PDA

View Full Version : Should I save this car?

klapa
02-21-2011, 03:04 AM
I have this 1993 GTS car that I bought for parts - I paid $425 for it with a free tow to my drive.

This car was billed to have a rod knock - in fact the engine is seized. Aside from that - the thing is in really stock shape. Aside from having full system 10 the plastics in the rear are near perfect - the seats in front (drivers) are a little off. The engine bay is nearly pristine - complete with even the original hood insulation intact.

I can use alot of these parts for both my Alltrac and GT and I am licking my chops - yet the more I look at this car the more I want to bring it back to life.

I looked at this car three times - it was on CL - and I declined it twice - but the price kept getting lower and I guess the guy knew a sucker when he met one .... ;) Still - for what I paid - I'm confident I'll get my money out of it in parts if necessary.

The main thing wrong with this car that made me not want it in the first place is the passenger side rear quarter:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_RQ_Damage.JPG

This looks to me like it is a major $$$ body repair just to get the dent out - nut I don't know much about body work so that why I am asking.

matman107
02-21-2011, 03:26 AM
I just bought a black 94 Gt and it was in worse shape than your 93. I just replaced the seats, water pump,timing belt and tommorrow its breaks and rotors. Tires are in order and a good compound and wax job should do it. The last thing is to order a RT front fender off ebay,I was going to part it out, but I am glad I didnt. I would pull that engine and replace it, If you are fairly mechanical minded you can do it yourself. You will not regret it. Matt

85gtsblackman
02-21-2011, 03:28 AM
deff salvageable but do you want another project?

Goldfish
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
That would be about the easiest it can get for body repair (for the top one). Nothing is creased all that bad, plus it's on a parts car, so you are not going to screw it up any more than it is. Get your hands dirty and learn something new. You can either use a rivet or drill style puller (I think drill style is cheaper). Either or, you rivet pins onto the metal and pull on those with a slide hammer, or you drill a hole and put the puller in the hole and use the hammer. If you use the rivets, you just grind them off when you are done. With the drill method, you have a bunch of holes you need to fill in with bondo, but you will use bondo to smooth everything out once you have the basic shape anyways. If you can get inside fairly easy (which I think you can if you remove the interior of the trunk) you might even be able to just pound those out with a body hammer without having to get a puller.

What ever method you use, start at the edges and work your way towards the middle in a circle. Everyone wants to pull the middle out first, but that doesn't do you any good and usually ends up making the metal wavy, making more work, or ripping the metal (if you are using a puller).

Tackle the top one, and if everything goes easy enough for you, then try the bottom one. Since the top one is on a smooth panel, that one will be easier opposed to the bottom one that has the body bubble to deal with from the fender. There is TONS of info on body repair online.

Galcobar
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
That section of the body should be accessible, with a little in the way of contortions, from the back side. You could probably hammer a good chunk of the damage I'm seeing out, courtesy of the access to the area afforded by the jack mount. Wouldn't cover all of it, of course, but the repair might not involve as much pulling as you'd think.

klapa
02-22-2011, 01:25 AM
deff salvageable but do you want another project?

85gts - you have a real point there - but - have you been talking to my wife? :)

In fact - I already have another project. my GT is down with what is in all probability a BHG. This car has a 5SFE that is supposed to be rebuilt top and bottom ~25k miles ago. So I'll need to pull this engine in any event. If in fact I find that the bottom and top end have been rebuilt I could just put this engine in the GTS after repairs.

My Celicas are all I have to drive - and I find the hatch to be infinity better than the coupe as an everyday car. Plus - the GTS has all the luxuries I would want for a DD - except for the power lumbar seats. Add to that the wheels I could put under that wide body - this is why I am "thinking".

The GT is a great car - but it does have some few imperfections in the body an while the paint is much better - could use new paint. The GTS is a wide body and more than that it has every "bell and whistle".

Okctrd
02-22-2011, 06:47 AM
i would save it, if the only thing wrong bodywise is that rear quarter. plus its a GTS :)