PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlin

tHeGeeK
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for me. I have been having to jump or boost my car quite often of late. I checked my fuses, none are broken or shorting; done the parasitic battery drain test a half dozen times; I've checked the output from the alternator and the reading at the battery; unhooked my stereo from the system. The only thing that seemed a little out was my voltage reading at the alternator was 13.6v or more and the reading at my battery was closer to 12.0v. My battery is in the trunk, I used oxygen free copper car stereo cable to run the positive cable into the engine bay and ground it in the trunk to the strut tower; both cables are 1/0 in size. Gold plated distribution block in the engine bay.

If I leave my car for more than 3 or 4 days the battery is dead, yet when I hook-up the tester for the parasitic battery drain, it reads 0 amps. I can't think of any reason the battery would die; I've tried changing the battery twice. I was thinking about re-doing my grounds to the engine block, transmission and alternator as well as the positive cable from my alternator. Wondering if that would help, and what guage cable I should use; also, where does the b terminal cable end up and does it connect in more than one other place? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm getting kind of tired of the constant electrical hassels

Jon

90blacktrac
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Check the fluid level in the battery.

alltracman78
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Do that, that could cause problems.
But having 13v at the alt and 12 at the battery means you have too much resistance in the wiring between the alt and battery.
This will eat up some of the alt power and won't allow a good charge, weakening the battery.

My guess is you have your battery relocation hooked up wrong [not your fault; a lot of these battery relocation write ups are wrong].

My posts in here should at least partly clear this up. I don't have time right now to do a huge post.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?52009-Big-3-upgrade-question&p=30152232#post30152232

tHeGeeK
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks, I took a look at it; I will attempt to ground from the transmission to the chassis in the next few days. From the looks of that post, I should look at adding a second wire to my alternator to the fuse box or replacing them. Is that correct? Alltracman78 - your last post on the thread was a little confusing between the wiring of the starter and distribution block. Whenever you have time, I'm not in a rush, you're further assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have don't have a liquid battery so the fluid can't be low.

FYI --> Positive battery terminal --> fuse --> distribution block in engine bay --> 2 wires to starter (either 4ga or 2ga)
Ground is 1/0 straight to strut tower, I read somewhere it should be under 18" in length

Should I also upgrade my ground on the alternator to a larger ga wire?

Night_Wolf
02-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Gremlin?! Like this?

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4205/gremline.jpg (http://img121.imageshack.us/i/gremline.jpg/)

tHeGeeK
02-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Feels like it. My car definitely isn't happy in the rain!

Night_Wolf
02-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Feels like it. My car definitely isn't happy in the rain!

I like!

tHeGeeK
03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Well the extra ground from transmission to chassis seems to be working, my car has lasted 3 days in -40 C weather and still turned over after a few tries. Should I still consider upgrading my alternator cable? If so where does it connect once it leaves the alt.? Thanks.