PDA

View Full Version : Corolla alltrac/4wd rear diff swap to Celica rear diff

fdfx3
02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure if I posted this in the right forum, But does anyone know if the rear torsen differential of a Celica GT Four/ Alltrac fits on a Corolla 4wd?
A Corolla like this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Toyota_Corolla_E110_front_20071025.jpg

are the gear ratio's the same?

Grot
02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I dont believe we got that Rolla in the States.

More than likely i wont drop in

fdfx3
02-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I dont believe we got that Rolla in the States.

More than likely i wont drop in

I think it has the same rear differebtial as this one: http://cdn.wn.com/pd/71/0b/4dbf8fa18011cd859a4188cfc153_grande.jpg
That model is sold in the States right?

Grot
02-28-2011, 12:26 AM
AFAIK we didnt have an AWD Corolla

The Captain
02-28-2011, 12:40 AM
I have no idea. The US corolla Alltrac had the 4AGE (fixed) motor, but I'm not sure which trans it had. If it had a 153 then more than likely the rear diff is the same.

alltracman78
02-28-2011, 03:12 AM
The Corolla Alltrac [we did get the older version] had a 4AFE. As far as I know no Corolla has ever had an S series engine, just the A series since the early 80s [plus a diesel] and then the ZZ.

The output on the transfer case changes the gear ratio to lower the driveshaft speed, then the rear diff raises it back up, so the transfer case final output and the rear diff are a matched set.
That's actually a good thing, because the final drive has no effect on this [I doubt the finals for the 2 cars are the same], but it is definitely possible they have the same shaft speed.
I don't know if the pumpkin would be as beefy though.

The Captain
02-28-2011, 03:17 AM
That's the motor I was thinking! My duh. Fixed.

fdfx3
02-28-2011, 03:29 AM
My corolla has a 7afe engine, and the car is great fun in the winter nothing comes close to sliding a 4wd car, the car is sometimes a pain in the ass to get to oversteer mainly because the lack of power but it works, only need a litle more effort, but it is not even close to my Celica gt four that car is like a sliding machine,
So I thought that if I would be able to fit a Celica torsen diff on the Corolla it will be a lot easier to get oversteer or getting the car sliding.

A friend of mine swaped the rear diff. on his Audi with a torsen from another Audi and the car became a lot more easier to get to slide.

alltracman78
02-28-2011, 03:36 AM
You don't need a TORSEN to make the car spin, you just need more torque.
Go for it, would be interesting to find out.

fdfx3
02-28-2011, 03:53 AM
You don't need a TORSEN to make the car spin, you just need more torque.
Go for it, would be interesting to find out.

I know I dont need torsen to make it goes sideway but it will help a lot, some type of lsd would really help, and second hand alltrac diff's is probably the cheapest alnternative.
More torque isn't exactly easy to obtain on an NA car. except from fitting a turbo kit or engine swap but that's kinda expensive.

T-spoon
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure there was some kind of possibly famous RWD corolla (just maybe?) that would be far better for drifting. AWD is for keeping the car straight and moving forward! :hehe:

fdfx3
02-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure there was some kind of possibly famous RWD corolla (just maybe?) that would be far better for drifting. AWD is for keeping the car straight and moving forward! :hehe:

Hmm, it I gues you dont mean the AE86, RWD is useless here in Norway because of all the snow, so AWD is very popular here.
Here in Norway 4wd is also used for drifting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvzaOgIQVoU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqrQC9ugeVc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoao54tJTd8&NR=1

T-spoon
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Ah, well I suppose I'm not up to speed with the nuances of such things. I never had any trouble getting any car to slide the arse end around in snow. It's not the first thing I think of when someone talks about drifting, though knowing you're talking about playing in snow makes the whole thread make a little more sense. At first I'm thinking "GTfour/Alltrac a drift machine? WTF, they understeer big time!"

fdfx3
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Ah, well I suppose I'm not up to speed with the nuances of such things. I never had any trouble getting any car to slide the arse end around in snow. It's not the first thing I think of when someone talks about drifting, though knowing you're talking about playing in snow makes the whole thread make a little more sense. At first I'm thinking "GTfour/Alltrac a drift machine? WTF, they understeer big time!"

Ok, sorry I realize that it may be wrong calling it drifting, drifting is more like a motorsport so lets call it playing in the snow then. ( I have now edited my former post so it isn't as misleading as it first was)
What I ment with the GT four/alltrac thing is that it is an excelent car for skiding/ sliding on surfaces such as wet tarmac, gravel and snow.
At least I'm very satisfied with the sliding capabilities of my GT Four, yes I agree with you when you say it understeers but when you first got it sliding it is an excelent car for sliding aound bends. and I think that it has to be because of the torsen rear differential and of course a small amount of torque.

The thread was mainly about if it was possible to swap the rear differential on the Corolla with an Alltrac diff.
A friend of mine swapped his diff. with a torsen one and his car became instantly more suited for playing in the snow.
That is why I started this tread.:)

T-spoon
03-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Gotcha, didn't mean to get off track.. as it were.. ;)

fdfx3
03-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Hehe that's okay.:)

usp45
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Welded spider gears in the rear diff might be entertaining. Albeit not nearly as practical as a proper lsd.

fdfx3
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Welded spider gears in the rear diff might be entertaining. Albeit not nearly as practical as a proper lsd.

Nahh, I dont think welding is a good solution because the car is being used in the summer on tarmac as well.