PDA

View Full Version : forged pistons and supporting mods

ericfragola
02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey everyone, I'm looking to up the boost in my 185swap. I'm currently doing 16pounds on the stock turbo, but I want moreeee! I'm going to be getting a garrett GT35 soon. Or something of that size. But, the stock block has a couple weak spots that can't handle this kind of power, I already know a couple things I need.

1)forged pistons
2)MHG (going with cometic from ATS)
3) ARP head studs
4)and I want to replace my rod bearings while I'm at it.
5)bigger fuel rail
6)bigger injectors
7) new fuel pump

Since I already know where I'm getting my MHG from, where should I get the others? I'm looking for somewhat cheap prices.

Oh, and I'm also looking into getting a water/methanol injection kit to keep my EGTs down.

Current mods:
-3inch DP
-3inch mid pipe
-3inch manual dump valve on Y pipe
-MBC from twosrus
-FMIC w/ 2.5" piping
-HKS SSQV BOV
-HPS 4ply couplers good till 240psi
-polyurethane engine mounts
-AFR gauge

Any other reccomendations for what I need to get a turbo the size of a GT35 put in?

My goal is to get around 350WHP, possibly more.

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 05:41 AM
now that i think about it, i shouldve posted this in the forced induction section.

ChrisD
02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Rods, engine management. Also, I'd refresh all the various seals and gaskets. Get a new oil pump, water pump, fix any issues that may be outstanding. And you will need an upgraded clutch. GT35 is a pretty large turbo, you can do 350whp with less turbo than that.

v8killer
02-18-2011, 06:16 AM
gt3582 = 600+ whp max power output

fdfx3
02-20-2011, 01:30 AM
maybe you should try gt3071, I Think you should be able to reach 350whp with one of those and with a lot more driveability, you shouldn't get a bigger turbo than what you need, bigger isn't allways better.

You might be interested in reading this thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?51911-How-much-boost-can-a-stock-celica-take
Where turbo size for the same goal whp have been discussed earlier.

And I just want to mention that I seen cars with 400hp and rear wheel drive smoked cars with over 1000HP and 4 wheel drive at a race track only because of better build quallity.

But of course if you are planning on dragracing your car you should focus more on big power.

Ghost
02-20-2011, 04:08 PM
maybe you should try gt3071, I Think you should be able to reach 350whp with one of those and with a lot more driveability, you shouldn't get a bigger turbo than what you need, bigger isn't allways better.

You might be interested in reading this thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?51911-How-much-boost-can-a-stock-celica-take
Where turbo size for the same goal whp have been discussed earlier.

And I just want to mention that I seen cars with 400hp and rear wheel drive smoked cars with over 1000HP and 4 wheel drive at a race track only because of better build quallity.

But of course if you are planning on dragracing your car you should focus more on big power.

fddfx3, you forgot to mention that the car is only as good as the driver. :)

fdfx3
02-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Haha yeah that's right.

v8killer
02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
that awd vs rwd situation u mentioned only applies to a supra vs a skyline lol but yeah driver can screw up. and conversely i have seen on you tube a 600 awhp 98 gt-four smoke a high power supra, just look up "600 hp celica"

fdfx3
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
that awd vs rwd situation u mentioned only applies to a supra vs a skyline lol but yeah driver can screw up. and conversely i have seen on you tube a 600 awhp 98 gt-four smoke a high power supra, just look up "600 hp celica"

the situation I mentioned was a 20 or 30 lap timeattackrace. with everything from supra to mini cooper