PDA

View Full Version : FT-86 Concept at Geneva

trumanpriest
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I actually think it looks pretty hot. From the 3/4 rear the back reminds me of an elise a bit. Would like to see it in white or silver though to really get a feel for the body lines. I like black, but hard to see all the contours. Curious what everyones opinions are on it.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/03/14-toyota-ft-86-ii-live-geneva-2011.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyota-ft-86-ii-concept-geneva-2011

genericly
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Not sold yet, I'll reserve judgment for when I get back from next deployment. =]

fdfx3
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Well that is a difficult question the body looks okay, not sure if I like the headlights, but anyway since it is a toyota it will probably have a 1,4L enigne with about 30HP an 10ftlbs and maybe a green tree stuck too it to symbolise that it is Eco-Friendly and will save the world, typical modern toyota.
And before they start making the car they probably change the whole concept and making it a ff car (frontwheel drive)
And if I'm not wrong wasn't the plan to use a Subaru boxer engine? if that is the case that's not cool, a car manufactor should use their own engines.

But if the chief of Toyota would all the sudden become completly innsane and let the car have a 4 or 6/v6 turbocharged engine combined with rearwheeldrive this might be the coolest thing ever to come out of the Toyota factory after they discontinued the Supra and of course the LFA.

UtahSleeper
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I like the body. Hope the release it even close to this look.

My big issue is the motor. Last I heard is it was a suby heart.

grimmythereaper
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
i love the car all together and have been following it since Toyota announced the car. long story short i will be camping outside Toyota to get mine:)

grimmythereaper
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
srry about the double post but last i heard it might be badged a scion here in the states

genericly
03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
In short, I hate haters.

I'm excited about what this could mean as a whole. =]

Grot
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Its a Toyota Subaru Collaboration.

Originally to be sold by both manufactures, although models were to be different.

Dunno if that is still the plan. Havent heard much from the Suby side.

I think a RWD Yota sports coupe with a Boxer is a GREAT idea.

Lets see how well they can do it.

fdfx3
03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Could be a good idea if the engine where manufacterd by Toyota, I dont wanna buy a Toyota with a Subaru engine, I know Subaru makes great engines but if I want a Subaru I buy a Subaru, I would really like to have that car if it only had a toyota engine with a tubo ofc.

And btw I've heard that the Subaru version would be turbocharged and that the Toyota badged would be Naturaly aspired, all I can say is that I'm not suprised if that turns out to be true.
Toyota should stop being so environmental, and start making great cars again, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Honda still makes aewsome cars but not Toyota.

genericly
03-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda hasn't made an awesome car since what, 02?

genericly
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
It's a JOINT development, I'm just happy that yota's putting in torwards a RWD performance platform. If it has a boxer engine - even a NA one at that (I'm sure if one offers, they'll both offer a trim with turbo) so be it, it's hopefully just the beginning.

*EDIT*

Opinions in NO WAY reflect on Honda's Powersport!

fdfx3
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda hasn't made an awesome car since what, 02?

Dont thay make the s2000 anyomore? I think thats a awesome car.
and Integra/ Civic typre R is nice too as long as they're not too much riced out.

boo_guy
03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
A nice turbo boxer engine in that hot car sounds pretty spiffy to me. Maybe subu will even have an awd version :)

Facime
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
from my understanding the joint venture worked like this: Subaru builds the car in their plants, Toyota had R&D say over it but their primary role in the development was on the management end, not the technology end. Basically by supplying R&D and management dollars (yen) they were going to get a rebadged version for themselves. Dont kid yourself, thats a Subaru, and never was the saying "a wolf in sheeps clothing" more appropriate.

I like the car, and the concept, but the chances of me buying one are nil. I only buy cars that are at least 10 years old anyway, lol.

Siyx
03-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I'll hold my breath and hope they release a new Supra to replace my '87 thats on its last legs.

