PDA

View Full Version : Winter Car Washing?

chickenstomp
02-04-2011, 11:35 PM
So do you guys go to the carwash during the winter? Or do you just let all the nastiness cake itself onto your paint? I can't really wash it myself in below freezing weather in N. Idaho.

I just hate to see dirt all over the-otherwise-good-condition paint. For being a '93 body, the paint is in incredible shape, and all other vehicles I've owned have been in bad shape paint-wise, so I guess I'm a little obsessive about it.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-04-2011, 11:52 PM
When I was still in WV, during the winter I'd run the car through the touchless car wash, with the undercarriage wash, on days it got above freezing. I figure it's best to get the salt and crud off the car as often as possible.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Once a week wash in Cincinnati at the coin wash when they were salting the roads like they lacked plows.

4thgenceli
02-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I tried to wash my windshield this morning on the dd at the gas station while filling up. I then spent ten minutes scraping ice off the windshield.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-05-2011, 12:27 AM
^I have had success using Rain-X DeIcer for that very situation.

187flatliner
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
i carry deicer with me during the winter months as my doors like to not close when its cold. i use to have to drive to work hanging onto the door cause it wouldnt close. and it works wonders on the windshield too.

zmile06
02-05-2011, 01:04 AM
If you mess with the latch to close the door with a screw driver or i used a key once it will eventually break loose and stay closed.

I should wash my car, but i'm really too lazy to when it's 10 degrees out.

187flatliner
02-05-2011, 01:42 AM
its faster with the deicer.

joe's gt
02-05-2011, 02:45 AM
The rain washes my car.

Grot
02-05-2011, 03:29 AM
I wash it in spring.

Fuck that dirt. i dont care about my paint that much. I wash my trucks maybe 4 times a year.

Hookecho
02-05-2011, 04:17 AM
What is this winter you speak of?

zmile06
02-05-2011, 02:46 PM
What is this winter you speak of?

I need to move where you live i hate ohio!

T-spoon
02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
When I was still in WV, during the winter I'd run the car through the touchless car wash, with the undercarriage wash, on days it got above freezing. I figure it's best to get the salt and crud off the car as often as possible.

^This. It doesn't snow/ice here too often, but if it does and I have to drive in it, I at least spray off the undercarriage and clean the bottom. If you leave that crud on there the chances of not getting rust cancer aren't good.

alltracman78
02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
This is why the Alltrac is in the garage for the winter.
I spray off the truck at work whenever it gets above freezing, I do it early so it has time to dry.

187flatliner
02-05-2011, 07:24 PM
i learned the hard way about washing in winter tho........an asshole took a beer and poured it on flatliner when i was at a party....... he was pretty fucking drunk so one hit to the mouth and he was done. i went at 12am or so and washed the beer off so it wouldn't be there, by the time i got to the car wash place the beer was already frozen. i washed her anyway and went back......well to say the least the next morning i get up to go to work.....and she was solid ice. i had to get a ride that morning. i felt so dumb.

Facime
02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I have to wash cars all year 'round. If its dry enough out I just blow dry on the highway a few miles. I also have a woodstove in my shop and compressed air if its real nasty. The day I had to start work on that sport-trac it was pouring down rain. Im sure I looked rather silly washing a car in the pouring rain.

ChrisD
02-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Wash it when you can. By hand is best b/c you're far less likely to freeze your doors/locks. An undercarriage spray down is nice when you can too. Best bet is to avoid driving it when the snow/ice is melting. It's best when everything is still frozen or melted enough that the roads are dry.

90all-trac
02-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I take my IS300 through the touchless car wash twice a week to get the undercarrage and coilovers washed also.

90all-trac
02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Also it would be smart to give her a good wax job before winter to seal up the paint ;)

manda
02-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I use a touchless carwash abt every 3 weeks or so in the winter to keep her clean.. in the summer I hand was when possible- typically once a week to every 2 weeks.. interior gets wiped down at the same time, and vacuumed out every couple washes as needed... If you cant tell, I like my car clean. lol

DudeMan
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
I try and wash my truck when its between -20*C & -10*C.

If its too warm the roads get miserably dirty, slushy and wet. After a 5 minute drive there's just as much crap on there again, defeating the purpose..

If its too cold all the doors, locks and windows freeze up, obviously.

Invest in a little bottle of lock deicer, a quick spray inside the lock cylinder will loosen it up, even in -30* weather. Any car wash should have them.

187flatliner
02-06-2011, 03:59 AM
in the summer I hand was when possible- typically once a week to every 2 weeks.. interior gets wiped down at the same time, and vacuumed out every couple washes as needed... If you cant tell, I like my car clean. lol

where do you hide the videos of this?

manda
02-06-2011, 04:05 AM
:P

Cavanagh
02-07-2011, 06:57 AM
I take my IS300 through the touchless car wash twice a week to get the undercarrage and coilovers washed also.
What's your name on My.is?
Anywho, since the IS300 has literally been stuck on the street for about a week or more now with snow all around it, I haven't washed it. Otherwise I go to the car wash personal sprayer every week, no exceptions. If there is alot of snow and salt, sometimes more.