PDA

View Full Version : Attn audio sluts

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Its yo piiiiimp. I wanna make my caddy rock with bassssss, lots of that loooong, drawn out, super lowwww like 30 Hz shit. I need a amp that can handle my neeeeeds. What kinda bitch do I look for when Im choosing said amplifier, do I need high RMS to hooooold those long tones like you hold me or what. Gimmi a shout ho, tell a pimp what it do. Also dis piiiiimp is cheap, dont go tellin him to get a $300 amp ho, bitches might get smacked.

Something like this (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17783_Sound-Storm-SSL-F2600D.html). Has some good stats for the price.
I think this may be better (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17415_Sony-XM-ZZR3301.html), not a Sony fan but if it gets the job done IDC

Luni
03-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Are you kidding me? Did you pimp talk translate that before you posted it here?

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 04:14 AM
Naaahh this is how I speak ho.

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Best get yo-self an education fool, cuz amps be a unit of current e-lec-tri-cal.

If yo cracka ass self was meanin' an "amplifier", maybe we hook you up. Otherwise you be tripin son.

Tripin' worse then a mack, caught in the sack, flyin' on crack, with 3 of his brothas hos.

Word.

Luni
03-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Word!

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Yeah... thats all I got. My gf is wondering why I spit milk out my nose just now. Tell me what I want to know or the girl gets it!
Hows about this sub (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9332_Alpine-SWS-1223D.html)with the above sony amp.

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Damnit. I went to bed and sure enough you guys slacked off and didnt answer me. Its like watching a 3 year old, if I turn my back for one second you all run off.

bloodMoney
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
The Type S is weaksauce.

If you are serious about some low freq bass, I know for a fact that RE SE subs and Brutus amps can do the job. You'll also have to tune the box so that 30hz gets amplified acoustically within.

Luni
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Type Rs are great, theyre "cheap" (~100 range). Spend a little more and get the Type-R and youll be much happier.

As for the amp? I dunno. I dont really have a mind for cheap amps, so youre on your own. Ive ran sony in the past. I liked them when I was a teenager.

david in germany
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Sundown Audio SAZ-3000d running 2-4 Team PSI Platform 2 subs.

Price won't be cheap but what you get, there is no better..

david in germany
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
This is when I had the single Team PSI built for my wife's car (lower level Platform 1).
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53584&highlight=platform
Install/build thread
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48591&highlight=platform
Video after I installed the 10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumfXMFGdz0&feature=player_embedded

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Thats some killer bass david... I can tell that its out of my price range lol

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Will a 10" sub be able to hold those notes or would it be better to go with 12"?

Razors_Edge
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I run 2 10" subs in a slot box off of a 750 watt monoblock amplifier. I'm making 135db with this set up beating out both 10" and 12" dual sub division with bigger amplifiers. Long story short do your research, look at how much space you have to work with and what your goals are. Don't lose sight of sound quality, please dont be the typical ricer who drowns out his mids and high with excessive bass.

david in germany
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
run the 10" and passive setup like I put in my wifes car (around $400). It slams the low notes! I wish I could have captured it better in that video but it can do about .5-.75" of door flex with that single 10 and passive radiator!

I am only running about 800-900w to it as well.

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I run 2 10" subs in a slot box off of a 750 watt monoblock amplifier. I'm making 135db with this set up beating out both 10" and 12" dual sub division with bigger amplifiers. Long story short do your research, look at how much space you have to work with and what your goals are. Don't lose sight of sound quality, please dont be the typical ricer who drowns out his mids and high with excessive bass.

Dont worry. Im MECP basic certified so I do know about proper systems and setups, its just hard to do whats proper on a tight budget! I dont keep up with every new amp or sub or speaker so I have no idea what I want in my own car. I do know I dont wanna run higher than 1000w, cause for that to be stable at 12.5 volts I need 80amps and Im sure factory alt cant handle that. I know normally you will have ~14v but I all ways figure low to be safe. 600-800watts is my range to run very stable.

CollapsedNut
03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
David.... you slut. Im lookin at his spreadsheet for speakers and I fail cause I donno WTF all I need to click. All I know is there is a magnet, voice coil, and cone. Whats all the other stuff?
Can you help me out and build one similer to your 10"?
-Love, Your Pimp

PS. I need to learn more about boxes. My MECP book doesnt go too indepth and I cant afford the advanced one right now. Ill be up all night on google
but if you know some good links lemmi know

Luni
03-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Dude, I run 1 10. An alpine type r in a box I built just for the sub. It sounds fantastic. My frequency range is full and it makes me happy and Im kind of an audio snob.

david in germany
03-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Dude, I run 1 10. An alpine type r in a box I built just for the sub. It sounds fantastic. My frequency range is full and it makes me happy and Im kind of an audio snob.
Me too, gotta have a good balanced sound. but it is nice to give a twist to the knob and get some throbbing bass flowing on a nice drive!

