PDA

View Full Version : Ever get off with a warning??

90ToyAllTrac
02-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Ive heard stories from friends and friends of friends, chicks and dudes who got off scott free when they never should have and in some cases actually got rides from the cops!

For the first time EVER on Friday I got to experience what its like. I was actually pulling into a bar and got pulled over. 9:30pm For turning into a lot from the far lane but only because there is snow filling almost half of the right lane and the only cars were at least 50 yards behind me. And I signaled. In this town ALL they care about is DUIs so I knew I was fine cause I hadnt had a drop. I just didnt want to get a ticket. And ofcourse whats the first question? How much have you had to drink tonight? Nothing, so he checked my paperwork and let me go. Amazing, I never thought it could happen to me. Thinking about it now I shoulda went straight to get a lottery ticket.

Murgatroy
02-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Many times.

I have been let go scott free on many occasions when I should have been hauled in.

CollapsedNut
02-14-2011, 01:21 AM
I loose my license in 4 days, lets just say I wish he woulda let me go lol.

187flatliner
02-14-2011, 01:38 AM
several if not too many times....(knocking on wood right now)

boo_guy
02-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Only time I did was when I had a new exhaust put on and it was stupid loud.

Cop pulled me over, checked under the car for a cat then suggested I get a resonator put on there or I might end up on a list of modified cars that the local cops have that they use to harass modified car owners.

You get on that list and the cops pretty much pull you over and ticket you for something every time they see you.

manda
02-14-2011, 02:00 AM
a couple times... should have def gotten a ticket at least one of those times.. 70-something in a 55... but I was a minor and writing the ticket would have put me out past GA's curfew for anyone under 18, and the cop didn't feel like doing the additional paperwork for that, so he gave me a verbal warning and told me to go straight home...

CollapsedNut
02-14-2011, 02:06 AM
OH MANDA! I was at PAP friday and found that 6th gen with auto trans! Bad part is... I wasnt sure which part you would need and I had just enough moneys for my engine. Give me a better discription and Ill get it when I go back, probably this coming friday. I figured it would be clear what you ment by "auto shiter boot" but then looking at it I was stumped.

manda
02-14-2011, 02:09 AM
haha, sweet. ill send you a pic so you can see exactly what i need. will be sent in approx 2 minutes.

...PM just sent.

klapa
02-14-2011, 02:58 AM
I have gotten off more time than I should have - but one such time sticks out the most.

I was living in Griffin, Ga. and one Friday I got off and was speeding in my Dodge Dart down the highway out of town. I was doing about 65 in a 45 zone and had just bought a six pack which I had already opened and started drinking on the way home.

So anyway a Spalding County Sheriff deputy pulls me over and I figure that my ASS is GRASS - and rightfully so - cuz I am out and out drinking while driving PLUS I have an open six pack on my floorboard!.

He asks me if i have been drinking and I tell him "Yep" - what else could I do? He then asks me if I am drunk and I tell him "Nope - I just had one".

So anyway the guy tells me he wants me to go into town for a sobriety test and I ask him if he needs to tow my car. To my surprise he says "No" - I can just leave my car there on the side of the road and if there is no problems then I can just come back and get it. This is a very big difference from Atlanta cops.

So anyway - I go to town and they make the test and I am way below the drunk level - and then this deputy takes me back to my car!

He says to me that he could have got me for an "open container" - but because i was so "nice" when he arrested me he would give me a chance to drive home.

So I get in my slant six Dodge Dart and head down Hwy. 16 out of Griffin with this guy about 2 feet off my ass the whole way home.

