PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a AW10/AW11

Chris_G.
03-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Ok. So a local guy wants to trade a '85 MR2 for my Dodge. What the hell should I be looking for?? This is a list of all the new parts on the car.

New parts list, less than 1k miles:
Fidanza flywheel with steel insert (lightweight)
Light weight crakshaft pulley
Rebuilt Drive shafts
HKS Muffler
Toyota Header
Aftermarket quality Down pipe/flex pipe
High Flow Cat
Clutch and throughout bearing
valve stem seals/gaskets/water pump
Cylinders honed and new rings
Head decked
Light porting of head/bowls
High and Tight Endlinks, stainless steel and adjustable
Tokico adjustable shocks
Suspension Techniques Springs all around
Suspension Techniques Sway bars, front and rear
Toyota factory Engine mounts (x4)
Prothane bushings on all suspension components and steering
Front fenders (brand new from toyota. Old ones were rusted- bought in SLC) guaranteed no rust on the undercarriage!
Front strut tower brace (Toyota)
Wheels/Tires -1k miles on them (paid $1000)
Rebuilt Starter
Rebuilt Distributor
Spark plugs
Ignition cables/cap and rotor
Brake pads
Slotted Brembo brake rotors (2 on rear, 2 new in box)
Racing Brake lines
Battery
Windshield
Wheel locks
Oxygen sensor
Timing belt
more...

Needs a paint job. Suspension needs tuning. The rear wheels produce a lot of torque at 3-4k rpm, rear likes to oversteer with power and liftoff on a straight. Perfect around corners, perfect braking! A rear strut tower brace will help (around $150 made by Cusco) or increase negative camber.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Thats a lot of stuff done. I worry about the installer on stuff like that. Look it over is about all I can say. See if he left bolts out ect.

Chris_G.
03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Well he has a few of them so obviously he knows what he is doing (I HOPE!!!!!) but he said he drives it daily so that to me means he trusts it enough to go trucking around in it

BabyBear
03-03-2011, 11:50 PM
What would I look for?

Red stickers(These are a must)
A big ghey spoiler.
steelies, they always give you the option of getting some wal-mart spinners yo!
Anything with duct tape on it is a plus.
Autozone/O'riley special light up shiftnob.
And neon underglow!

Chris_G.
03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Im being serious here, so smart ass comments would be better at the end of a REAL post giving REAL advice. that way we have both worlds. I like some sarcasm here and there, but constantly gets annoying.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Do it and enjoy, so what if it blows up. Its still cooler than a dodge

Hows those nuts taste?
LOLJKJK

4thgenceli
03-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Whats the guys name selling it and/or where is it at? That duece sounds damn familiar to me......

90blacktrac
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't get too upset about it Chris , you did ask about an mr2(on a celica site) in the off topic section, check out a decent build thread over at mr2oc and see how this mr2 and the workmanship compare.

Berg
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
With all the work that is listed as being done I would check and see if the brakes are the original Mk1a or if they have been upgraded to the Mk1b (87+). They are bigger than the earlier ones. Also check the rear fenders for rust. Take a magnet with you to make sure they are all metal and not bondo. Also check that the door hinges aren't too lose. Under the front fenders behind the front wheels has a habit of collecting leaves and such. If the front fenders have been replaced there is a good chance that this has happened. If that is the case then the metal on the car behind the fenders might have rotted as well. The biggest issues these cars have is rust.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Berg

Murgatroy
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Im being serious here, so smart ass comments would be better at the end of a REAL post giving REAL advice. that way we have both worlds. I like some sarcasm here and there, but constantly gets annoying.

This your first day in OT?

Chris_G.
03-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Tim, ill PM you.

and He replaced the front fenders because the lip had rust, but swears the underside is rust free. The back has some slight rust, but nothing thats a deal breaker, you know?? He was driving it earlier while he called me, and there is no sounds that I hear or anything, just the wind and cars around him.

but ill definately look around for rust and bring my magnet!

and celicas and MR2's use a lot of the same components, so I figured yall could help me out. and I remember the rant about MR2OC being down and how yall are sick of hearing it lol

BabyBear
03-04-2011, 03:50 AM
I only posted that cause this is OT. You can't complain if things in OT aren't serious, this is the internets after all.

