PDA

View Full Version : A bit pissed.. Mini is down..

david in germany
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
In December I had an oil leak on the turbo and mini repaired it (replaced the gaskets on the banjo bolt) less than 2 months later I am out if guarantee and the banjo bolt separates from the oil line spilling oil in the same location... repair will be about $1k.. I purchased the extended guarantee but it apparently only covers the main parts like engine, tranny, electronics, turbo but not oil feed to the turbo... The dealer told me that if the turbo would have died because of the lack of oil it would have been covered...
So much for being meticulous and finding problems before they get too big... If I was in the states my guarantee would be 4 years with free everything including wipers and brakes but since I am here.. 2 years...

Hookecho
02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
So, are you gonna just fix it yourself and save the money?

Is it just the gasket that blew out or did the bolt work loose? I wonder what could be causing the same problem to reoccur like that. Other than not torquing the bolt enough.

david in germany
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
The line is actually broken now. BMW should have it fixed this afternoon. If I had known about all the issues I would have done it myself though. The problem that causes it is a bad designed oil feed line. It is a hard line with a crimp seal with some kind of weak gasket inside of it..
Not sure is this pic will work as it is not mine but the leak location is the same mine is a bit worse though, the oil actually flows out when the car is running.
http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN2208.JPG

Hookecho
02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Seems like a pita to have to deal with something like that. Especially when it's bound to happen again.

Maybe you would have less trouble out of a braided line if you can find one.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
That is a weak design. I would have thought BMW would have done a better engineering job on a cruical part like that.

david in germany
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
That is a weak design. I would have thought BMW would have done a better engineering job on a cruical part like that.

Agreed!

ChrisD
02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Sheesh, you'd think oil lines would be a bit better than that. If it weren't such a new car I'd be inclined to convert it to AN fittings and use braided SS lines. Not only are they dead reliable, they are pretty too. :D

david in germany
02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Got the car back. as a good will they knocked off 50% of the labor charges so it took me to just under $400. Chris, that may be an option in the Mini's future!

Night_Wolf
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Got the car back. as a good will they knocked off 50% of the labor charges so it took me to just under $400. Chris, that may be an option in the Mini's future!

Damn thats still a lot! Are mini's a pain to work on?

Facime
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Sounds like an opportunity for someone to research, fab and market a retrofit kit.

alltracNyx
02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
^ What he said!

CriScO
02-10-2011, 06:13 AM
:lol_hitting::lmfao:

david in germany
02-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Damn thats still a lot! Are mini's a pain to work on? Depends on the part. I need to put the car up on a lift to see if I can have access to the bottom feed point. If it is doable I will upgrade to the an/ss option, It looks like the banjo bolt is a common size and there are lots of options out there for SS lines for other models that look like they would work. I really do not like the stock feed line as it is REALLY small and the coupling seems like it is free floating inside the crimp (I can move it around) I think they rolled the inside and added a small o-ring to keep it sealed.. Part will fail again, I am certain of it.. This one lasted almost 60k miles but I will make it better before it fails again..

david in germany
02-11-2011, 07:01 AM
I am now working with a fabricator in the states to come out with a SS feed line kit for the Mini. :)

Fuck your repetitive repair costs BMW/MINI.
We are thinking about 2 versions, 1 straight replacement and one with a t-fitting/block for oil pressure measurement as the mini never had an oem pressure gauge. both should be simple remove the stock banjo bolts, yank out the oem line and bolt on the new SS line.

Facime
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
told ya it was an opportunity

ChrisD
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice!

klapa
02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I am now working with a fabricator in the states to come out with a SS feed line kit for the Mini. :)

Fuck your repetitive repair costs BMW/MINI.
We are thinking about 2 versions, 1 straight replacement and one with a t-fitting/block for oil pressure measurement as the mini never had an oem pressure gauge. both should be simple remove the stock banjo bolts, yank out the oem line and bolt on the new SS line.

I would have thought they would have covered it under warranty because they fixed excatly the same problem under warranty and it still failed.

Oil pressure gauge is a MUST in any performence car IMO - but normally the oil pressure monitoring point is the place with the lowest oil pressure - like the top end galley that feeds the cams and lifters.