But I made it - and I got off better than I deserved.

fdfx3
02-14-2011, 03:15 AM
I was pulled over by cops for being spotted doing a 4wheel drift in a roundabout with my Corolla 4wd,it was about 2am i went i to the roundabout drifted trough the roundabout, then i suddenly noticed a car coming after me at high speed and it was riding my bumper for a while, because it was pitch dark outside I couldn't se what car it was only 2 headlights, I thought it was a litle suspicious so I chose to drive carefully until we got to two realy tight 90 degrees corners and i used the traction of my 4 wheel drive too pull away from the car (there was a lot of snow on the roads) and so i did, but when i looked in my mirror I could see blue lights blinking and I thought. DAM! there goes my driver licence.

but when i finaly came to a stop, this chick comes up to me asking if I know why they pulled me over, I just pretended that I had no idea, then she told me that the reason why they stoped me was they saw me drifting trough the roundabout.
I just blamed it on the snow, said I was going in to the roundabout a little faster then what I should have and that my rear wheels lost traction so it may looked like a drift.
It didn't sounded like she belived me, but then she just checked my driver licence and insurance and said that they hoped they never see med driving like that again.

I tell you I was one happy person, so then went out in a search for some place to drift where there was no cops.

Getting caught drifting in Norway usually means you are certain to lose your licence especially in a roundabout.

Hipster Lawrence
02-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Once leaving Helen GA it was a friends 21st birthday so he was wasted. I had a few but had eaten so was fine. Any we get pulled over of course. Everyone gets pulled over leaving Helen at 4am. Anyway as the cop is walking up my friend tries to shove the empties under the seat. The cop askes what it was and my friend responds; "oh just some beer bottles" cop just ignores him and procedes to explain that he pulled me over because I had crossed the fog line. About this time my friend pipes in with "fog! There ain't no fuckin fog!". Cop pulled me out of the car gives me the breath test and I blow .06 legally he could have taken me in if he wanted to be an asshole. But he let me go. Says "mr glover you go straight home and don't drink one more drop til you get there" and that's exactly what I did.

Another time in Austell GA I was driving my punkmobile/artcar and got pulled over like always in that car. And got searched like always in that car. He finds my dugout. It has maybe 1/2 gram of pot left in it. He askes if that's all I have and I say yes and that usually I'm not stupid enough to ride dirty in that car since he himself along with every other Austell cop have pulled me over and searched me. He kind of laughs and hands me my dugout and let's me go. End of story.

Facime
02-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Ive submitted to 3 field sobriety tests and drove home at the end of them with nothing more than a warning. At least one of those times I was definately legally drunk, but have an incredible capacity for concentration and balance. The times I should have recieved tickets in my life I have gotten away with several, but I also seem to get pinched on the stupidest crap at just the slighest momentary lapse of judgement. I guess it balances out.

bzdweezy
02-14-2011, 03:51 AM
I wish...

First ticket was a 47 in a 40
Second ticket was 70 in a 65.
Both were dismissed but it was just a waste of my time.

Galcobar
02-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Get-together of a good chunk of my high school grad class about two years after graduation (we were a little unusual in that we were the top grade at our school for three years as it transitioned from 8-10 to 8-12).

Went from a bar to a club, and at the end of the night there's quite a few people in need of delivery home. I have my Celica, and four people to get home. You can see the issue -- five into four. I don't drink, thus why I'm driving, but there's some logistics aside from there being five people. One passenger was at the nausea stage, so he had to be in the front seat to have access to the window and the glove box for additional barf bags. This meant I had to cram three people into the back seat, one of whom was 6'6". Good thing all that drinking had made him flexible.

We put the shortest person in the middle of the back seat, but she's 5'5" and that's about the max height for comfort in the seat, never mind on the hump. Result was that it was a clown-car tight fit.

We run into a roadcheck. I get to the front, roll the window down, get the usual "had anything to drink tonight?"

"I haven't, they have," I say -- meanwhile our girl in the back has her purse in her lap and her arms crossed over her middle, though I'm not sure if that was a deliberate attempt to conceal the lack of a seat belt or a lack of space forced her into that position. The officers (one on either side) take a look at me, the passengers, look in the back -- and then I get the smile of approval. I'm quite certain he realized there shouldn't have been three people in the back seat, it was pretty obvious how crammed in they were, but I guess he figured better to encourage the designated driver.

genericly
02-14-2011, 08:35 AM
A couple times, I'm more paranoid now so it doesn't happen as much.