Chris_G.
03-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Then point out the MR2 section and Ill post it there.

but my friend with a B18 GSR V-Tec CRX was just here mad-doggin on MR2's. Then he preceeded to ask how much for my CRX... all I could think was MOD MONEYYY!!!!!! lol

Hipster Lawrence
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Post in general discussion.

You need to get used to this kind of shit though it's just the way Celicatech is.

If the mk1 is as described and is in clean condidtion go for it. Just know going in that with that many mods you will be fixing the po's fuck ups for a while. Have fun the mk1 is the greatest car of all time.

Chris_G.
03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
It sounds like a great car...

and I will move this to GD then

Grot
03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Its also the only multi-functional door stop in existance

BabyBear
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Its also the only multi-functional door stop in existance

This ^^

And to Chris_G:
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/allowmetopresentmyrebuttalp1.gif

Luni
03-04-2011, 05:31 PM
^Owned!

Thread moved to GD. Your other thread has been deleted.

Eric Barrera
03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
This ^^

And to Chris_G:
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/allowmetopresentmyrebuttalp1.gif

lmao lmao lmao lmao

BabyBear
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Awwww.... Now that its in GD I almost feel bad for posting such nonsense... Almost...

Chris_G.
03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
your just SOOO funny. I cant get over how hilarious you are. Have you tried out for last comic standing? twat.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-06-2011, 08:47 PM
your just SOOO funny. I cant get over how hilarious you are. Have you tried out for last comic standing? twat.

Now that we are in GENERAL DISCUSSION....

Take a look at the other guy's cars. Run the VIN, check suspension, brakes and suspicious paint / bondo. Listen to the engine, as I always check compression and fluids. Report back to said findings.

Chris_G.
03-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Do they have a hydraulic clutch? How should the clutch in them feel? Its gettin closer to me looking at it and im excited lol I want it so bad. I saw two of them today. They look so nice in person!!! but this is the one im looking at right here:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2214916556.html

BabyBear
03-08-2011, 05:06 AM
So I just took look at that link, and good lord, 4k for an 85? Seriously? Its got a lot of crap done to it, but still! And an NA 4AGE does NOT have enough balls to get tail happy in a straight line, what with its 97lb/ft of torque glory.

The rear wheels produce a lot of torque at 3-4k rpm, rear likes to oversteer with power and liftoff on a straight.

Sounds like something is wrong with the alignment/suspension to me.

I'd try looking for a different one personally, for 4k you should be able to find a supercharged one.

Luni
03-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Yeah dude. 4k is WAYYY too much for pretty much ANY MK1 that isnt a low mileage really good condition supercharged car. That car isnt worth a penny over 2 in my estimation, and thats on the high side.

Chris_G.
03-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Well its in trade for my truck. I love how it looks and its spotless besides the rust down by the mudflaps.

I would like ANY MR2 because my CRX friend despises them and I just wanna see his face when I smoke him. But there isnt a MR2 in phoenix under 4000.... There is a 85 on there for more than 4000.... There is even a 91 for $10k.

Luni
03-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Mk1 NA MR2 is going to be very hard pressed to SMOKE an SI.

They make a whopping 118hp I believe. Even in a "light" car (not as light as an SI mind you) it doesnt "feel" fast.

Mk1s were made for a 20v swap or a turbo. They are just dogs in their stock state. As for your prices in Phoenix, I dont know what the fuck crack theyre on, but there is ONE car I DO know what the fuck Im talking about, and its MR2s. And Im telling you, that car isnt worth NEAR what hes asking for it.

You do what you want. Youre going to anyway. If your truck isnt worth near what hes asking for that car, and he will trade you outright, then youre doing OK. But if your truck is worth more than 2 grand, youre so much better off getting an MR2 from over in California, or somewhere else close.

Hipster Lawrence
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
A mk1 with those mods (done properly) and good tires (rs3s or star specs) will take a crx with similar mods. Both with stock engines.

A properly set up mk1 will embarass many cars but you have to know how to drive it. The crx anyone can be a superhero in.

Hookecho
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I really like the style of the MK1.

