PDA

View Full Version : Stock stereo system wiring

YukonMartin
02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
im currently in the process of installing a sub woofer under the passenger seat. no issue pulling the power from the engine bay to the seat, however i cant tell which wires are my positive, negative and remote for the sub; and where i connect to them for my stock stereo.
can anyone tell by providing electrical schematics, diagrams or plain wisdom on this topic?

YukonMartin
03-12-2011, 07:55 PM
so did my research, found m wiring diagram, and no my stock stereo does not have out puts for a sub. no AV no hi-fi.

now i was talking with an friend and he was saying i could hook up my sub to my existing system, by running my negative off my left rear speaker, and positive off my right rear speaker. (or right and left, left and right)
he said this can be done because drawing signal from both sides reduces the over all draw.
personally i think this would down grade the quality of my rear speakers because im drawing a third power source from then.
any suggestions or anyone whos done this already?

Eric Barrera
03-12-2011, 08:36 PM
year make and model. FYI, your about to get flamed ... Just saying

alltracNyx
03-13-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm not going to flame anyone Eric :cussing: lol

BUT you really should search for a bit of info on your own YukonMartin. And don't listen to friends, unless you are certain they know what they are talking about. There are also a few variables in the equation, like which car and which amplifier.

In any case, ignore what your friend has told you to do. Since you have a radio with no pre-outs for the RCA input to your amplifier, you should use a line out converter (http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-2-Channel-Adjustable-Lineout-Converter/dp/B00009UHRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299997978&sr=8-1). This will convert the signal by turning the speaker-level audio signal into a line-level signal that you can connect to your amplifier.

YukonMartin
03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I am driving a '94 celica GT-Four; it has the stock (tape & radio) stereo and stock 3" LCD screen.
the sub im looking to add is a 10" BOSS all-in-one sub and amplifier, 1500 watt. the sub/amp has inputs for high level signals (i assume we are talking about the same thing as 'line-level signal')
unfortunately ive managed to loss the installation manual, so i am at a stand still till i find it.

alltracNyx
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Ah, yes then. The all in one sub/amplifier units tend to have the converter built in, so the four wires that come out of the harness for the high level input can be directly connected to your rear speakers, two wires for each speaker (left and right rear), one positive, one negative each. I didn't realize that this is what you were installing because you didn't describe it in your posts. More information is always helpful.

Just find the model number of the unit and do a search online to find the manual. I'm sure you'll find a copy of it for free.

YukonMartin
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
wiring schematic found for both my all in one sub/amp and HU.
i am still a little nervous about jumping my sub inputs from the rear left and right speakers though. Currently my system will cut out if i play the music too load, and i dont want to work work the HU.
has anyone had any history of connecting their sub up this way?

YukonMartin
03-26-2011, 08:30 PM
found some great connectors to hook up to my HU speaker outputs, power all connected and run down the opposite side of the car. BUt bust my nuts the all-in-one sub/amp is defective and needs servicing. going to hide the wires and send in the sub for repairs.