PDA

View Full Version : gt35r?

MrMcQuacker
02-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Hey guys i have a really good possible deal. I can get a gt35r for somewhat cheap. My question is though. Slapping in on my stock set up, is it even possible to drive after just putting it on?. Will I blow the motor or something. Or can it be done but just on low boost? will Fuel be ok or will I run lean? I just want to by it, knowing that I can put it on and leave it stock psi and not worry about harming anything else yet.

JDM SNUKUMZ
02-07-2011, 03:33 AM
you'll be oka if you just slap it on and no mess with it

MrMcQuacker
02-07-2011, 05:26 AM
ok. Perfect. Mind me asking once I get it slapped on. Will there be a Big HP gain compared too 225? Also what is the Max PSI I should run on it before pushing its limits too far? Motor is Very Healthy. Last time the Compression was done, it was nearly perfect.

ChrisD
02-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I would keep it at very low boost levels...whatever WG pressure is. I dunno, my personal preference would to not install it until I could at least monitor the A/F with a wideband. That is a pretty big turbo.

90all-trac
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
If you were to do it, keep it at very low boost like 4-5lbs. That turbo will push a lot more CFM/air at spool so it could lean out on stock ECU. My person opinion is don't do it until you get a proper fuel stystem and tuning option.

WALKER
02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I agree with the other comments, this is a very big turbo so keep down in the 4-5 psi range at most. I would not recommend "slapping" this on without installing a wideband gauge at a minimum. Also make sure you have a good boost gauge and controller in place.

BabyBear
02-07-2011, 07:10 PM
That thing wouldn't be very fun to drive at 4-5psi either I wouldn't imagine. I wouldn't put that kind of turbo on my car unless I had all the supporting mods to handle that big of a turbo.

MrMcQuacker
02-08-2011, 02:01 AM
well its a nice deal lol. $250 :) nearly brand new. Friend just bought a t88 and wanted that instead. So kool. Once I slap it on how do i lower my boost that low? isn't stock like 7-9 psi? Also if you were to put a MBC on at close or open whichever it is, isn't it already at stock boost before messing with it? Sorry if the question seems really dumb. Mind me asking Considering the Supporting mods. Like what exactly would I need to abuse this beast at like 8-10psi? From what I've heard, all I would need is Bigger Fuel Rail or/and strong Fuel Pump. As on mods I am currently running 3" DP and a FMIC. Besides Colder Plugs. What other Big factors would fall in to play in order for me to use this as a DailyDriver. FYI I rarely abuse the car. I probably gun it once every other day to maybe sometimes go weeks without abuse.

UtahSleeper
02-08-2011, 05:00 AM
A wideband I think would be a must.

Something to control the bigger injectors would probably be good to.

lalojamesliz
02-08-2011, 06:02 AM
^ x2

BabyBear
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Honestly, I doubt that turbo would even start to get into its efficiency curves and what not till around 15psi.

The bigger fuel rail and or stronger fuel pump will help a little bit, but you are going to need bigger injectors if you want this thing to even be worth driving. Your stock 440 injectors wont even get you to 300 whp and that turbo is rated somewhere around 400-600hp.

If you put this on, you are going to absolutely kill your spool. It'll take forever for it to hit that 7-9psi you wanna run. I personally wouldn't run that turbo unless I had a proper IC, a built motor, big injectors, and a standalone.

A 35R is a BFT.

ChrisD
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Honestly I think you should buy the turbo, leave it in a box until you are ready to make use of it. For me, I probably wouldn't bother with a turbo that large until I had forged internals and could safely turn up the boost.

The boost will be whatever the wastegate is set for. Since that turbo more than likely is using an external wastegate, it will be whatever the WG spring pressure is. Is the WG included? Downpipe? Exhaust manifold adaptor? Oil/coolant lines?

That turbo, used within the limits of the stock fuel injectors (275whp max) will probably not be very fun. I really don't know what PSI that will be at, it could be 8, or 10, or 4. Most people rarely run a turbo of that size under 17psi so it's hard to say.

Fuel rail & fuel pump are good upgrades for safety, yes.

But here's a tip: reliability on these engines is directly related to the TUNING. I think you should consider how exactly you will be able to tune your engine to handle that turbo.

WALKER
02-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Honestly, I doubt that turbo would even start to get into its efficiency curves and what not till around 15psi.

Actually you would be surprised about this turbo, but it does get into the compressor curve at 5psi. The efficiency is essentially the same from 5psi right up to 15psi on a 3S-GTE, based upon the quick curves I just generated. Looks like you will be right up against the surge line for most pressures on the 2L engine. One thing I should note is this assumes that full boost is reached by 50% Redline, which is probably not a fair assumption with this big turbo. It will most likely be much higher RPM before it reached full boost, which would change the slope of the one line.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_dVQEH6BdvXI/TVF5Pcqxc2I/AAAAAAAACbo/vX6CeL9c5fA/GT35R%20%283S-GTE%29.GIF

Saying that, it wouldn't be very fun to drive at low pressure, and I don't recommend installing this turbo until you have internals and proper engine to handle this big turbo. The thing with this turbo is it has the capability to handle high levels of boost pressure on the 3S-GTE if you have supporting mods.

Sang
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Better make damn sure your wastegate routing is efficient, and/or use a v44 to keep base pressure down in the 5-7psi range.

With that said, it'll be a POS to drive unless you slap on a meth kit for more fuel...if it's pump gas only, you'll be limited to making the same power at a 20B or td06 with significantly more lag. with $250, you could be 1/4 of your way to putting together a 17C kit and have a much better power band on both pump and on methanol/ethanol/race gas.

BabyBear
02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Just out of sheer curiosity, with this $250 price tag, does this include the adapter plate and all of the lines and such that would allow you to bolt this up to a 3SGTE?

MrMcQuacker
02-09-2011, 05:47 AM
No I wish. Only thing I will be getting if the Turbo and the Adapter. Also SANG. I've never heard of a 17C kit. Where can I look or read about this?

Sang
02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
17C = Compressor Wheel
TD06 = Turbine

TD06-17C (and vice versa) is the complete name of the turbo. The 17C is easier to find used for cheap than a 20G and with the smaller wheel it has better spool than the 20G. They also have a wet chra as opposed to the 20G's offered in the 3S market are either wet or oil only.

90all-trac
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Buy the turbo and save to safely run it :) $250 is a really good deal! Don't bother with anything smaller, i went 20G and was not happy with 300 AWHP. It was a total waste of money as i sold the whole kit and fuel system for a 1k or more loss not to mention the tuning time and money. GT35 FTW!!!

v8killer
02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
i would say u could go as high as 11 psi with a good intercooler and a preperly cleaned fuel system. any more and you will need forged pistons at least but your fuel system could do 260-280 whp depending on the fuel used.