PDA

View Full Version : everyone should read this :)

jaydog82
03-03-2011, 01:11 AM
a very good read
http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

Toyota designed the 3S-GTE for racing and they made it very capable. The second generation of the engine was very conservatively configured for the MR2 Turbo to provide high reliability and meet emission requirements. The stock US version of the 91 MR2 produces 200 HP at the flywheel. With a 20% drivetrain loss that works out to around 160 horsepower at the rear wheels (160rwhp). Since the 3S-GTE is substantially toned down from the factory, it requires little effort to get 50% to 70% more power out of the engine.

This primer provides a roadmap to those wishing to enhance the performance of their 3S-GTE. It explains what I currently believe to be the best way to gain quick, reliable power. My analysis and direct experience doing many dyno runs and configurations concludes that many cars have been modified in ways that are expensive, ineffective and unreliable. I have compiled a straightforward set of modifications that, if properly applied, will get you to 250-275rwhp. Properly applied means that when I say go to the dyno and tune you need to go to the dyno and tune. Sure it costs money and you don't get a part that you can point to and show off (you do at least get a chart that you can scan in and brag about) but it will yield good, reliable power benefits and tell you if something is keeping you from making the kind of power you should be. I will also discuss how to upgrade beyond 275rwhp, which requires a lot more money and effort.

from MR controls

visit the url to read more :)

Hookecho
03-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Yeah, it's a good read and something that most of us with a 3sgte have read before.

jaydog82
03-03-2011, 01:31 AM
i just found it, i also just got a 3sgte :)

genericly
03-03-2011, 01:32 AM
I uh, feel a little bit better off.

Thanks for the link, enjoyed the read. =]

Murgatroy
03-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Isn't the Power Primer in the stickied links? I thought it was required reading?

Hookecho
03-03-2011, 02:09 AM
It's mentioned in this http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?10994-300-hp-3sgte-whats-needed thread.

It should stand out on it's own though.

Razors_Edge
03-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Wow this was a great read. Makes alot of sense and i think i can cut about a year or more off my build time for my ST165!

WALKER
03-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Yes a good read that most 3S-GTE owners have read...probably a few times if your like me.

ChrisD
03-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Yep great info. Probably due for an update by now as it's quite a few years old.

ericfragola
03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
i just found it, i also just got a 3sgte :)

looks to me like ya got a 165, wait... did you buy the one in east oakland that was a lien sale? v8killer was gonna buy that! you beat him to it by a day. let me know if you need a replacement turbo since i know that one was bad. i just got a bugger one and my 165 is down :P i live in cordelia! right next to fairfield! we need to meet up man!! PM me your number. ive been grouping all the alltracs in the area. a 165 in vacaville and mine is all i know of...and then you! woo! our numbers are slowly rising...

jaydog82
03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
no i got mine off a guy in san jose, he had it for sale on alltrac.net. ya we should hang out, ass soon as i get the alltrac on the road.

v8killer
03-09-2011, 01:32 AM
oh and it should be noted that even with the added drivetrain losses the numbers are very close to the AWD transmissions vs the mr2/halftrac 2WD transmissions something like maybe 2-4% difference as opposed to the previously known 5+% this is of course assuming new carrier bearings for the driveshaft and a good rear with all fresh fluids. just more accurate dynos made now a days. you have to remember the "E" series transmissions are internally damn near identical till u get to the center diff.

there still are a lot of factors to consider but be happy knowing if u have a alltrac the numbers are still pretty close.

v8killer
03-09-2011, 01:34 AM
should have said that its on the same dyno.