PDA

View Full Version : 6th Gen Gearbox Swap

Dr Mojo
02-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Hey...

I've got myself a MR2 E153 LSD gearbox and was wondering if it is a simple swap for the standard gearbox that hangs off the 5sfe?

Do I need to play with the axles? I presume there is a bit of mucking around with the shifter too, but that should be straight forward.

Mounts for the box should all be standard hopefully?

This may have been covered somewhere amongst the 3sgte conversion threads but I couldn't find any specific 6th gen answers.

My motivation is some serious syncro wear on 3rd gear on the current standard box. I don't mind the old double shuffle but other people just don't dig it!

Grot
02-23-2011, 02:30 AM
6th gen should be identical to 5th gen procedures

Dr Mojo
02-23-2011, 03:40 AM
There is a bit of talk about making up a hybrid axles for the swap. But I can't seem to find why this is? Are the splines on axles of the MR2 box different? (I would have thought this was standard for all s series boxes) Or is it a issue with the track width as believe the track width between the 5th and 6th Gen is different. (The MR2 is closer to the 5th gen I believe). But if the box dimensions are the same the axles should be the same length. What am I missing? Or is everything less standard than I am hoping for?

Ricky99
02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
the right side axle should work back as normal but on the left side you would have to get the inner cup that goes into the mr2 gearbox and only use from your previous tripod go back to the cv joint.

the shifter part well i not sure but i read some where that you have to use back the shifter assy. on your old gearbox and transplant onto your new mr2 gearbox. I has been done before so you should not run into any serious problems. oh and by the way what engine is it going on? 3sgte hopefully.

richee3
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
You will need MR2 inners and Camry outers, as well as a custom spacer to make the axle the right length. However, putting an e153 on your 5S-FE is pointless. The e153 is geared too long for your 5S so you'll have virtually no acceleration.

Dr Mojo
03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
However, putting an e153 on your 5S-FE is pointless. The e153 is geared too long for your 5S so you'll have virtually no acceleration.

Just checked out the gear ratios for the E153 and the S53 and did a quick calc.... In first gear the diference in ratios makes about 2mph difference while in 5th it makes about 10mph difference. You can change the ratio more than this with a different profile tyre.

Soooo...... What is dimensionally different between the gearboxes? From what has been written I take it the width of the gearbox is a little different, but the distance from the gearbox to the hubs is the same?