PDA

View Full Version : It's agood thing I did not get killed

klapa
02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I will post details later in a another thread but just to say -

I had some big noise that pointed to my passenger side wheel bearing and got the thing up and started to take it apart today.

I was worried about getting the axle nut off because from my reading this can be a PITA.

No probs at all here - after I took out the cotter pin that darn nut came off with my fingers on the side that was making noise!

I guess somebody forgot to torque the thing down or even tighten it at all. I feel lucky that my wheel didn't fly off.

FluffyNutts
02-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Isn't that something, your life was saved by a cotter pin?

MrWOT
02-19-2011, 11:00 PM
:ohnoes:

genericly
02-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Was it an alternate method (Like an anchor?) or a regular, over the head of the bolt.

I hate cotter pins being they're an integral part of my job.

klapa
02-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Isn't that something, your life was saved by a cotter pin?

Yep - a lousy soft metal cotter pin and little sheet metal lock ring probably saved my bacon - and saved my car too.

Just lucky enough to have the advice from here to stop driving the car and look into the noise......

klapa
02-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Was it an alternate method (Like an anchor?) or a regular, over the head of the bolt.

I hate cotter pins being they're an integral part of my job.

I'm not sure what you mean there, genericly - it is the usual thing for a front wheel bearing - a cotter pin through a hole in the front spindle with a sheet metal lock ring over the nut.

For a 5th gen Celica - the nut is supposed to be torqued to 166 lb./ft. - and normally (from what I have read) is a BIATCH to get loose.

As I said - mine was only finger tight - no torque at all on it.

fdfx3
02-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Look at it from the bright side, you found something wrong.
Anyways if the nut would have camed of you would be just fine except from a strange noice or two, it hapend to me i dont know why, i was out driving normal one day in my old celica GT-I and all the sudden a strange noice camed from the passangerside and it got a lot worse if I turned right or left, so I stopped to check it out, then I realized that my driveshaft had snapped in half just behind the nut so there was no nut there, I drove the car home after that it worked just fine.
the shaft had just been replaced with a brand new a couple of months before this happend.
luckily I got a new shaft from toyota on the waranty, and the new held until I crashed the car a year after.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Haha, man, that's lucky.

My dad used to call them "Jesus Christ" pins on the main shaft nut of the helicopter rotor. When they break, that's what you say....

genericly
02-19-2011, 11:39 PM
The nut that secures the main rotor head is the "J-Nut" for Jesus Nut same principle. Don't worry I was just nerding it up about the cotter pin methods. "Alternate" is when you pull a cotter pin through and tuck the ends into the castellations. "Normal" method is when you pull the cotter pin through and tuck the end over area of the bolt past the nut - with the tail tucked into the nut.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Nothing like have car that has been worked on by Mr. Good Pliers.

Glad you found it Klapa. Have you pulled it apart yet? Is the hub chewed up?

klapa
02-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Nothing like have car that has been worked on by Mr. Good Pliers.

Glad you found it Klapa. Have you pulled it apart yet? Is the hub chewed up?

Nitro,

I don't know about that yet - I will pull the knuckles tomorrow and see.

For the short term - it certainly does appear that the passenger knuckle is different - while I'm not yet sure it appears that this knuckle has been changed as that side has the ABS speed sensor tied off in the wheel well. Yet while I do have a CEL occasionally - I never have an ABS light on - but I have not checked - perhaps he ABS light has been disabled somehow.

I' spend most of today on logistics - just making a safe place to get the thing up on stands and be able to take it apart.

I have that now and will be able to take the thing apart tomorrow.

I have some pics that I will post shortly.

klapa
02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
I got the passenger side all apart today except for the hub from the knuckle. The BGB says to remove the oil seal and snap ring before separating the hub from the knuckle so I'm on hold there as I don't have any snap ring pliers.

For the drivers side - I need a DEEP WELL 30mm socket for the spindle (axle) nut - I only have a shallow well socket and it is just rounding off the outer edges of the nut. I have a serious busted knuckle trying to get this nut off and don't want to fudge it up trying any more till I get the deep well socket.

The passenger side with the noise came apart easily - except the tie rod was a pain. I tries a tie rod fork in an old air hammer with negative results - ended up popping it out with a three jaw puller I had. After getting everything loose the knuckle just came right off the axle - no puller required. The axle splines look fine - as do the splines in the hub - though the oil seal at the inner side of the hub looks like toast.

Also - this side has a different non-ABS knuckle with the ABS speed sensor tie wrapped to the inner fender well. So - I think my car has been made from "leftovers" :)

I think I will take the knuckle from my GTS parts car and get that rebuilt for the passenger side of the AllTrac. I don't really like ABS - as in my experience when something goes wrong with it you essentially loose your brakes - but for now I don't want to disable it on my car - too many "new issues".

Again - as far as I can tell by part numbers - the knuckles AND hubs are THE SAME for ALL 5th gens (so long as they are both either ABS or non-ABS cars).

If anybody KNOWS different - I would like to know.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
If you want to count the heat shield as being different, there are 2 varieties to accomadate rotor changes. Annoyingly, you need to dismantle the hub to get the shield off.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Klapa, I wouldn't worry about getting the ABS working. It's never worked on mine in the almost 5 years I've had it. The early ABS systems were finicky any way and would tend to do odd things at times.

klapa
02-21-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure what I will do about the knuckle on the passenger side - but I think I will only fix that side for the time being - as that is the only problem. If it is only the bearing and seals - then for now that is all I will do and then see what is next.

I will replace the struts on both sides with the coilovers I have. Luckily - somebody at Alltrac.net had found the old page for these shocks and at least I have a much better idea how they go together.

http://www.c-one.co.jp/C-ONEPARTS/sus_type-g.html

KoreanJoey
02-21-2011, 03:27 AM
They pretty regularly come loose if the bearing is fuckered. Same thing happened on mine, passenger side. I know it was tight because I torqued it on.

On top of the bearing I bet that you'll be needing a hub too.