Facime
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I'll hold my breath and hope they release a new Supra to replace my '87 thats on its last legs.

I wouldnt hold my breath.

and saying '87 supra and "last legs" in the same sentence is kind of redundant.

;)

fdfx3
03-02-2011, 12:11 AM

If I'm not wrong the Lexus LFA was meant to be the new Supra, But since Toyota is going to save the world with their eco firendly cars they had the choice of ditching the car that they spent more then 10 years of developing or to put the lexus brand on it and sell it as a Lexus.
That way Toyota's environmental friendly reputation wouldn't be hurt/ damaged and the and they could still sell the car and having people to belive that Toyota only cares about saving the world from global warming. (that is what sells today, sad but true that is probably why Toyota stopped making fantastic cars and started making boring cars)

Galcobar
03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Considering the fifth-gen Celica was powered by a Yamaha engine, I'm not going to be prejudiced against a successor using someone else's engine.

fdfx3
03-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Considering the fifth-gen Celica was powered by a Yamaha engine, I'm not going to be prejudiced against a successor using someone else's engine.

Yes I was waiting for that one to be brought up, I first thought: Hey thats very uncool when I saw the Yamaha logo on the first S engine I ever saw, until I was told that Toyota owns some percent of Yamaha and vice versa, Yamaha had the responsibility of building the engine head and the tuning of the engine.
Toyota and Yamaha started working together as early as in 1960 the first project they ever did was the famous Toyota 2000GT.
Acording to what I've benn told Yamaha is really good at making engines, that is probably why Toyota let Yamaha do the head and tuning.
So the 3sgte engine isn't a pure Yamaha engine just partially
Like Porsche did the engine head, intake, tuning, and the brakes on Audi RS2

I don't mind Toyota and Subaru working together, all I'm saying is that if I where going to buy that car I would like to have a Toyota engine or at least an engine they worked on together.
if Subaru and Toyota developed an engine together I wouldn't mind, or just partially like Toyota on the engine head and intake etc.

Sorry I guess I'm just a little bit old fashioned.
But hey, that is just my opinion.

Facime
03-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Its not a subaru engine in a toyota, its a subaru engine in a subaru with a toyota (or Scion) badge on it. Rebadging has been going on for decades, its not exactly a new concept. The FT-86 was planned to roll off subaru production lines only. If thats changed its news to me.

kungFUBAR
03-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Yes I was waiting for that one to be brought up, I first thought: Hey thats very uncool when I saw the Yamaha logo on the first S engine I ever saw, until I was told that Toyota owns some percent of Yamaha and vice versa, Yamaha had the responsibility of building the engine head and the tuning of the engine.
Toyota and Yamaha started working together as early as in 1960 the first project they ever did was the famous Toyota 2000GT.
Acording to what I've benn told Yamaha is really good at making engines, that is probably why Toyota let Yamaha do the head and tuning.

I don't mind Toyota and Subaru working together, all I'm saying is that if I where going to buy that car I would like to have a Toyota engine or at least an engine they worked on together.
if Subaru and Toyota developed an engine together I wouldn't mind, or just partially like Toyota on the engine head and intake etc.

Keep in mind that Toyota owns 17% of Fuji Heavy Industies, the parent company of Subaru

kungFUBAR
03-02-2011, 04:08 AM

Keep in mind that Toyota owns 17% of Fuji Heavy Industies, the parent company of Subaru

fdfx3
03-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Its not a subaru engine in a toyota, its a subaru engine in a subaru with a toyota (or Scion) badge on it.

Well that is even worse, yes I know Rebadging has been going on for years and I dont like it.
So let's just keep it simple I dont want a Subaru. end of story.