If you get it will you put a stock rear spoiler on it? The MK1 is one of those cars that looks sexy as hell when it has the spoiler, air dam, and side skirts. The 85 model is also the only year that Toyota used an anti-sway bar in the rear.

What year is your Dodge? I looked at blue book values and noticed that even the 93 4X4 model sells for $2500. So I would say it's a fair trade. The MK1 get great gas mileage.

Hipster Lawrence
03-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Early 86s have the anti sway bar in the back. It's a 10 mm bar so it doesn't do much but it makes a difference. IMO the mk1 looks better without a wing. Anyone who wants or needs a stock mk1 wing I have 2. With trunk lids. Even trade for wingless trunk lids.

Luni
03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Larry, youre talking about in the straight line, the MR2 WILL embarass many cars in the twisties, in a straight line, theres no real formula for driving a mark 1. It will ALWAYS outlaunch the CRX, but pretty sure power to weight, the CRX may have it beat.

Chris_G.
03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
my CRX is around 1600lbs. My friends is more around 1900-2000 because he has a sunroof, and a motor swap. He is running a B18 GSR V-Tec thats been tuned. Its a fast fucker! He races street bikes (less than 1000cc or its a no-brainer) and highly modded SRT-4s.

And I want a small wing for it. and hopefully its got nice coils. Then if its a 4AGE ill look for a blacktop and build it for N/A so its all plug and play stuff. I dont have the budget or time to do crazy swaps anymore now that I have my daughter.

My dodge is a '83 Ramcharger. Prospector II. Thats the one im thinkin about tradin.

Grot
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
All MkI had either a 4age or a 4agze

4thgenceli
03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
My dodge is a '83 Ramcharger. Prospector II. Thats the one im thinkin about tradin.

Those things are fucking brawly. I'd love one of those.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
He races street bikes (less than 1000cc or its a no-brainer) and highly modded SRT-4s.

If this happens on a city street, your friend is a douche.

Hipster Lawrence
03-08-2011, 10:36 PM
A gsr powered crx is a beast. I don't see a na mk1 taking it in a straight or in the twisties.

Luni, I've owned a crx si. It was sweet and handled awesome but it's handling doesn't hold a candle to the mk1. Asfar as stoplight to stoplight the crx will take the mr2 every time. It is lighter and has more torque down low less hp but that's an imaginary number so...

Chris g, there is no way your crx weighs 1300# unless you've stripped 500 lbs out of it. The si weighs over 2000 lbs and the hf is about 1800.

Chris_G.
03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
1600 lol and its been stripped. the bumper supports are gone and fiberglass bumpers have been screwed in, interior is stripped, A/C system/Heat been stripped, drum brakes were dropped for lighter disks, its so light, I can bounce it off the ground in 4 bounces lol

and Tim. Yes it is. And mine is so damn clean id live in it! lol and I have.... but thats a whole nother story. My truck rules. But a MKI just appeals to me more.

CBB. He does do it on the street (technically, freeway out in BFE between 12am and 130am), but also at sanctioned events and the race track. Boys will be boys.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
He does do it on the street (technically, freeway out in BFE between 12am and 130am), but also at sanctioned events and the race track. Douches will be douches.

Fixed.

This is why I pay more for my insurance, and enjoy my "safety" stops by law enforcement.

Chris_G.
03-09-2011, 04:17 AM
perfect timing for this.

Ever heard of Team TSantizo? I recently joined, and its the team he is in. The team started because they had a small group going and they had a nice fox body stang in the group. Well, to join fast-angs, they picked you someone to street race, and if you lost you were denied, if you won, you got accepted. They raced, and Santizo won. Then the pissed off loser was driving around town and ran into Santizo again, they raced again. Santizo was in the lane by the sidewalk, the opponent in the outside lane. Right on Indian School and about 67th, an 18 wheeler pulls out and the opponent swerves around it, Santizo left 300ft skid marks and took the trailer end straight to the face at 85mph. Hospitalized on vents and everything for a bit over a year, and they pulled the plug on him after he got better, and then got worse than ever. Thus, Team TSantizo is born. Street racing is done on closed roads for us because we know all about the dangers.