I was going through some uh..marital issues, and was doing 95 on the interstate - and this undercover flashes me, I had just gotten off work so I'm still in uniform and I'm cursing myself as I pull over, I'm outside my mileage and I don't have a pass (to be so far off post, you need to apply, it's like 50 miles for a day, or 200 for a weekend iirc? haven't been in garrison in awhile). The undercover walks up to me, and asks why I'm going so fast - so I spill it to him, my entire story about my wife cheating on me, and me going to pick up my daughter - I conclude with "You must get these kind of sob stories every time." The cop just shakes his head, and tells me not to speed in the construction zone, and then points out all the orange cones and lets me go.

I've gotten flashed driving like an idiot on my bike on the Mobile bridge, once, I was kind of flabbergasted - there's plenty of local myths about cops getting killed pulling people over so I try to pull over my ex250 (yea, don't make fun of me, I miss that little banger) and the cop just wags his finger at me as he speeds by.

chickenstomp
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I've been pulled over dozens of times in the last couple years. I still have a clean record, with only two citations and both got waved. Maybe I'm just really lucky, or maybe the cops around here are just jerks

4thgenceli
02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Too many times to count.

Rolling through a red light making a turn at a 3 way intersection
-No west at the intersection, was heading north and turned east. Light turned red I just rolled though my turn. PUlled over, let go with a warning (while driving on a suspended license & warrant out for my arrest). He didn't check my license.

102 in a 25mph
-Construction on the freeway. Normal speed limit 65mph. Construction zone was 25mph with posted signs saying Double fines when workers present. Had 4 guns in the car with me on the way to work and the range afterwards.

Few more times, but those two are the most memorable, namely the 102mph.

GT4RC
02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Only once. First time ever pulled over. I will never forget it. I think I was doing 80 in a 60 (km/h) one of the first days ever driving my GTS after I bought it from my parents. Unmarked car pulls me over, cop walks up to the window:

"do you know why I pulled you over?" He asks
"I think I was speeding officer"
"Yup, 20 over. License and registration please"

So I fumble giving him what I think are the right papers since never having done this, and he goes back to his car. I then realize I gave him the old papers which I should have thrown out. So I get out of the car, go back to him and hand him the correct ones, apologizing because I just didnt know any better.

As I leave his car to return to mine, he calls me back and asks me to get my friend to come see him.... (my friend lost his license to speeding a few weeks earlier)

"Uhh Rob, he wants to see ya."
"What?!"
"Yeah, I dunno wtf he wants"

So I sit there for like 15 minutes with the 2 of them sitting in the cop car, wondering whats up.
Rob comes back, bit of a smirk on his face, won't talk. Cop walks up.

"Do you realize you don't have an N displayed on the vehicle?"
"No sir, The magnet may have fallen off, It's a lot of plastic back there."
"Well that with this speeding ticket are walking papers for you. Do you understand that?" He says.
"Well I do now....." (At this point I think the end of my little world is gonna come crashing down.)
Well, it's your lucky day. This ticket is a warning, but there is a catch. Rob here tells me you're a stand-up guy, so you get to take him out to dinner, a nice steak, some wine, and then you drive him home. If he doesnt call me tomorrow to tell me about it I'll be pulling over every punk speeder and I'll be especially looking for you"

Seriously, no joke, lets me off if I wine and dine my buddy for the evening.

Cop leaves, Rob says to me "lets hit up mcdonalds and call it a day, I'll take meg out tonight"

P.S. I've now had over 45 points on my license (min 3 per speeding ticket) since that day, And haven't had a ticket in a couple years now. I keep them all, including that one, in a scrap book.