David.... you slut. Im lookin at his spreadsheet for speakers and I fail cause I donno WTF all I need to click. All I know is there is a magnet, voice coil, and cone. Whats all the other stuff?
Can you help me out and build one similer to your 10"?
-Love, Your Pimp

PS. I need to learn more about boxes. My MECP book doesnt go too indepth and I cant afford the advanced one right now. Ill be up all night on google
but if you know some good links lemmi know

Best bet is to post up on his forum and tell him what you want and he will give you some recommendations. Dave is bad ass! He built the sub in the Mini and the one for my wife's BMW. he will also give you enclosure recommendations for whatever sub you want him to build or build the sub for what ever the enclosure you have.

I had some dry rot problems with the sub surround in the Mini (a year after a bought it) and once I let him know he sent me a recone for it no charge and no questions asked. You can't beat that for customer service!

Razors_Edge
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Dont worry. Im MECP basic certified so I do know about proper systems and setups, its just hard to do whats proper on a tight budget! I dont keep up with every new amp or sub or speaker so I have no idea what I want in my own car. I do know I dont wanna run higher than 1000w, cause for that to be stable at 12.5 volts I need 80amps and Im sure factory alt cant handle that. I know normally you will have ~14v but I all ways figure low to be safe. 600-800watts is my range to run very stable.

I understand the whole system on a budget thing. You just have to be patient and do some serious shopping, locally and online not to mention talkin to your buddies asking around seeing what people are selling. Well i wish you luck! I have 4 blown speakers in my st165 so thats gonna be about $150 to replace those and i have to build and carpet a new floor for my st165 for the hatch as my box is 2" too tall due to the spare tire.

CollapsedNut
03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
So as per usuall Im diggin deeper into what Im doing and trying to figure out exactly how everything works ect. What I do with my time, learn tons of stuff to later forget. Jack of all, master of none.
How does a speakers sound quality relate to the voice coil? Is it the type of material used, the way its wound? Both? More?

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-02-2011, 11:11 PM
So as per usuall Im diggin deeper into what Im doing and trying to figure out exactly how everything works ect. What I do with my time, learn tons of stuff to later forget. Jack of all, master of none.
How does a speakers sound quality relate to the voice coil? Is it the type of material used, the way its wound? Both? More?

It's not so much about how it's wound, as that relates more to electrodynamics. The material makes a little more difference because coils have to deal with a lot of temperature fluctuation. The sound of a speaker will change depending on temperature, and there is always a "break-in" period. There have been so many advances on coils, that it is mostly the design, not the material nowadays. Ways to transport heat, lessen mass, flatten wires, etc. You try to look for a long lasting, durably made construction that does well with temperature fluctuations.

CollapsedNut
03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I kinda gathered that searching the internet depths. This is why I dont understand why a $200 speaker has better sound quality then a $30 one.
I understand its all about moving the coil back and forth thru the magnet as precise as possable, so is sound quality a factor of the magnet and coil together?
More wraps of wire= More precise?
Stronger magnet+many wraps=Better speaker?

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
So the more mass you have, the shorter the life and accuracy of the coil is. So, $200 speakers have better materials (strength to weight), durability, heat dissipation and conductivity. IF you have a weak magnet, like a simple ferromagnet, it loses it's magnetism over time. Using a much stronger magnet, with more precise coil construction, bathed in fluid to reduce heat, means your speaker sounds the same over time and is clearer. It won't succumb to the staggering 115 degree in car heat of a summer afternoon while it is pumping out sound. Being resistant to moisture, decay, breakdown and off gassing are pretty important aspects of overall quality driver designs.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Alright. Ive done enough speaker research for now.
HEres what I think Ima go with
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12859_Cerwin-Vega-V-Max122.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25480_Crunch-P1-2000.1.html

I all most think this will be more than I want tho.
Maybe a 10" would be better. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21159_Orion-XTRPRO102.html

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 02:51 AM
So when I start looking at 10" subs with RMS under 600w I get into good brands I can actually afford.
Infinity Reference 1062W (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18897_Infinity-Reference-1062W.html)

Im just trying to figure out if a ~300w 10" will do what I want. I dont care for "hitting" hard, i just want low notes for extended periods of time.

F that 10". Back to 12". Im realy liking the Infinity reference 1262.... its only 300w RMS and 1200w max. I just feel like that is made more for bump rather than
sustained notes. Right? Hangoutin out around 300w then you get a big hit then back to 300. Think it would give me problems with sustained notes?

