PDA

View Full Version : Installing Stereo

les69
02-19-2011, 03:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows if a double din head unit out of a 7th gen celica will fit into a 6th gen celica. I have the chance to buy a entertainment unit (GPS,TV,IPOD etc) thats come out of a 7th gen 2001 celica. I was hoping to fit it into my 1998 sx celica. Does the opening of the two celicas have the same dimensions as far as the rounded edges for a nice factory look etc. Thanks in advance for any replies. Cheers Les :)

Luni
02-19-2011, 06:21 AM
I dont think it will fit. The 7th gen unit is actually bigger than a double din. Its double din tall but its wider than a normal din.

Pretty sure a 6th gen is standard double din.

Edit. Wait. You can fit a standard double din unit into a 7th gen. But no stock radio in the 7th gen had all those features, and what I said above for the stock radio is true. A stock 7th gen radio will not fit into a 6th gen. But if its a standard double din (the term din is a standard, double means its twice as tall), it will fit.

les69
02-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info i have found out the unit i was looking at was 205mm wide so it will not fit i need 178mm wide. I am trying to keep it as factory looking as possible if that makes sense or flat faced as possible if thats a better way to describe it LOL. Cheers for the reply i will post pics etc when i find something that works :)

alltracNyx
02-21-2011, 01:55 AM
A 6th gen is indeed a standard double din opening. Just be careful about the double din navigation units where the motorized screen slides to reveal the CD loading mechanism. While the opening is a standard double din, and there are many units that will fit, some may rub against the bezel that surrounds the radio.