PDA

View Full Version : 5S-FE to 3S-GTE Swap

Jeter
02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking about putting a 3sgte in my 94 celica. Was wanting a general outlook of my expenses and how much trouble i'm goin to have swapping over. Any and all help would be great, thanks.

Hookecho
02-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I did my swap for about $2000. That bought me a motor, fuel pump, boost controller, boost gauge, head gasket, timing belt, and tune up items.

The cost will depend on what gen 3sgte you buy and who you buy it from. If you buy the gen 3 you'll spend $2000 on just the motor and shipping.

Jeter
02-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah i've been looking into it. I don't want to spend to much but I am wanting an engine swap mainly because of the 200k+ miles on my 5sfe. Figured it'd be the best way to go for a turbo'd celica.

andy
02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
you will need approx 3k. prob a lil more.
heres what i bought
engine from reliable source (jarco inc) 2300 for halfcut
clutch 350
intercooler from ebay
misc crap

Cavanagh
02-11-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?81-Thinking-about-swapping-READ-THIS-FIRST

:D

4thgenceli
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I did my swap for about $2000. That bought me a motor, fuel pump, boost controller, boost gauge, head gasket, timing belt, and tune up items.

The cost will depend on what gen 3sgte you buy and who you buy it from. If you buy the gen 3 you'll spend $2000 on just the motor and shipping.

Man you got off cheap lmao.

Hookecho
02-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I didn't mention the cost of exhaust. I did that myself for $80 in material. The motor shipped to my door was $1450.

Jeter
02-12-2011, 06:03 AM
It's so much work and I have no help. I have the tools but no garage and no cherry picker. My baby is probably just gonna have to stay stock. Can't afford to buy her new things lol. Just glad she can't leave me like my girlfriend would.

klapa
02-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Is there any other NA engine that would be good for a swap in a 5th gen 5SFE - such as a 3SGE?

4thgenceli
02-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Still need wiring work. Best bet would be to reseal the 5sfe and do basic mods (intake/header/exhaust/etc).

Jeter
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm gonna do the swap by the end of the year. Is there anything aftermarket I can put on while I wait for the swap that I won't have to get rid of. I'm doing the engine and tranny swap because I want the AWD. What all can I buy to prep for it, such as axles, struts, springs etc.

4thgenceli
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna do the swap by the end of the year. Is there anything aftermarket I can put on while I wait for the swap that I won't have to get rid of. I'm doing the engine and tranny swap because I want the AWD. What all can I buy to prep for it, such as axles, struts, springs etc.

If that's your ultimate goal, just buy an alltrac. Cheaper in the long run.

Jeter
02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
90% of the alltracks have been modded. I want something bone stock. That way when i'm done with her I'll know the trouble I went through to make her what she is. That will help me to take better care of her and put the parts on that I prefer. If I could get ahold of a 94 alltrack stock for a decent price then i'll jump on it even if she needs alot of work. But my chances of that are slim.

ChrisD
02-17-2011, 06:00 PM
alltrac does not have a K

Also, they were only produced for the US between 88-93.

Jeter
02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I thought the ones produced in japan after 93 were still refered to as alltrac. If so I was refering to buying a 94 that has already been imported. I'd love to own a rhd.

UtahSleeper
02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
You can't turn your car into an alltrac cheaply or reliably (from what few have tried). Just save the money and buy a trac.

Luni
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
They were called Alltracs in north america until the 6th generation ones. Everywhere else theyre known as GT-Fours.

ChrisD
02-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I thought the ones produced in japan after 93 were still refered to as alltrac. If so I was refering to buying a 94 that has already been imported. I'd love to own a rhd.

Well, getting a '94 into the US is incredibly difficult...even more difficult if you want to do it legally.

temperacerguy
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
You DO NOT want to know what it costs to legally federalize a JDM or Euro car. I just went through the process with my/the wife's 360. It was almost the cost of the car itself. There is SO SO SO much that needs to be swapped that you don't think about... (headlights, tail lights, windshield, glass, door beams, front and rear bumpers (even that stupid foam inside the bumper covers), airbags, emissions system, exhaust, the list goes on and on and on...

There are ways of doing is "Grey", and I have a R32 GT-R that's a grey market import, but you constantly live with the fear of the DOT finding the car and crushing it.

Dr Mojo
02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
I know it's a little off the topic but has anyone done a 5S-FE to Beams 3S-GE swap? I figure this should be easier? Would the ECU be a plug out old plug in new without major wiring changes?

Nitro_Alltrac
02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I know it's a little off the topic but has anyone done a 5S-FE to Beams 3S-GE swap? I figure this should be easier? Would the ECU be a plug out old plug in new without major wiring changes?

Simple answer no. Two completely different engines. Getting it the car wouldn't be terribly difficult but you'll have to do the wiring. Look in Dr. Tweaks section on here. He's doing a Beams into a 6th gen I think.

ChrisD
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Outsider on this board did a 5sfe to Beams 3sge swap. Difficulty level is about the same as a 3SGTE. Maybe more difficult due to limited availability of Beams wiring info.

Dr Mojo
02-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by AMChrisD
Outsider on this board did a 5sfe to Beams 3sge swap. Difficulty level is about the same as a 3SGTE. Maybe more difficult due to limited availability of Beams wiring info.

Thanks for that. Sounds like I need to look into the wiring situation a little more before I jump into this one.