PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction!

Night_Wolf
02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
So my buddy and I recently got into a debate about southern cars and how they don't do well in northern climates. He says because the cooling system (hoses etc...) haven't been around these freezing type temperatures, and my other buddy sides with him because his brother had a fire bird he picked up from down south and kept blowing coolant lines. My mom has a Jimmy that she bought from my grandparents who live in Florida and has had no issues so I say he's full of crape. Any opinions guys/gals?

Grot
02-22-2011, 10:29 PM
A car is a car. It dont give two shits what side of the country it is on.

Rust prevention may be different. Maybe North cars have them south dont. but i have no idea

UtahSleeper
02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
What about them just having old coolant lines?

I agree with Grot, cars a car.

90blacktrac
02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Well rubber is a picky material and it doesn't like change.

90ToyAllTrac
02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Well its true that north cars automatically get a block heater and CA cars dont right? Who knows what else they do to save 10 cents. There are probably lots of differences in parts and materials. Its not something they would advertise because it weakens the brand and makes them look cheap. Go figure. Yup, corporate america. Accept no substitutes.

Night_Wolf
02-23-2011, 12:27 AM
A car is a car. It dont give two shits what side of the country it is on.

Well this makes me not the only one my buddy says I'm crazy lol

fdfx3
02-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Fiction!

MCcelica
02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I would be more likely to assume that if said vehicle kept blowing coolant lines, it was probably installer error. Either that or there was another problem entirely. (T-stat, improper cooling system bleeding etc)

Facime
02-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Cars arent specifically built for a destination (with the exception of cars specifically targeted to recieve cold climate options). Parts lines/suppliers may change during a model production year but 2 cars that roll off the line next to each other, might go to two different locations in the country.

Your friends smoke too much pot.

However, once a car reaches its destination two things could happen. One, it could get local aftermarket parts that arent up to standard, and two its going to be exposed to different elements. A car that lives its live in AZ will definately show different signs of age than a car from the midwest, etc.

Galcobar
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Standardized parts save a lot more money than could be saved by customizing cars to lower standards in some market areas -- both in terms of the actual parts management/inventory control, and in terms of regulatory and certification requirements.

There's a reason why a single part like a thermostat can fit over 400 models from Toyota.

klapa
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I would think that at the time when the car is built at the factory they probably don't know where it will be shipped.

Physlis
02-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Actually I'd have to claim opposite to the "same wherever it goes" claims. My dad had a mid-90's Tacoma that was part of a recent recall because it was supposed to be sold in southern states and didn't recieve the proper undercoating for sale in the northern "winter states". This happened to a good number of Tacomas of the model year and the frames were rusting out from under them due to the lack of undercoat protection.

With that I'd say cars, depending on weather in the sales destination, would be prepped for certain conditions not prevalent elsewhere. However I'm pretty sure that only applies to undercoating, block heaters and other items needed for "winterizing", not hoses or other more robust parts.

T-spoon
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, winterizing a car doesn't involve using different components to build the car, just adding things. If the undercarriage isn't exposed to nasty things like tons of salt, there's no reason a car sold in the south should have issues in the north. Unless it has the stars and bars painted on the hood and you're driving it in Harlem.

I find no logic in the anecdote about the firebird and coolant hoses and the conclusions drawn from it. If anything I'd expect a car to have fewer issues with blowing coolant lines in colder temperatures; maybe it's the wrong radiator cap (too much pressure), blockage in the system, simply worn out hoses or clamps, etc. etc. etc.

alltracman78
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
You're friend is a bonehead.

First, just because 1 car does something doesn't mean it's a common problem.
Second, I can tell you from multiple personal experience that's not true.
Both of the trucks I've owned came from NC, niether had any cooling issues at all [other than getting a hole in the radiator from a rock], my old 92 Alltrac came from Ga, had no issues, and my current Alltrac came from Texas/Ca and has had no issues. Nor have I ever heard of this before [bringing older cars from down south to up here is common 'cause of the lack of rust].

Actually I'd have to claim opposite to the "same wherever it goes" claims. My dad had a mid-90's Tacoma that was part of a recent recall because it was supposed to be sold in southern states and didn't recieve the proper undercoating for sale in the northern "winter states". This happened to a good number of Tacomas of the model year and the frames were rusting out from under them due to the lack of undercoat protection.
You're wrong. It's not your fault though, you were most likely misled.
Very few, if any at all recieved any undercoating. It certainly wasn't a common Northern thing.
Toyota's having a problem with rust on thier trucks. The Tundras have frame rust issues too.
The recall covers 95 - 04 Tacos and 00 - 03 Tundras, but the older trucks had issues too.
I know this because I live in Ma and inspect and replace more frames than I can remember.

MrWOT
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
High altitude is an option on lots of cars/trucks I've seen. Only true of pre OBD2

T-spoon
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
High altitude is an option on lots of cars/trucks I've seen. Only true of pre OBD2

Wouldn't that be more an issue with a carbed engine?

MrWOT
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
OBD1 didn't have lots of extra memory for spare maps, lots of cars come with a different ECU

T-spoon
02-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Hmm, I don't recall ever coming across a part number difference for ECUs etc. within the same year model/trim based on VIN. Is this something you've seen with Toyotas or just other makes?

MrWOT
02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Toyota ECUs reference MAP on startup, so they already do it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Very few, if any at all recieved any undercoating. It certainly wasn't a common Northern thing.

Just to say something relevant, my 91' Celica GTS "Blackhawk" came with factory undercoating. It was required in Ontario and still is, which is how I got her so cheap. The undercoating is actually evil, because it trapped moisture and created hidden problems. I am in the process of removing and resealing. Undercoating, or rust coating is merely dependent on the state, province and time the law was in effect.

andy
02-24-2011, 03:47 AM
If its been properly maintained there will be no issues. Rubber does deteriorate faster in cold climates but also in hotter ones, changing the outside temperature wont have any affect.

alltracman78
02-24-2011, 04:39 AM
Just to say something relevant, my 91' Celica GTS "Blackhawk" came with factory undercoating. It was required in Ontario and still is, which is how I got her so cheap. The undercoating is actually evil, because it trapped moisture and created hidden problems. I am in the process of removing and resealing. Undercoating, or rust coating is merely dependent on the state, province and time the law was in effect.

Yes, there are cars that get undercoating. The late 90s Corollas up here got it.
There are dealers that offer it as a dealer add on. But specifically on the trucks Toyota did not offer it as a factory option anywhere in the US. Canada I don't deal with an know nothing about.

KoreanJoey
02-24-2011, 06:19 AM
I know that some of the dealer optional install parts varied for different regions (OE Wheels, Alarm Key FOBs, ETC). Guess it would be dealer or Port installed stuff, not manufacturer stuff.

Galcobar
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Dealer options are basically customization, not a matter of difference in parts used in production. The only difference between a dealer making the customization and an owner doing it is the dealer's markup.

I should remind people that we're talking about using different parts for the same function, not additions -- particularly not easy-to-add items such as an undercoating or a bed liner.