!

Galcobar
03-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Issues with the switch are the most common, but perhaps haul out the multimeter and start tracing from the headlight on back. If it's affecting both headlights in the same way, however, the switch or wiring close to it are the best suspects.

alltracman78
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
It's probably your switch.
If it's not it's the low beam wiring after the bulbs.
Make sure the sockets aren't melted or really badly corroded.

Check for 12v at the low beam wire going into the switch. If there's not 12v it's the wiring between the bulbs and the switch.
If there is 12v check for 12v at the ground wire leaving the switch [for the low beams]. Leave it connected while you check.
If you have 12v it's the switch, if not it's the ground wire.

Okctrd
03-07-2011, 12:22 AM
alright I'll check those things.

I have a feeling it might be the wire that melted or something at the end where you connect the bulbs. He had the yellow nokya bulbs in their for about 1.5 years and the wattage might have been to high for the wiring. ugh..

i'll keep you all updated..

thanks

sentraman
11-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Did you ever find out a fix for this? we are hacing the same problem.

Okctrd
11-27-2011, 07:35 AM
oh yea, it randomly fixed itself.

i don't know what was up with them. wierd.
but yea check out some of the things the guys stated above.
maybe the actual connections where the headlights plug into.?

allTRACway
11-27-2011, 01:30 PM
i hqad this exact issue my problem was the lights were 90 wat instead of 45 wat so it burnt out my switch so check the bulbs and youll probibly need a new switch once it started to get cold it started happening more and more and for longer times