MCcelica
03-02-2011, 05:53 AM
I don't care, I'd rock the piss outta that.

andy
03-02-2011, 05:53 AM
I really like subaru, working on a few wrx STI imprezas hooked me. including a very nice JDM RHD 95 STI swap. Oh it was nice. subaru does there engines and mechanics very close to toyota and I would own either brand. Especially now that toyota holds a majority share over subaru. Notice the subaru commercials looking like toyota commercials in layout and stance. Ill have one of those subaru toyotas please. Just make it look like a smaller LFA please!

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2010-Toyota-FT-86G-Sports-Concept.jpg

T-spoon
03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Still a concept, still impossible to know if/when/how it would be produced. The concept has promise, but it's still only that.

CollapsedNut
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Looks like a Lexus

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I'll be honest, I don't like the lines on the concept or the proportions. It looks too conflicted for me to say one way or another.

KoreanJoey
03-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Do not want subaru engine....

Do not want to change headgaskets @ 120K...

Facime
03-03-2011, 04:52 AM

Never owned a 7M or 3VZ I take it?

T-spoon
03-03-2011, 05:07 AM
Never owned a 7M or 3VZ I take it?

Hahah, oh come on now... in their defense those are old engines and Toyota did get it right in the engines that replaces those in their respective vehicles.

BabyBear
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM

Didn't think the newer Subaru engines had the headgasket problems?

And I'd rather have a newer Subaru engine than a newer Toyota engine. Had it been a Toyota motor it'd most likely have been the 2AZ-FE, which is far from a "fun" engine IMO. 160hp/160ft/lb out of a 2.4L just seems low to me. And having driven a TC with one in it, I was far from impressed to say the least.

For those reasons I really don't mind that they went with a Subaru motor.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm just happy that they are doing ANYTHING remotely sporty. Currently, the most sporty thing Toyota sells is a TRUCK, the X Runner. If we're serious about wanting see a return of Toyota sports cars, we need to support the car even though it's not exactly what we want. The car looks good and Subaru mechanical aren't bad. Hell, thing could be a lot worse. The car could be coming with a ZR engine and 130 HP. This should be a good base to start with. If this car sells well, we might see a new Supra in a few years. That concept from a few years ago keeps showing up. It would be nice to see Toyota come out with something to compete with the Nissan Z. Nissan has that niche pretty to itself. I know a lot of the magazines claim cross shopping with the Mustang and the Camaro but I don't really think that many people looking at Mustangs or Camaros and interested in a Z and vice versa.

I guess we'll have to see how the production model plays out. I haven't see any good pictures of the Subaru model but it sounds like it's getting close to coming to market. Hopefully soon.

grimmythereaper
03-04-2011, 12:48 AM
if i remember the subi. version is a "hot hatch" kinda like the vw golf

BabyBear
03-04-2011, 03:52 AM
They haven't said a word on what the styling is going to be on the Subaru one yet, its still all just speculation.

Chris_G.
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Looks kinda like the new Skylines too.

fdfx3
03-05-2011, 12:37 AM
If we're serious about wanting see a return of Toyota sports cars, we need to support the car even though it's not exactly what we want.

Toyota as a manufactor should adapt to what the customer wants, the customer shouldn't adapt to what Toyota decides to make, or else they loose customers.
That is how you sell something by creating a product that is demanded.

genericly
03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
They have, hence the green engine. We're the minority, not the eco-friendly people, popular opinion is get from A to B with the least amount of fuel consumption possible. That's why this car is aiming to a higher age bracket, with the luxuries / specs it has, to appeal to the market that can afford it. Toyota just wants their slice of pie, just like anyone else. And I just want to argue about speculation.

PS I'm kind of a subi fanboi, so flame away, I love the STI.

fdfx3
03-05-2011, 01:31 AM
STI is nice, I know that green engine is what's selling today, but if they are making a sports car they are aiming for a slightly different consumers/ market that value performance and a great driving experience slightly higher than getting from A to B with the least amount of fuel consumption.

