PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen 3SGE Throttle Body Swap

waycool
02-26-2011, 01:41 AM
I have a buddy looking to sell his throttle body off his 88 Celica. I have a 93 GTS and was looking to do some performance mods and was wondering if that one is bigger than mine (5SFE). Will it bolt up to my intake or should I get his intake too. I am going to swap my cams, header, head work and an intake system.

CollapsedNut
02-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Manifold wont work on your 5s cause its T-VIS. Thats about all I can say.
This is assuming his car is a GTS, if its a GT then it may work. Need to look at the throttle posiion senser on the TB
and see if they are the same. Probably no performance to gain tho.
Bigger TB=More power at high rpm and loss of power at low rpm
Smaller TB=More power at low rpm and loss of power at high rpm

CriScO
02-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Same size TB on the first gen 3S-GE and 5S. Sorry.

waycool
02-28-2011, 01:38 AM
This throttle body is off a 4th Gen. I think it is a GT car but that should not matter if it was a GTS, right. Did the late 80's celica (GT and GTS) come with the 3SGE motor. And if they both had it, wouldn't they both have the same throttle body. From what I read on the performance boards on the 5SFE, if you need more power over 4200 rpm, they suggest going to a bigger TB. This is especially the case when you go with bigger cams.

CriScO
03-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Okay, let me lay this out for you then.

- The Celica was in it's fourth generation from 86-89.
- The 3S-GE engine was in it's first generation from 86-89.
- Only the 86-89 GT-S came with the 3S-GE. ST/GT came with the 3S-FE or 2S-E.
- The first generation 3S-GE throttle body and the 5S-FE throttle body have the same size inlet. It will gain you nothing.
- The second gen 3S-GE(1990+) does have a 5mm larger throttle body. That motor did not come in any US vehicles.