PDA

View Full Version : Thermo block?

Night_Wolf
03-05-2011, 05:46 AM
So my buddy has a probe that we swapped a motor into and then turbocharged. And he recommended that I get this thermoblock for the intake manifold and throttle body but I don't think it'll make any difference.
http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html

90blacktrac
03-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Gimmick, except for the ATS one that completely replaces the tvis, otherwise it just makes for a bad intercooler fitment (if you have a topmount still).

Night_Wolf
03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I still have a TMIC but I plan on swapping to a CT-27 with a FMIC during the summer hopefully if all goes well

90blacktrac
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Then you could probably get away with an "unconfirmed proper fitment" one like the company you listed, I can't say it would hurt anything or be bad in any way but the gains will be minimal at best. Anyway what are you worried about, it hardly gets above freezing in the summer up where you live! Silly Wisconsin it's cold and smells of cheese....

GT4RC
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
chrome is bringing up malware warnings for that site lol

boo_guy
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I had them on one of my Probes as well. I wouldnt say they're a gimmick, it slows heat soak enough that I could drive around in the middle of the summer, pop the hood and be able to leave my hand on the intake.

But that was an NA car, not sure it would be worth the money and effort on turboed car.

joe's gt
03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I still have a TMIC but I plan on swapping to a CT-27 with a FMIC during the summer hopefully if all goes well

I have a CT-27. Granted I haven't done the modifications to make it achieve what it can, but in general it is a modest upgrade over the ct26. If your end goals for the car are much higher than 300hp, I would go with a different turbo that allows more room to grow. Just imo.

Hipster Lawrence
03-05-2011, 11:10 PM
It's not going to do a thing for charge temp. Tge air is moving so fast at that point that it won't matter. Its just going to get hot in the cc anyway. It could possibly prolong the life of sensors mounted to the manifold but thats a stretch.

Phenolic spacers are nothing new. They are used on carbs to keep the heat riser from boiling the fuel after you shut the car off.

bloodMoney
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I think that you should buy it and let us know! In fact, while you're at it, pick up one of those electric turbos and for a proven extra 50hp!

lulz