PDA

View Full Version : A little help?

Razors_Edge
02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey guys its been a long time since i last posted on here but i was wondering if i could get a little help. I am in the process of selling my 1990 Celica GT. I have been looking for a MKII supra to purchase but i have been keeping my eyes out for an all trac all the while. I recently found one (today) for a reasonable price. Shes an 88 ST165 blue on blue, my question is what things should i be looking for in terms of ware and tare, common rust spots mechanical issues. I'm hoping to fulfill a dream many years in the making so any help or suggestions as to what to look out for would be very very helpful and i would be very greatful.

CollapsedNut
02-17-2011, 02:05 PM
If its an all trac and in your price range, get it no matter what lol
Just use your head and itll be fine.

ChrisD
02-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Common rust spots - front fenders, especially underneath the bodykit. Also check the rockers and underneath the floor pan, especially where the seats are. Keep an eye out for leaks, burning oil, things like that. Drivers seat if leather is often worn from driver getting in and out.

Good luck!

Razors_Edge
02-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Thank you chris that helps alot. Thats exactly what i was looking for. One more question the owner states it grinds a little going into 2nd gear. This leads me to believe that either he has been hard on the clutch and it will need replaced, the teeth on 2nd gear on worn down, and or the 2nd gear sycro is going out. Would this be a correct assumption and what might you think is the likely cause?

CriScO
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Most likely cause is the syncros.

ChrisD
02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
That is a very common issue, especially with the 165 trans. Sometimes switching to a quality fluid like Redline MT90 will help a lot. Some go as far to use GM Synchromesh, which will over time kill your syncros, but in the mean time people report very big improvements in shift quality... However, if not it will probably be easiest to find a newer transmission as opposed to trying to rebuild it (unless you can do this yourself). My 165 trans did that when I first got it, but eventually swapped out to a JDM ST185 trans which has been great for 8 years now.

A compression test on the engine will also give you a good idea of engine health. Biggest thing is consistent results across the board. But having that checked is always a good idea.