Toyota have made some of the greatest sports car's ever to come out of Japan so everyone know they can do it.
But if Toyota would do so they may risk loosing those customers that chose to buy a Toyota only because they take pollution so serious.
Saying they care and then making a sports car that is not very eco friendly makes the eco friendly image not so credible.

Grot
03-05-2011, 02:42 AM

x2

Nitro_Alltrac
03-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Toyota as a manufactor should adapt to what the customer wants, the customer shouldn't adapt to what Toyota decides to make, or else they loose customers.
That is how you sell something by creating a product that is demanded.

Toyota already makes enough money that they don't have to make any sports cars. They'll sell every Camry and Corolla that comes off the line and go their merry way to the bank. If they build a niche car, and that is what any sports type car is regardless of the maker, and no one buys it, they're not going to build something else. If this car doesn't sell, the board will say to there's no money in that niche and move on to something else Anyone who has been around Toyota for any length of time knows that they tend to take the slow approach and improve with each model, if it sells. The US minivans and full size trucks are prime examples. The first models may not have been exactly what the market wanted, but enough of them sold and they continued to develope them and now have pretty good, if not market leading, vehicles. This car, if it sells, could do the very same thing. This car has a lot of what many people want, front engine, rear drive, decent design and a sporting intent. One thing with it having a Subaru powertrain, aftermarket support and good bolt-ons will be available at launch. Support for the existing Toyota powerplants isn't that great and their not going to design and build a whole new engine for new model that might not go anywhere.

Facime
03-05-2011, 03:35 AM
But if Toyota would do so they may risk loosing those customers that chose to buy a Toyota only because they take pollution so serious.
Saying they care and then making a sports car that is not very eco friendly makes the eco friendly image not so credible.

That just so not true. Look at Subaru for an example of that model working fine. Here in Oregon, a very eco friendly state going back before that was such a thing (one of the first states to have a bottle return etc.) EVERYONE drives a subaru because of its green company policies as a whole, and yet Subaru has been a dominant member of WRC forever and makes (arguably) one of the best hot street sedans on the market.

Its possible to do both and have a viable segment of the market. Personally, I think thats why the Subi/Toyo cooperation was someones great idea.

grimmythereaper
03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
getting to point a to point b without using alot of gas is a good idea in theory but in my opinion just doest happen. It mainly depends on what u drive but even a inline 4 engine can burn up fuel very quickly if u drive the car like a race car all the time.

Okctrd
03-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Toyota should stop being so environmental, and start making great cars again, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Honda still makes aewsome cars but not Toyota.

yea your right, but it looks like now everyone is starting to go eco-friendly. Mitsubishi recently announced that they are killing the Evo and eclipse and focusing on small fuel efficient cars. Honda hasn't made anything sporty in the last years.

i really like the ft-86 though, hopefully they don't put an outrageous price on it.

Lonestag
03-06-2011, 06:42 AM
I've been following the FT-86 for about a year and a half now.

The only cars I have ever owned have been subies and toyota's. I'm a big fan of both, and the bottem line is as soon as I can afford one of these, I will own one.

It's going to be a RWD toyota coupe with a flat four and aftermarket support, whats not to love?

I don't care if it comes out as a scion, I'll learn to cope.

MCcelica
03-06-2011, 07:05 AM

The only cars I have ever owned have been subies and toyota's. I'm a big fan of both, and the bottem line is as soon as I can afford one of these, I will own one.

It's going to be a RWD toyota coupe with a flat four and aftermarket support, whats not to love?

This

BabyBear
03-06-2011, 07:47 AM

STI's are gay. Only douchbags own them.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-06-2011, 07:55 AM
STI's are gay.

Proof.

STI - Sexually Transmitted Infection

An infection that can be transferred from one person to another through sexual contact. In this context, sexual contact is more than just sexual intercourse (vaginal and anal) and also includes kissing, oral-genital contact, and the use of sexual "toys," such as vibrators.

