PDA

View Full Version : ST165 suspention help.

Razors_Edge
02-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Hey guys i just found out that my left front upper strut mount is shot. are the front upper strut mounts specific to the all-trac or will any 4th gen left front upper strut mount work? thank you for your time.

Rick89GTS
03-22-2011, 04:34 AM
IIRC, they're the same for all Gen4's.
BTW, how do you know it's shot, is it clunking?

4thgenceli
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Another way you can tell quickly is to just jack up the front of the car. If that side falls, it's destroyed. All gen4's are the same though.

T-spoon
03-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Not that it matters if they're the same or not, the alltrac ones are available from Toyota, or at least they were several months ago when I replaced mine. ;)

Razors_Edge
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
They are identical. However my all-trac needs new struts as well lol. went and had a little fun and they just give way too much. So its time to do some shopping.

ericfragola
03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Holy crap dude, I completely forgot about this. And I've been at the junkyard like 6times since we last talked. I feel really bad...its POURING rain here today so I can't go, but Friday ill go and get that piece for you. you need just the top plate that holds in the coil and has the bearing in the middle with 3 screws that stick out of the plate that mount to the body. And you can see the bubbly part when you open the hood. That part right?

Damn, that was pretty detailed...a pic really is worth a thousand words. I could've just posted a pic of what I'm talkin about :P

T-spoon
03-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I would never go to the trouble of replacing a strut mount and put a used part in, personally. It's a part you KNOW is going to wear out, and if it's used you have no idea how much life it has left, but.. up to you.

ChrisD
03-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I'd bet a strut mount at a scrap yard stands a good chance at being worse than the one you already have. Just get em new.

Razors_Edge
03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Holy crap dude, I completely forgot about this. And I've been at the junkyard like 6times since we last talked. I feel really bad...its POURING rain here today so I can't go, but Friday ill go and get that piece for you. you need just the top plate that holds in the coil and has the bearing in the middle with 3 screws that stick out of the plate that mount to the body. And you can see the bubbly part when you open the hood. That part right?

Damn, that was pretty detailed...a pic really is worth a thousand words. I could've just posted a pic of what I'm talkin about :P

Thanks you, but i already bought and replaced the upper strut mount. I have however come to the conclusion that i do need new struts in the front at least as i have a lot of rebound, and the struts them self feel pretty soft. I'm going to hold out as long as possible though and get a set of meagan racing adjustable coilovers.