PDA

View Full Version : gen3 block issue confirmed and also disprooved !!

v8killer
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
so there has been some issues with the gen3 block strength and i have know the gen3 blocks that i have seen make high numbers have been doing so for a while. but u hear these horror stories that are mostly associated with tuning faults.

now on gtfours.co.uk they talk about thin and thick block and i thought it was bs.

until i saw one. apparently there was a casting imperfection that afflicts some of the 94-97 gen3 blocks and mind u there is no way to know how bad the imperfection is until u test the block.

now the 98+ gen3 blocks are all updated similar to the caldina gen4 block and they have no issue. this is why i always thought people were crazy to say the gen3 was weak.

the part numbers are different in the updated vs pre-update and u can find that info on gtfours.co.uk

but here is the thing if u blow ur gen3 by say blowing a piston or throwing a rod its cuz ur tuner was drunk. there is a specific area where the thin spot is, between cyl 2 and 3. so all other cracking issues or weakness issues are still not to be blamed on block weakness. keep ur 3s stock bore and be happy knowing that u can shoot passed the 500 awhp mark. unless you have one of these 94-97 gen3 blocks then u may want to have the block tested for cyl wall thickness before you get too happy. if u do have a 98 and up gen3 happy boosting.

also the pistons that come stock in the gen3 are hyper eutectic and are only slightly stronger than gen1/2 3sgte engines. so forged is still the way to go.

Luni
02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Wait. You said confirmed and disproved.

It is proven the older Gen3 blocks are thinner, therefore weaker.

So whats disproved? That you cant make big HP on a good Gen3 block?

Hookecho
02-05-2011, 04:10 AM
I think he's saying that there is a flaw but not all motors are affected. I was always under the impression that the gen3 blocks were weak.

Luni
02-05-2011, 07:50 AM
The revision 1 blocks were. And not ALL of them. This is old news. Fensport already has tested this years ago using ultrasound technology on various donor blocks.

All revision 2 blocks were better, and the 4th gen blocks are even better.

The best combination is a 98+ camry block with all Gen3 stuff installed (head, oiling system etc).

v8killer
02-05-2011, 02:26 PM
got damn it i am just behind the curve i guess and yeah i was just saying that a lot of the 94-97 are thin in the middle, thats the confirmed part the usually get a crack right down the cyl wall in cyl2 or 3 or throuh both haha. sad stuff tho but the revised blocks (98+) are f'n buff thats the disproved part. its maybe just coincidence that the ones i have mostly been seeing most likely were the revised 98+. i guess sleeving the block before trying to make higher power would be a good idea just in case

ChrisD
02-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Haha, what Luni said. Yep old news. ;)

Although it might be 96+, that was the year I had always heard for the 3S. For the 5S it was improved in some before 98, and all of them after 98.

ChrisD
02-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't bother sleeving a block. If you are going to go that route, just get the stronger block from the start and be done with it. The 98+ 5S block will be fine to almost any power level you can imagine.

v8killer
02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
i am pretty sure its the other way around for the 5s bottom end(96+), just that in the usa there may have been some revision1 5s blocks that were in a few cars from 96-97 hence why its just better to be sure for the 98+

i was saying to sleeve the revision1 gen3 block in case one wanted to stay at 1998cc lol

Luni
02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
The main thing about the 98+ 5S blocks is they have a lot of extra material by the coolant outlet, which is where some of the other ones have problems apparently.

JDM SNUKUMZ
02-07-2011, 03:31 AM
you can sleeve the block but still rish cracking behind the water pump but in 98 like everyone else said,it has thicker cylinder walls and more meat on the waterpump area.

v8killer
02-08-2011, 08:31 AM
the water pump area cracks are not power related faiures there are too many variables when it comes to that. it is a thinner part on the block as well but any crack that is on the outside of the block is not because of hp. if there is any sort of stretch in the head bolts or studs it may help that stuation to occur. also what temp climate were these failures in? i have never seen that here and josh has built several 600-700+ whp mr2's on the stock 3s block ((gen2/gen3 98+) and thats obviously different rods/pistons etc etc) without any cracking issues. like i said the actual weak area is between cyl 2&3 in the revision1 gen3

hell that cracking by the waterpump area could even be caused by overheating several times. too many variables.

lalojamesliz
02-08-2011, 11:52 AM
What's up Marco! When are you going to build another beast? A guy near you is giving away a 3sgte block!

ChrisD
02-08-2011, 04:59 PM
the water pump area cracks are not power related faiures there are too many variables when it comes to that. it is a thinner part on the block as well but any crack that is on the outside of the block is not because of hp. if there is any sort of stretch in the head bolts or studs it may help that stuation to occur. also what temp climate were these failures in? i have never seen that here and josh has built several 600-700+ whp mr2's on the stock 3s block ((gen2/gen3 98+) and thats obviously different rods/pistons etc etc) without any cracking issues. like i said the actual weak area is between cyl 2&3 in the revision1 gen3

hell that cracking by the waterpump area could even be caused by overheating several times. too many variables.

Cracking at the water pump is fairly common. I've seen quite a few. I think Sean cracked his a few years back there...

JDM SNUKUMZ
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM

cyl 3 is weak in the 3s motors up until 96.Cracking blocks have to do with hp in the sense that as the horsepower increase so does the pressure in the cylinder walls and the coolant system.You are right about the different factors but when you have a high hp motor most common factors that have been determined are power adders such as nitrous and tune

v8killer
02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
its common yes but not exactly because of weakness and yeah its sad that people are simply not doing things the right way anymore. especially on our now high mileage engines.

wussup eduardo!! i am actually u should pick up that block and have a stock cc spare engine :D are we still gonna make identical engines? u know u want the 2.1 :D :D