PDA

View Full Version : towing with an alltrac?

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
whatsup celicatech! so summers coming around the corner and we have a couple toys for the water :) such as the jet ski and boat. now, this will be my first summer with my alltrac. i know it can tow the jetski no problem because ive seen a little integra do it before and i have 2x the power he has AND 2x the wheels pulling. so the jetski wont be a problem. my dads suv has 265hp and tows our boat no problem, i have an st185 running 17pounds of boost. which puts me right up around where my dads suv is. so, towing a boat or jetski wont be a problem, but can the actual chassis of my alltrac hold up to towing the boat? i dont plan on doing it but im just curious. also, where would i get a hitch for my car? so that i can roll around with the jetski.

oh, and our boats an 18ft bayliner. not too heavy not too big.

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.worchfamily.com/sale/boat/bayliner%20175%204.jpg

this is the type of boat we have so you can see what im working with.

according to bayliners website the boat weight 1,847 pounds and with the trailer its about 2200 pounds with the single axle trailer.

klapa
02-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Would depend on the tongue weight of the boat on the trailer but I would think it would be a bad idea to try to haul that with a unibody car - it would be more the loading and un-loading than the actual towing that would stress things.

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
no worries, i was just curious to know if i could possibly tow the boat or not. i guess the angle of the ramps and trying to pull it out of the water would be stressful on it, as for the jetski, thats gonna be a piece of cake. :)

heres a trailer hitch that i found. reasonably priced, and comes with everything i need. and the seller has 99.9 percent positive feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-TOYOTA-SUPRA-86-89-CELICA-1987-1991-CAMRY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1988Q7cModelQ3aCeli caQQhashZitem5d2d859173QQitemZ400195686771QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

this is a class 1 tow hitch, class 1 is good for 1 ton. and if the boat with the trailer weighs 2200, then i guess thats pushing it...

Grot
02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I wouldnt tow a boat with a class 1.

Also wouldnt tow with a celica, or any unibody car at that.

the jet ski maybe, but not the boat under any circumstances

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 07:35 PM
cool, good to know. i knew my car had the HP to tow it but wasnt sure about the body. as for the jetski its only a couple hundred pounds. its like having a car full of fatasses :D lol

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Checked your local laws?

I'd skip the unibody towing as well. You CAN do it, but it's more a question of SHOULD you do it.

If you're towing something and you have an accident, will your insurance be covering? Look into things like that first.

fdfx3
02-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I dont think your car is suitable for towing you see the difference between your car and your dads SUV is that you have a sports car and he have a SUV wich is pretty much made for things like towing, besides the suv is probably a non turbo v6/v8 or a turbodiesel wich is generating a lot of torque from low rpm's, of course you have the power and the torque but at very different rpm's.
It is not that you cant do it, but if you try i think you will realize that an altrac is not suited for towing. a sports orientaded turbo cars is not the best choice for towing, I think you are better of with a integra for towing because there you wont have no power an sudenly BOOM! lots of power.

and I think that finding a trailer hitch for you car would be a challange as well.

v8killer
02-18-2011, 01:22 AM
i like boom

v8killer
02-18-2011, 01:26 AM
i am pretty sure in the owners manual it says you can tow with the appropriate towing bit but as was said i dont think you can tow that boat. it is a unibody and yes it is twice the strength almost of a fwd celica chassis because of the "frame within a frame" design but i highly doubt the chassis would stay straight towing that boat.

90blacktrac
02-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Do it! Hell ive pulled cars, trees, and even a small chicken coop with my red 185.

ericfragola
02-18-2011, 01:33 AM
I would check the owners manual but I left all my books and crap at your place! D:

ericfragola
02-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't think I'm going to be towing the boat, but as far as other things like the jetski, dirtbikes, and other stuff that can fit on the small trailer we have. Ill be good!

v8killer
02-18-2011, 02:25 AM
oh thats right i will check for you Saturday.

are the cars in ur sig current?

ericfragola
02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
That's a negative. My signatures pretty old. That was back in the day when I had my auto X alltrac...oh and marco, if you wanna see pics of it go to the gener discussion section and look at the thread. About getting off with warnings...I posted a pic of my auto x one lol. And you know id let you know if I had another alltrac. I'm saving up for the alltrac previa. Remember? Lmao

Toyota_Todd
02-18-2011, 03:16 AM
I didn't see alltrac celica listed on that listing for the hitch. I know that when I found the hitches for my alltrac(s) that they were unique and not the same as the other Celica models. Mine is a Reece hitch and has a flat bar that slides into it. I would not tow a boat as large as yours with either of my alltracs, but I have towed a utility trailer with dirtbikes, garden tractors, yard and garden supplies, etc. You will not have any issues if your car is in good condition and don't torture the clutch by being impatient. My wifes 01 Avalon tows just slightly better but is not better in power, just how it handles the weight of the load. Your option of towing the boat with the SUV is the best choice and that will save your alltrac.

v8killer
02-18-2011, 04:25 AM
now that you mention it i think it was a st185 that there was a hitch available for.

Fox 21 Alpha
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
FML double post

Fox 21 Alpha
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
If you check the manual you will see you have to get a special hitch because of the location of the fuel tank on the All Trac, it sits kinda more lower and outward, so you have to get a special hitch that won't puncture it in the event of an accident of some sorts.

And the HP perhaps may be up to standard, but I'd look at your torque as well, that's just as if not more important, and especially the range you generate it at.

My advice is just buy an ass to haul your boat.

v8killer
02-18-2011, 06:24 PM
that ass is his dad's truck. torque wont be a problem our cars make really good torque so it will be right up there.

CelicaGT4
02-21-2011, 02:06 AM
I say screw it and tow the boat with it. That would be pretty badass passing someone on the freeway.

It would only be better if you had a 5th wheel hitch on the roof. Someone photoshop an st185 pulling a 37ft 5th wheel camper........I'll sig that shit.

klapa
02-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Thinking about it further - if you could get rid of excess weight by ditching the guy driving and then having the girl remove the yellow top - you might just make it.