PDA

View Full Version : Bushings.

MrMcQuacker
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
When I was changing my rear struts I noticed how wobbly my suspension was moving left right front back way to easy. Took a look at where the movement was comming from and it seems to be from the rubber. And all of em are pretty bad and warn out. Can anyone tell me where I can find Performance bushing for the rear and possibly the fronts too please. I saw 4 bushing in the rear. didn't see the front but since I'm at it ill do the fronts as well. Ty

MrMcQuacker
02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
i mean their is 8 bushings in the rear just 4 on each side ;)

KoreanJoey
02-12-2011, 04:36 AM
There are two front and two rear for the front lower control arm.

MrMcQuacker
02-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Do you know where I can get performance bushings?

genericly
02-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Assuming you're driving an st165(er, or 4? I think [as your name hints at!]) Red Rocket Performance & Design is supposed to have a line on some, or did. I PM'd him and am still waiting a response. Apparently a couple of other people are waiting too. I have high hopes! Since Whiteline's support bushing wise went the way of the dodo.

KoreanJoey
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
www.toyheadauto.com

genericly
02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
www.toyheadauto.com

You're amazing, google let me down on that one.

genericly
02-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I decided to look a little harder, and found http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GT4-SUSPENSIONS/_i.html?_fsub=277004019.

I did some napkin math and concluded to replace all my bushings from toyheadauto.com was around 500 - and that was for control arms + sway bars.

The ebay guy is 380ish euro, which is just over 500, and has bushings for the subframe and diff mount which weren't listed in toyheadauto.com (unless he used different terminology since I'm new I would have missed it) - is there something I'm missing? Or does the ebay guy just offer a better price - is there anything I should look out for when buying these poly bushings?

*edit*

"Hi,
thank you for interesting in our celica parts :)
Prices are:
- front bushing kit - 55GBP
- rear bushing kit - 139GBP
- front links - 49GBP
- rear links - 45GBP

I can give 15% discount if you like to order all this items, so it could be 244GBP for all this parts.
Combined airmail priority to US will be 24GBP"

Now we're at 440 shipped, is there any reason I shouldn't get this?

MrMcQuacker
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Oo
Man i need Bushing but that is pretty out of my range right now. Darnit. I was thinking. Ive heard of people making Poly mounts for their motor mounts of out scratch. Is it possible to make our own bushing out of that stuff 2?

CollapsedNut
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I have been looking into making poly bushings. Smooth-On.com sells the best urethane rubber but its a lot of work.

MrMcQuacker
02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
So it can be done though. Hey if its time is needed that's 1 thing i kind of have sometimes :)

jaydog82
02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
check out this site http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&sort=2a&page=2.

klapa
03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
So that is interesting to me - as I'm going over the suspension on my '91 ST-185 and noticed there were no Toyota part numbers for any bushings.

The dealer here told me that I had to buy the arm!

Yet I see all these places offer both front and rear bushing kits.

So the old ones will just press out?

Galcobar
03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
There are no Toyota bushings for the rear suspension arms -- that's the correct terminology for the four arms which run laterally in two pairs to the rear wheels. The strut rod is what runs longitudinally.

The other issue is that they're not just bushings. The suspension arms use spherical bearings. The cost to replace those is essentially the same as buying a whole arm, which can be had for about US$100 from Litihia or 1sttoyotaparts.com, or for an incredible discount if you're signed up with the Toyota Motorsports Program (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?22972-Toyota-Motorsports%21). Replacing them with rubber or polyurethane has its own issues, though it has been done on All-trac/GT4 Celicas, which use a slightly different rear suspension setup given they also have an axle back there. Discussion thread regarding potential replacements and what won't work:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?668-TECH-Suspension-Components-For-Your-T-series%281986-1999%29-Celica

klapa
03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks.

I'm not rushing off to replace them just yet.

I'm fixing my wheel bearing and mounting my coilovers, and during that process I'm going to thoroughly inspect all the suspension and the underside of the car as well.

I want to be sure this car isn't hiding too much rust before I put much money in it.