PDA

View Full Version : Painted my car, couple questions

Hookecho
02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
I painted my car today using a Duplicolor Red Cherry color. I used a ready-to spray paint that was already thinned down and I guess had some clear mixed in with it, idk.

Anyway, I wet sanded the old primer off the car and spayed a fresh coat of Duplicolor primer. Then sanded that primer and prepped the car for paint.

I got the paint sprayed on the car and let it dry for an hour so. I noticed that there a spots that have a higher gloss than others. It makes the paint job look kind of blotchy. I'm not happy at all with it.

I'm hoping that once the paint dries for 24hrs that it will look a little better. I doubt it will though.

Would spraying some clear coat on the car help?

I just want the paint to look uniform. I don't want a bunch of spots that are more glossy than others.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. They will come tomorrow after I reassemble the car.

CollapsedNut
02-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Sometime when its wet it will look like that depending how light hits it. I would advise putting a real coat of clear over it anyways, then a good wax.

Hookecho
02-15-2011, 02:22 AM
I guess I'll have to see how it looks in the morning. It was dry to the touch a few hours ago when I left the shop.

CriScO
02-15-2011, 02:23 AM
I agree, I think some spots are still just wet. Paint like that takes a while to cure.

Definitely still do a clear coat though.

Hookecho
02-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Hope you guys are right. I have two days tied up in this paint job.

CriScO
02-15-2011, 02:27 AM
This just reminded me, a guy came into my store once trying to return some wax. He said, "it's brand new paint, I just did it yesterday. This stuff makes it look like crap, I'm using a buffer and everything."

I said, "Congratulations, you just ruined your paint job. Buffing wet paint never works."

ChrisD
02-15-2011, 02:29 AM
I recommend a really good buff / wax on it. The colour sometimes doesn't come out until it's polished out. But I've never used paint like that, I'm limited to DIY rattle can jobs. :P

Galcobar
02-15-2011, 03:05 AM
How many coats have you applied, and have you done any wet sanding between coats?

Beyond that, do NOT wax or seal your paint any time soon. It needs significant time to air cure, particularly when it's not baked. A polish is acceptable, but go for one with little or no abrasives as those are more appropriate for new paint.

I'll agree with others regarding a clear coat, it will even out the finish and provide a layer of protection to the colour coat. Same rules on waxes and sealants apply to the clear coat -- it's still paint.

Hookecho
02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
I applied 3 coats and allowed 10 minutes of dry time between coats. As per the instructions on the can of paint. They did not mention sanding in between coats so I didn't.

When should I apply a clear coat? It says that the paint will fully cure and can be sanded in 7 days.

joe's gt
02-15-2011, 05:43 AM
The purpose of clear is to smooth out the finish and provide a nice mirror surface. If your not using hvlp, its a lot harder to get that uniform finish because the fan isn't as wide and the paint atomizes better when you have high air pressure forcing it through a small orifice. Clear will significantly improve the finish, but it might not go away entirely. There is a VERY fine line with clear in getting it wet enough to produce a mirror finish while not too wet so it runs.

I'd wait the 7 days, sand, clear it. No need to sand between coats, just between primer, base, and clear.

MCcelica
02-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I would do a couple coats of clear, wetsand, then buff it out with a high speed buffer. You generally won't get much good effect unless you're using a variable speed buffer (IE: between 12-1400rpm)