PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Uninstalling!

Zabimaru
02-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I just spent a day disassembling the area surrounding my steering wheel to try and trace a problem that fixed itself when I put everything back together, but in the process I found an alarm and possible former remote start installed by previous owners and currently non-functional to the best of my knowledge.

It is a viper alarm system and I've found some info on it online, but my big question is what should I be cautious of as I plan to remove this junk from my car. There's a lot of wires and I'm really not sure what functional aspects of my car this thing is jacked into currently.

I am pretty sure it is no longer attached to the ignition, but does anyone see any issues with just removing the box and tracing the wires out over time?

Also there is a Potter & Brumfield power relay strapped on to this thing, I'm assuming that was part of the alarm installation, yes?

187flatliner
02-09-2011, 04:31 AM
check with an alarm install place first, alot of the times they will let you know what to take out and what not to mess with.

david in germany
02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
As long as the ignition wire is not cut for a starter kill function you should be fine. The bulk of most alarms will control starter kill and door lock and unlock if you have power locks. the additional wires will be for a signal light, 2 powers, door pin switches, and a ground may be a couple of a accessory switches but disconnect the box and if your car still starts then you should be good to go.