T-spoon
02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
I got another one from a sheriff's officer near Boeing Field. Apparently he didn't like that I didn't slow down for him when he almost pulled out in front of me on his bike at a yield (no lights, he was just in traffic). I then made the vile and evil mistake of changing lanes twice thereafter (with proper turn signal usage) with only 5 car-lengths of clearance at 45 mph. I got to hear from yet another police officer that he understands people don't know how to drive in Seattle, but that means the onus on me is to not drive in a way that is perceived aggressive so as to not upset the status quo. If I had argued with him I am certain (and he said as much) that he would have given me a ticket for reckless driving, which would have been a huge pile of BS, but difficult to fight.

Plain and simple, in Seattle they demand that you putter around slowly and brake for every shadow. Don't you dare be decisive.

zmile06
02-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Got pulled over a couple times for no front license plate got off two times for that... Got pulled over for no rear lights working got let go... Went speeding in a school zone (stupid), got let go, he also said my rear license plate light was off. Only time i got a ticket was when i was going 20 over, but i was late for work and construction made me detour and blah. The cops in taht city are dicks though...

Galcobar
02-16-2011, 08:39 AM
They let you off with a warning four times, give you a ticket for 20 miles over the limit and they're dicks?

mtp_69_i
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
They let you off with a warning four times, give you a ticket for 20 miles over the limit and they're dicks?

what he said. 20mph over is just about loss of licence territory where I'm from.

Only time I even got let off for something was this one time (driving my old 4th gen as it happens) when I'd been out of town for a while and just got got back. Jumped in the car for a bit of a drive and happened to pull up next to a mate of mine in his car at an intersection. Anyways, having not had a good drive in a while (and at their insistence) I launched pretty hard from the light (green) leaving a big cloud of smoke. probably got up to about 80km (50mph) in a 60k zone when I notice the red and blue lights behind me...

I pull over and the bike cop comes up asking me what the hurry was about. I told him I hadn't driven for a while and forgot how much poke the celica (a rather unpokable 3sfe) had. "And the wheel spin?" he asks. I told him the tyres were brand new (true) and must've been a bit waxy still. Totally bullshit answer but he just looked over at them and said, "yeah, they do look pretty new." Then tells me to stick to the speed limit and then lets me go. To this day he is the only cool cop I've ever been pulled over by, and by rights should've busted my ass.

Hookecho
02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I pass through a few smaller municipalities in order to get home from work. This is usually late at night. Sometimes I get pulled over by a Cop who is hunting.

chickenstomp
02-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I got pulled over this morning on my way to work for not having a plate on the front. He warned me about my exhaust as well. He then proceeded to interrogate me about whether or not I'd been smoking weed. After he let me go, he followed me for about 2-3 miles then flipped another U-turn and pulled someone else over

ericfragola
02-17-2011, 11:16 PM
case 1: i just get my autocross alltrac that ISNT street legal. it was running straight headers. so it was beyond loud. i was showing it off and all my VIP friends were talking shit about how ugly it was. so i went to take one for a drive. well 2 of my friends wanted to join in. i only had 1 seat in the car. one friend was sitting on a gt4 manual as a seat, and the other 2 were hanging out in the back seat. (no one had seats or seatbelts but me) im pulling out of my community and here comes a cop. my car stalled and he had enough time to turn around and pull me over...this is what the car looked like when i was driving it,

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/ericfragola1/2010-07-18075547_Fairfield_California_US.jpg
so! this car was a lemons car. it had a fake gas tank welded onto the roof that said MOONSHINE, it had a handicap guy painted on it, etc etc.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/ericfragola1/2010-07-18075117.jpg

so im driving arounbd in this car thats obviously not normal. its about midnight and im creeping through the neighborhood, anyways. the cop comes up and says, so this thing runs off moonshine? he takes everyones IDs and comes back and says, ok so i dont have enought tickets in my car to give you so what im going to do, is give you 2 options. either we can go to the station and get more tickets and write you about 2inches thick of tickets, or my partner and i can sit here at the bottom of the hill and laugh at you kids while you try and push the car uphill back to your house. (the car diudnt have any windows) and my friend in the back seats climbs thru the side of the rollcage and crawls out of the window and says well gladly push it! it ended up being too heavy and my friend got his truck to tow me. it was such an experience...because i had JUST gotten the car and they said next time i see it driving its getting impounded...phew! what a close one!

