PDA

View Full Version : sticker removal?

deuce
04-23-2005, 01:30 AM
was wondering how can i remove a sticker i had for about 8 month on my windsheild...should i use like a heat gun or somethin ...tnx

GT4RC
04-23-2005, 03:41 AM
if it's on the outside just razor it and buy some goo-gone

deuce
04-23-2005, 04:06 AM
yeah its on the outside...

Oz^
04-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Hey I also have a sticker on my trunk. Its been there for 15 yrs because its a sticker of the company that sold my car in 1990. goo gone doesn't do anything at all so any other ideas? thnx

Colossus20v
04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
try to get under the sticker with a razor or something(be careful of your paint) and get as much off of it. Then use goo gone or any adhesive removal to take it off. On the windshield just use a razor and then any adhesive remover to take off any sticky stuff...then wash your windows.

dan93st
04-23-2005, 09:39 PM
In my experiece, a clay bar works well too for removing adhesive residue from paint or glass.

blck87gtconv
04-24-2005, 01:43 AM
do NOT put a razor blade anywhere near your paint. Dental floss, fishing line.. this stuff works for removing dealer badges. Goo-gone works, WD-40 works, Even the claybar works.

Just be sure to take care of the paint after you hit it with chemicals or strip it with the clay bar.

MoralWarfare
04-24-2005, 06:25 AM
do NOT put a razor blade anywhere near your paint. Dental floss, fishing line.. this stuff works for removing dealer badges. Goo-gone works, WD-40 works, Even the claybar works.

Just be sure to take care of the paint after you hit it with chemicals or strip it with the clay bar.
word, NO RAZORS! you run a high risk of messing up the paint.

you have a few options for sticker removal. You can use a heat gun and heat up the emblem, and then work your floss underneath it. This is an effective method, but will most likely leave excess goo, and you run the risk of damaging paint if you leave heat on it too long.

You can also use Goo Gone or 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner or a similar product. Apply a liberal amount to the badge (making sure to get in all the crevaces) and walk away for 10 minutes. Come back and repeat the process. When you come back the third time, get some more cleaner in there and work the dental floss or fishing line behind the badge. It should come off with ease, and the excess goo will be minimal and easily removed with more adhesive cleaner.

I personally put some adhesive cleaner on my side moudlings and left it for an hour. Came back and applied more cleaner and waited ten minutes and continued to remove the badge. The extra time I gave just insured the adhesive cleaner would sink in and work its way through the adhesive.

schmooot
04-25-2005, 03:32 AM
on glass you won't need any goo remover, just a brand new razorblade, and as long as you keep it flat on the glass you won't scratch a thing

carlosfandango
04-27-2005, 03:44 AM
auto glass is safety glass and is not like float glass used in normal glazing applications, as such you can scratch it easily with sharp mettalic blades. I use a stanley blade but ive done a lot of craft work with just a blade between my fingers so i'm confident i wont scratch the glass - so just be careful if you do use a metal sharp blade.

easier way - get a hair dryer and heat it up using an extension lead, pick the corner with your nail and pull it off - any petroleum based thinners on a cloth will remove the glue, watch your window rubbers though and any vlour trim.

On your paintwork, use the hairdryer and your finger nail, dont heat up one area for too long, peel it back and remove. petroleum based thinners will not damage your paintwork otherwise you would have stripped paint around your fuel filler cap.