PDA

View Full Version : Another Spring Thread

genericly
02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Ok, ok, I've read our forums, I've read some other forums, most people have the "KYB AGX Adjustable PN# 765015" they came highly recommended, I read some build threads to get a feel for them and liked what I found. Now I'm in the market for Springs, I don't like Eibach's website - it just doesn't give me any information my newbie brain can compute. I really like how Ground Control - Coilover Conversion Kit lets me enter the spring rate I want, thus far I haven't been able to find much except Fensport offers some that are 20% prorated. http://www.gtfours.co.uk/ Suggests the 40% prorated opposed to the 20% he got - and I've been reading this website pretty thoroughly for the past week or so. (Yea, I read, then reread, then reread).

My question for you, CTech, I have the aforementioned KYB AGX adjustables - what I need are springs, so which springs? The builds I read listed "Intrax" springs, I haven't had much luck researching this part on my own, any specifics out there? What about the Ground Control kit? 400 isn't out of my price range, eventually I'll be converting the rear and I'd only have to source struts at this point. But I'd like to save room in my budget for PU bushings, and a sway bar so I'm open to suggestions.

My driving style could be said to be "Spirited" I want a responsive ride, and I don't mind a little stiffness, I spent a few years on streetbikes (ex250 - r6). I don't think I'll use coilover's for all their worth. I just want stiff springs that won't lower me much more than an inch at most.

I know my grammar and presentation blows. Thanks for reading, and I hope to resolve this soon! I'm going home to my baby and would really like to have parts waiting on me. (Oh halfday schedule, how I long for thee).

bloodMoney
02-16-2011, 03:09 AM
I know that you said that you don't like Eibach, but I've got a set of prosport springs on my 6g and I love them. Just a 1" drop and my next purchase is going to be the KYBs....

My 88 alltrac has Intrax springs on it and its very low to the ground, we may have to get others to cope with the bad Chicago roads.

KoreanJoey
02-16-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm very, very happy with my H&R springs... aside from that, as far as just springs, I've got no idea.

genericly
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I have KYB AGX adjustables purchased for the front, still trying to figure out what I'll put on the rear. But this is my Spring Thread, not my shock/strut thread.

Options

GC Sleeves

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=90/CA=18

BG

S2 Sport Spring
Part Number: 92.1.016
MSRP: $299.00

Megan
http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=522&catid=44
I couldn't find anything for the st165 per se, only the 90-99 Celica (Not Alltrac).
Part Number: MR-LS-TCE90
MSRP $149.00

Intrax
Gone the way of the dodo.

I know I can find these cheaper but I was just finding the MSRP for reference. I know I missed a few, I couldn't find anything from King that would fit [didn't look too hard either]. And fensport (I <3 them.) is out of stock on their lowering spring (20% prorated over stock)

Like I said earlier, I think I'm just going to get GC and have them custom sprung (did I say that right?) for about 40% over stock. And be done with it, I like how on their website they have the strut they'll be working with and you can enter the weights for the springs for the more custom effect.

ChrisD
02-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I run Intrax springs on my 165. People seem to like H&R too. I don't think mine is too low, I personally think the ride height is perfect. Plus they are progressive, have a really nice feel. Intrax is still around, the trick might be finding a distributor in the US.

genericly
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Ending on a good note.

I did a lot of googling, looked through a lot of manufacturer's springs (A lot more than I care to admit). EVERYONE seems to offer progressive, I assume it caters to the ride comfort. I wrote a few emails - I was about to order generics from Tein - but they were linear - what stopped me was not having the measurements I needed.

The emails were something of a failure, I called GC since they never responded to the email. VWHALA within 30 seconds

Them: Ground Control
Me: Uh, yea, I have a question - about your "EE-BOTCH" springs? Yea, I probably butchered that.
Them: Yeah?
Me: Are they Linear, or Progressive?
Them: Linear.
Me: Thank you so much, man this was easy.

So I'll be getting the GC kits - and either ordering them now or on the first. =]

GTAsian
02-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Ground control offers custom spring rates and adjustable ride height. You'll pretty much be running on coilovers. (which is why they're called coilover sleeves)

genericly
02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Yea, I know I have some corner weighting in my future with this setup - I was looking for the easy lazy route. But the more I look into it, the more I lean away from the "easy".

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Doesn't GC just use Eibach springs?

Springs: We are pleased to announce that Eibach has chosen Ground Control as the west co distributor for their ERS (Eibach Race Spring) line of springs. All of our ride height adjustable kits n exclusively feature Eibach springs. All racing and street/show spring rates are available. All Eib springs offer a lifetime warranty against spring rate change and sagging.

genericly
02-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Doesn't GC just use Eibach springs?

Yes, I actually thought of mentioning again that it was their website / presentation I didn't like - especially since I was going with GC. Oh well. =] Unless you're implying skip GC and go straight for their springs.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-23-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm not implying, you still won't get the ability to adjust ride height. I only mentioned it because I think that is the route I'm going, and you just cleared up something for me!

Numbchux
02-24-2011, 05:27 AM
_

KoreanJoey
02-24-2011, 06:16 AM
They're ERS (Eibach Racing Springs) not the Linear Pro/Sport Line kits.

I did just fine with them but I might try Hypercoiil this time around.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
I am picking up a set of Megan's with KYB's for my spring suspension upgrade. Got a crazy good deal on the springs through a work incentive. Basically, free.

celicaGTS_T
04-14-2011, 01:38 AM
@ Car_Barn_Bandit, I'll let you know now (cause I have the exact set-up on my GTS), make sure your front cartridges are tightened to all holy-hell hahaha! I recently had a situation where my driver side came undone while on/in the car. And don't expect them to last long... But overall, the springs r quite stiff but doesn't make the car appear to be lowered. I even questioned a cop about if it was lowered or not (ticketable offense?), and they couldnt tell lol. So enjoy.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-14-2011, 04:42 AM
@ Car_Barn_Bandit, I'll let you know now (cause I have the exact set-up on my GTS), make sure your front cartridges are tightened to all holy-hell hahaha! I recently had a situation where my driver side came undone while on/in the car. And don't expect them to last long... But overall, the springs r quite stiff but doesn't make the car appear to be lowered. I even questioned a cop about if it was lowered or not (ticketable offense?), and they couldnt tell lol. So enjoy.

I will use some thread lock on this build. My GT driver side assembly came open and confused the hell out of me noise wise for a week. I got new assemblies from the yard I am cleaning up and painting. I could go orange to match the springs. Good dilemma to have...

waycool
04-28-2011, 02:37 AM
I also have a GTS, a 93. I too am looking for a spring set to replace my factory worn out ones. My dilema was that Koni said that lowering your car could bottom out their struts and ruin them. I wanted to get the Koni's also with a set of springs but that stopped me. How are the KYB GR-2's. I have heard mixed results.

KoreanJoey
04-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Um... who told you that about the Konis? That's no different than any other shock. That's what bump stops are for.

GR2s/Excel G's are essentially the same as stock.

KoreanJoey
04-29-2011, 06:55 AM
But overall, the springs r quite stiff but doesn't make the car appear to be lowered. I even questioned a cop about if it was lowered or not (ticketable offense?), and they couldnt tell lol. So enjoy.

That's probably because the height lost due to the sagging from the age of the original springs. I bet compared to new factory springs you'd be able to see more of a difference.

Luni
04-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Does Swift make springs that will fit on the GC type setup?