case 2:...a couple weeks ago i was practicing my launch. i have bubbly purple rear window tint on my 165 (so when i looked behind me i didnt see anything). i looked left right and straight ahead, i revved my rpms to 6200, light turn green, i dropped the clutch and flew off. i look into my left mirror that happens to say "objects in mirror are losing" and the first thing i see is a cop with his lights. i pulled into the gas station and the first thing he asks me was "what the hell are you doing?!" i said id gotten a new clutch and wanted to test it out. he looks and me and runs my liscnese. comes back a couple minutes later and gives me a written warning...he said i couldve gotten a $500+ ticket for exhibition of speed, because my tires chirped and when they chirp it basically says youre not in control. so i happily drove home with my heart pumping.

Lonestag
02-17-2011, 11:21 PM
I think the one that sticks out for me (out of the 21 times I have been pulled over in the last eight years) was the time I accidently out-ran the cops.

I was driving to my highschool one evening and I turned onto a back road leading out of a quiet little town. I made the turn a little hard because it sneaks up on you and immediatly a cop pulled up behind me.

Well, it was dark and I had no idea I had a police officer on me, so I just kinda kept driving out along the road. The police officer kept right on my tail, no red and blue, just a pair of headlights. After about a mile and a half, I got a little spooked by some one following me that close (this is WV, most cars are seperated by a couple miles of road), so I speed up just a bit. Of course the cop stayed right on me.

At this point I made the genius decision to punch it. A 97 Legacy wagon isn't a powerhouse but it's fairly low to the ground, AWD and mine was a five speed. Considering I drove the back roads every day of my life, and I knew this one like the back of my hand, it only took me about two minutes to get him out of my rear view mirror. Another two minutes and I pulled up behind another car and resumed sane speeds.

Well, about thirty seconds later, the officer comes flying up behind me and finally turns on his red and blues. I thought I was dead, I probably went into a mild state of shock, cold sweat and all. I don't know why, but I had just convinced myself that there was no way the guy that was following me had been a cop.

I have NO IDEA why, but the guy let me off with a "you picked the wrong guy to race" and a "you know how many kids I've scraped off the road after pulling stunts like that?." I was 16, and had just done +75mph on a 25mph back road with a cop right behind me, I thought I was toast.

And yeah, some cops are dicks, but so are some accountants, proffessions don't make the people.

T-spoon
02-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I guess in the real spirit of the thread the warnings I've gotten don't really count, since they weren't for actually breaking the law, (being warned for not driving politely, driving too aggressively, following too closely etc. It's not currently illegal to drive "aggressively" although they're working on that one in Washington state). I've never gotten off with a warning for actually doing something (got three tickets when I was 17 for going 5-10 over on the freeway). I've also had three bogus tickets dismissed, one the cop didn't show, and 2 others the judge agreed with me. I am very polite and cooperative, but I can tell you that wont get you out of a ticket. It can keep you from talking your way INTO a ticket though if they know they didn't pull you over for a real infraction and are just fishing cause they don't like the cut of your jib.

Facime
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree with what the spoonman says. Still pays to be polite and respectful, but dont think its gonna get you out of anything you werent already out of before he or she came to your window.

schnee
02-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Over here I get pulled over just sothat they can admire the car!

My record is 197.76km/h without a fine. The fact that I was in Navy uniform, it was 3am and I did stop and wait for them etc did help.

Cops are human, treat em with respect and you'll be amazed what you can get away with!