PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte research

Ghost
02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
So just like everyone else i am planning on putting a 3sgte in celica, after much though its the right bang for my buck, since my previous idea of having a 200 5sfe would cost 2 times the amount of a 3sgte. anyways. i wanted to ask what mods would u do for a general swap ? from what i read on the forums alot of people upgrade fuel pump and down pipe.

also i am still looking for the right place to buy my 3sgte engine from. i am not sure yet if i am going to swap it myself or take it to a shop. if i end up doing the swap my self i want to make it as easy as possible for me. i seen a couple of 3sgte that come with a swap tranny to fwd on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Celica-Mr2-3SGTE-ST215-Engine-3sgte-Celica-Fwd-Lsd-Tran-/250769171230?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6301e31e

ill be adding more here, i got to get ready for work.

WALKER
02-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Definitely do your research before jumping into it. There are many good articles and people you can contact about swaps. You are able to use the stock transmission, its only a question of how much power it will hold before giving up.

One thing to caution you about with your eBay link is that the 4th Gen 3S-GTE out of a Caldina ST215 has a combined turbo and exhaust manifold. So you will not be able to upgrade that turbo without completely replacing the exhaust manifold.

My advice to you would be to do the swap yourself. If you are going to be driving a car with a swapped engine, you will most likely encounter mechanical issues as you drive the car. In those cases you will definitely want to feel comfortable with what is going on under your hood as you will be able to much easier troubleshoot the problem.

Good Luck!

ChrisD
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I agree, do the swap yourself. Most shops won't touch that kind of work unless it is a tuner shop, and then they will charge an arm and a leg for the work. Doing it yourself will give you the opportunity to learn about your engine so that you feel comfortable working on it in the future, and save you a tonne of money in the process.

As for mods, I would personally leave it pretty basic until the car is running nicely. Stick to exhaust work which you would need anyway, and maybe an intercooler depending on your setup and preference.

Ghost
02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
so i got the option of getting a 3sgte 3rd complete from local seller, for $500 no turbo and $900 with the ct20b. but a little bit of history on the engine, it has not been started in the last 4 years its been sitting swapped in car for the last 3 and half years. the seller is going to do a compression test for it after it comes out of the car. what other things i should look for when looking at and engine ?

my plans are to build a 300 whp 3sgte , something i can dd and take to the track sometimes. anymore than 300 would be to much for me.

as for my tranny i was looking to get my rebuild or upgrade to something better.

i am not in a rush to the swap and i want to do it proper.

MrWOT
02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
4th gen is a good engine, if you upgrade the turbo later go with a cheap ebay manifold, problem solved. :)

v8killer
02-17-2011, 02:28 AM
ebay? kinda hard to find the gen3/4 manifolds anywhere.

oh and uh, you'll get the mod bug soon after its done. for me it went from a bug to a flu to an epidemic.

v8killer
02-17-2011, 02:30 AM
btw for the record. the ct20b doesnt exist there is only a ct20 its a small turbo on a turbo truck. the third gen turbo is a ct26c2. but ppl know it as a ct20b idk why. its an f'n ct26c2 sorry, done venting.

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 05:31 AM
btw for the record. the ct20b doesnt exist there is only a ct20 its a small turbo on a turbo truck. the third gen turbo is a ct26c2. but ppl know it as a ct20b idk why. its an f'n ct26c2 sorry, done venting.
you say this EVERY day lol.

v8killer
02-17-2011, 06:22 AM
haha it bugs the crap out of me! its like saying a toyota curren was built on a camry chassis or something idk it just bugs like saying a 22re is the same as a 3s..... u just dont do that.