Ithink its between these two:
Infinity 1262 (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18918_Infinity-Reference-1262W.html)
Pioneer ts w308d4 (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16493_Pioneer-TS-W308D4.html)

david in germany
03-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Dave at PSI can build you something cheaper if you ask him.
The sub in my Mini was a motor he had laying around and he put the sub together. It is a dual 2 ohm 10"
that will handle 600-1000w rms without issues. It cost me $175. Once you decide on the sub you really need to put ALOT of effort and thought in the enclosure. You want the long deep bass, you will need a ported enclosure or a passive radiator enclosure tuned low.
Deep tuned enclosures will normally be quite large but the Passive radiator enclosures are small.

By the way, what car are you installing this into? If it is a trunk car, run an IB setup (infinite baffle) you will need MUCH less power to get the deep solid output.

david in germany
03-03-2011, 07:49 AM
By the way. What is the difference between a $30 sub and a $200 sub? LOTS! Motor strength as mentioned above, design, quality spiders, kick ass glue joints (spider glued to the voice coil, cone glued to the voice coil) how stable the spider is, how good is the glue used, is the spider, cone optimal for the basket, proper cooling, is the voice coil wound to the proper specifications or close enough to work? is the cone strong enough to fight the proper air spring of the enclosure, will the voice coil take the heat and power from the amp..

Lots more..

Luni
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Please tell me how 30 dollars breaks the bank?

You can get an Alpine Type-R for around 100 that WILL do what you want it to, and it will blow anything youve been considering out of the water. I dont understand.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 10:21 PM
type r is better than infinity ref series then?

Luni
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Fuck yeah it is. Id put my Type-R up against a Kappa Perfect.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Fine then. Slut. They are $160 on sonic tho.

Luni
03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Way cheaper on Amazon and some other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Type-R-SWR-1042D-subwoofer-driver/dp/B000A5NIA4

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_14952_Alpine_SWR-1042D.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison

Average price ~110 bux shipped. Thats a damn good deal for that subwoofer.

Mine is the Dual 4 ohm voice coil one.The SWR-1024D. I have it running off a JL Audio 250/1 amp (thats 250 watts RMS). It can take quite a bit more than that, but with what I feed it, it sounds GREAT. Its deep, so it requires a deep box (think over 6 inches deep), but damn it sounds NICE.

Like any other subwoofer, it requires some burn-in before it really starts to sing. I think around a month after I got mine, it really started sounding very nice. Just my opinion and experience, but at the 100-150 dollar price mark for a sub, you cant touch this thing with ANYTHING out there.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Thank you baby. Thats what I needed. Now I dont have to worry about if the sub will work.

Luni
03-03-2011, 10:37 PM
You can go with a 12 also. Im sure a 12 will hit even harder than a 10 will. Sometimes I wish Id have went with the 12, but fuck, the 10 pretty much hits everything I need it to. I can listen to anything on it and it sounds nice.

CollapsedNut
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
If a 10 will do what I want then thats what I want. Sounds like it will.
Go listen to Bassnectar- Ridiculos Wobble and tell me how it does!
and Bassnectar- Replenish

alltracNyx
03-04-2011, 01:13 AM
10s are slightly punchier. A 12 won't necessarily hit harder, but it will hold those lower notes better. One 12 has always been my preference since I listen to a bit of everything.

CollapsedNut
03-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Thats what Im sayin
Luni have you listend to the songs yet. I know you wont, Ill give ya a dollar...

Luni
03-06-2011, 07:19 AM
If its going into a hatchback car, then yes, I say 1 10 will do what you want. But if its in a trunk, youll want more, And no I havent. Ive been busy installing a system in Baby Bears STI all day. Fuck my right knee hurts. Im too old for this shit.

alltracNyx
03-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Hahahahaha, after all the shit you give Klapa for being old, here you are bitching about your knee hurting after a little bit of manual labor. You ARE old Papabear :haha:

Luni
03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
My knee hurts cause I was kneeling on it ALL DAMN DAY.

And Im older than you are, so fork off!

Got it done tho. That JL W3 sounds good. Not ass good as my Alpine Type-R tho.

CollapsedNut
03-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Got my speakers and amp in today. I regret to inform you, I went cheap. I got some hifonics 12" for $30. After thinking over it all and looking at everything, I decided that for what I do, I dont need some hard bass, just a little extra. I got what I feel is a nice amp, SSL 600w RMS, feels every nice and has all the features of higher priced amps. Got some tweeters and new componets as well.
Il throw some pics up once I make my box this weekend. I figure if I really dont like what I got, Ill swap it into my lancer for my little sister(basicaly giving her the car anyways) and Ill get some real stuff once MudHoney is finsihed.