Ghost
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM

+1

Ghost
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM

+1

MCcelica
03-07-2011, 07:10 AM
It kills me that I didn't notice this before... it also kills me that nobody else noticed either. But if you go back to the first page and look real real REAL close... at the center of the wheels... see that? It's a Toyota emblem... I couldn't tell what the emblem on the bumper cover was at first, but on the wheel, it's REAL clear.

fdfx3
03-07-2011, 11:33 PM
It kills me that I didn't notice this before... it also kills me that nobody else noticed either. But if you go back to the first page and look real real REAL close... at the center of the wheels... see that? It's a Toyota emblem... I couldn't tell what the emblem on the bumper cover was at first, but on the wheel, it's REAL clear.

Uhh? if you haven't noticed before now this thread is about the Toyota FT86, so of course there would be an emblem on the car.
and if you look at the front bumper there is a big toyota emblem there as well.

MCcelica
03-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Uhh? if you haven't noticed before now this thread is about the Toyota FT86, so of course there would be an emblem on the car.
and if you look at the front bumper there is a big toyota emblem there as well.

No shit genius. I pointed that out for those who are worried about it coming out under another brand. Ay, it might still be branded differently in the states. All it demonstrates is that it'll be under the Toyota brand somewhere in the world. But we're hoping it's Toyota here. That was the point of calling that out. The hood emblem, "looked like a Toyota, but still could be a Scion emblem" to me. Thanks for stating the obvious though. Move along.

Luni
03-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Seth, the car in the picture is CLEARLY a Toyota. No problem with that. HOWEVER we dont know if we are getting THAT car here in the states. We MIGHT only get the subaru version which we DONT know what it will look like, but will NOT have Toyota logos on it.

So, your reply was a bit harsh given the circumstances.

MCcelica
03-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Luni, that was exactly what I was saying. The only thing I added was the logos everywhere may lend some hope to having it "as is" (As close to "as is" as a concept can be) here in the states. So my reply might have been harsh. I just don't take well to people being condescending, especially when they completely missed the mark of what I was getting at.

Luni
03-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Oh and to be honest, I could give a flying fuck less if its a Toyota or not.

Cause it isnt. Its NOT a Toyota. In ANY way, shape, or form. Its a fucking subaru without its FWD portion of the AWD.

Im pretty pissed off Toyota didnt make this car WITHOUT Subaru. Its not like Toyota couldnt come up with a snappy 200hp high revving 4 banger to put in there. Fuck the Toyota of now. They are shit.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Fuck the Toyota of now. They are shit.

Fuck the Toyota of the future. In 10 years when our kids are ricing out the Corollas and Camrys for illegal street races, then you'll really hate the nonsense that has been going on.

MCcelica
03-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Lol fair enough boss.

Facime
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Actually, if you look at the history of Toyota from the time it first started importing cars to the US, you will see as a whole, its current model is closer to its original concept than any time in the recent past. Toyota was all about bringing affordable, fuel efficient, well built cars to an American public that was buying heavy, shittily built, gas guzzling monstrocities designed to sell steel not style. Many of the cars we consider to be "sports cars" from Toyota werent meant to be that in the first place (the AE86 is a good example of that).

WE...made toyota a sports car brand because some of us began to figure out how to compete on the street with at least 2 less cylinders (in some cases 4 less). I built my first 20R that put out more horsepower than the smogged out detroit crap in the late 70's/early 80's and it was in a car that weighed half as much. That was never Toyotas intention. The Supra is in fact a brand anomally.

But the fact is, those days are gone, and we might as well get used to it. The "hot-rodder" of yesteryear is still alive and well, and always will be, but expecting Toyota to play along is an exercise in futility. Look at the LF-A: cost way too much to design, and produce than they can reasonably ask for the car and expect a profit. Other smaller car companies just do that better. Toyota is a prisoner of its own corporate structure and reputation. The only thing it can afford to build now is bland, uninspired econosedans...and trucks. That model works in America...why would they ever change it?

edit: if you want a way to really see what Toyota thinks of its legacy on the street by using motorsports as an analogy just think about this: Toyota pulls out of F1, and expands its foothold in NASCAR...what does that tell you about its worldwide presence?

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-08-2011, 11:49 PM
edit: if you want a way to really see what Toyota thinks of its legacy on the street by using motorsports as an analogy just think about this: Toyota pulls out of F1, and expands its foothold in NASCAR...what does that tell you about its worldwide presence?

Marketing vs. R+D for performance.

Facime
03-08-2011, 11:53 PM
^^ BINGO!

KoreanJoey
03-09-2011, 02:39 AM
I hate this... BUT... if it turns out light-ISH (under 2800lbs) has decent size stock wheels (at least 17x7 but not something stupid like a 19 or 20) makes decent power (200+) and doesn't lands in G-stock with the Genesis...

I'll probably buy one (or lease it and thrash the crap out of it and return it)... but I'll hate myself for it.

Luni
03-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Toyota and Honda both pulled out of F1 because 2008 was some crazy low for the automotive industry. Its sad too, cause Toyota was in it from 2002 and never won a race. Honda had a lot more under their belt, and the year they left Honda became Braun GP and Jensen Button won the championship under Braun GP (which was effectively rebadged Honda).

Heres the problem. Car companies like Subaru and Mitsubishi somehow found a way to make it in the market while still making sports/sporty cars. So did Nissan. Toyota just was bigger so to them if they werent making absolute top dollar profit they werent doing good. They effectively sold out. Not effectively, they DID sell out.

And they can kiss my ass.

fdfx3
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh and to be honest, I could give a flying fuck less if its a Toyota or not.

Cause it isnt. Its NOT a Toyota. In ANY way, shape, or form. Its a fucking subaru without its FWD portion of the AWD.

Im pretty pissed off Toyota didnt make this car WITHOUT Subaru. Its not like Toyota couldnt come up with a snappy 200hp high revving 4 banger to put in there. Fuck the Toyota of now. They are shit.

I totaly agree with you on that one.
Why does it matter what emblem that is on the car when it's not a Toyota anyway?
Toyota should grow some balls and make their own sports car.
Toyota just recently showed us that they got what it takes to build propper cars by releasing the allmighty Lexus LFA only porblem with that one is that most people can't afford it and that it is still a Lexus not a Toyota.

Luni
03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
The LFA is bullshit anyway. Its not competitive in its price range, and they only did it for advertising, but it is pretty much a pile of fail on that front. The only reason why we think its cool is its a Toyota, but for the money you could get a supercar that would eat that things ass.

So in a way, the LFA is a fail too.

So, again, FUCK toyota. That is all.

Lonestag
03-11-2011, 02:13 AM
I totaly agree with you on that one.
Why does it matter what emblem that is on the car when it's not a Toyota anyway?
Toyota should grow some balls and make their own sports car.
Toyota just recently showed us that they got what it takes to build propper cars by releasing the allmighty Lexus LFA only porblem with that one is that most people can't afford it and that it is still a Lexus not a Toyota.

In response:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/as256/Dragon%202010/SANY1758.jpg

But serioulsy, why the hate for the subies?

Luni
03-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Dont hate subies. I like them.

I just dislike that Toyota felt they HAD to use them to develop this. Theyre a bunch of money hungry pussies. They wont "forge" ahead, theyll have subie do it and if they fail no sweat off their balls. It just pisses me off thats all.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-11-2011, 05:58 AM
I just dislike that Toyota felt they HAD to use them to develop this. Theyre a bunch of money hungry pussies. They wont "forge" ahead, theyll have subie do it and if they fail no sweat off their balls. It just pisses me off thats all.

What if the partnership was meant as an exploratory exercise incase someone needed buying out. It's not like Suburu hasn't pursued this route before.

fdfx3
03-11-2011, 03:48 PM
In response:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/as256/Dragon%202010/SANY1758.jpg

But serioulsy, why the hate for the subies?

I dont hate subies, but I disslike a Subaru with a Toyota emblem.
The reason for that is kinda because I want a Toyota that I can be proud of not one that other car owners especially subie owners can say Hah! thats's really a subie! and it wouldn't be that fast if it didn't have a Subie engine! (Just imagine how many times you will here that one if you buy that car)
and I would also like to se Toyota making a sportscar themself.

Cavanagh
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
It will be my next car for sure. I'd love to keep the IS3 on the side, but if I had to sell it for one, I would.

Cavanagh
03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
The LFA is bullshit anyway. Its not competitive in its price range, and they only did it for advertising, but it is pretty much a pile of fail on that front. The only reason why we think its cool is its a Toyota, but for the money you could get TWO a supercars that would eat that things ass.
Fixed for ya sweetheart :D

Ghost
03-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Some toyota racing here. and FT-86 sorta update ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw7Hycb9jYA&feature=feedu

UtahSleeper
03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I like that video.

What I have to say on this car, is I like the body and would consider buying it, but in reality, I would get one 10 to 15 years down the road when it has been abused and I could justify putting a different motor in lol. Thats if it see's an actual release date.

Facime
09-14-2011, 10:04 PM
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/09/toyota-ft-86-ii-concept-same-look-new-color-brembo-brakes-2011-frankfurt-auto-show.html

I see toyota badges on that car!

Galcobar
09-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Toyota elsewhere, Scion in North America. Frankfurt not being in North America, the badging is as expected.

Facime
09-15-2011, 12:41 AM
hmmm. I suppose that makes sense, but not all car makers badge their concepts specifically for the venue do they?

MCcelica
09-15-2011, 06:29 AM
I guess we'll have an update in December then... :)

Superman
09-15-2011, 08:50 AM
If it were me and I had the cash I would drop the subie motor and drop on a 2ar or 2az out of a scion tc and make it a real Toyota car.

Galcobar
09-15-2011, 08:53 AM
The 2AZ is the replacement for the 5SFE. It might be all Toyota, but it's what's wrong with Toyota these days: unexciting.

MCcelica
09-15-2011, 08:56 AM
If it were me and I had the cash I would drop the subie motor and drop on a 2ar or 2az out of a scion tc and make it a real Toyota car.

But why would you drop a good motor out to put in a gutless piece of crap?

BabyBear
09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Screw that, drop the NA subie motor, and drop in an EJ257!

This car has a chance of being exciting cause Toyota didn't have too much to do with it. When these things get released, I'm not even sure I'd consider the "Toyota" one if I ever decided to get one. It isn't one, so why buy one badged as one? Better yet, I should put Toyota badges on my STI! Same thing right?

UtahSleeper
09-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Aside from the motor, what else did subie have to do with it? Also, the motor isn't all subie since toyota has made changes to it. I hope the improved it's performance, but left all the parts with the same bolt pattern.

BabyBear
09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
From what I've gathered, and it may not be all that reliable, Toyota did a lot of the management, Subaru did most of the technical design. Subaru did a ton on the chassis, I think they had a lot to do with the transmission, pretty sure they did most everything on the engine, and I think a few other things. From everything I've read I've only seen what Subaru has been involved with. I haven't seen anything about Toyota designing any part of it.

Lonestag
09-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Toyota has been making appliances for so long that I think the only realistic way that they were going to come up with somthing half way exciting is to call in a company know for being able to make an fun car. I can't wait for this car to come out.

For me it's a win win on this car, cause anything not made by my favorite car company, will be made by my second favorite company.

Superman
09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Your right the 2az is the replacement for the 5sfe but, I've read in several mags and on sites that the motor with the right parts and touch can easily break three and four hundred HP. Something like that is a dream for the 5sfe. Like I said that's just me though.